Gathering Pack Programs

Most Cub Scout Packs are pretty insular. Each unit does its own thing and not many people outside the unit have much of an idea of the kinds of things that the Cub Pack does.

If unit leaders saw the wide variety of things Cub packs do, they might pick some new activities that sound exciting and give them a try.

In theory that's what Cub Scout Roundtables should do. As a Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner, that's the kind of thing I'd like to do.

Does anyone have a district or council that publicizes programs like that? If so, how do they do it?

Not sure what they do today but when I was CM, there was a breakout meeting at roundtable in which the cub leaders met to talk about these things. Now, I think the new suggestions are circulated on various web sites and email lists. I just haven't kept up with it. But I will when grandson is old enough for me to return to the cubs. I love the cubs.

I try to get to our Roundtables, but they are held the same day as our Den Meetings. But the ones I've been to are not the "info share" that you're describing, but more of "council guy disseminates information from on high: recruiting, popcorn, FOS, JTE, recharter". The stronger Packs don't need Roundtables, and the weaker Packs get nothing of value.

As for the original question, I plan activities using two methods: I have about 6 years worth of digital pictures I can't post to our website (no permission slips/flyers from parents of long-gone scouts), but I can see what they did and get an idea of if it was a fun activity or not.

The second method is keeping track of my neighboring Packs by reading their websites/electronic newsletters. I was all gung-ho about arranging a Christmas Event at a local nursing home, until I saw it was already on the calendar of the Pack down the road.

In my area Packs do not publicly advertize what their Pack/den programing is. Unless an event is specifically open to the public, these are basically private, members only, events. In this day and age advertising these events to the public at large can even be dangerous.

At our Cub Roundtables, one of the biggest draws (IMO) is the ability to talk to, and get to know, folks from the different units around the district. There is always much talk about new ways to do traditional activities, and new things to do, places to go.

Some council/district newsletters will include a section on Scout friendly events coming up in the community.

Also, most Packs will have at least one computer/internet savvy person who browses for ideas online.

I don't think SP is talking about invites to specific programs, but rather just a general sharing of information and program ideas - themes - activities - projects - trips - visits - locations - tours - the nitty-gritty of Cubs. Is that right?

Personally, I think we too often re-invent the wheel in this line of work. The official program materials have some ideas, but I've picked up far more from these forums, talking with friends, NCS training, etc. There ought to be some sort of clearinghouse for program ideas, and Roundtables would seem the perfect way to get the info to the front lines.

"In my area Packs do not publicly advertize what their Pack/den programing is."

This caught my eye. It's probably a common way to operate if for no other reason than it's easy.

However, when I was reviving the pack years ago, I published our program as prominently as possible - public announcements in newspapers, radio, fliers posted in store windows. It was one of the major operational changes that boosted recruiting into the pack, not only of boys but of motivated parents as well. They can't want to join you if they don't know about you.

If I was CM again I'd make our program as visible as possible...we even had a publicity chair on the committee. Those were good days.

First, I made sure the CO got our 'news' into their weekly program of services. Prior to that, a lot of the church members didn't even know there WAS a pack, much less theirs. This meant a short paragraph about which dens were doing what things, etc. And a prominent announcement about the pack meeting each month. I coordinated the pack calendar with the church calendar so that the office staff would be able to answer phone questions from anyone who called.

Then, we took every opportunity to do things with fire departments, police departments, etc. and took photos when a den did one of these activities. The tigers went to the zoo or the science museum, etc. and we made sure that a good photo of the boys and a short description of the outing went to the local papers. The webelos would do an overnight at a local discovery place, same thing. The papers would use these kinds of things to fill out pages once in a while so while we couldn't depend on them being in print right away, they always eventually made it.

We supported the summer day camps, had two really nice family campouts each year, one of which coincided with the scout troop campout. We had fishing events, pinewood derby took over a month of activity, kite flying events, a pack olympics event, went canoeing on a local lake (yeah, I know), and did service projects like raking leaves for elderly persons, picking up trash around the lake, and the infamous scouting for food. There were so many things to do I can barely remember a fraction of them but when we did something, we followed through and told people about it. The boys took even more pride in doing it and so did the community.

The publicity person always had announcements on the local radio stations about the pack meetings or about special events we were doing (like roundup). The FCC requires them to do community service announcements so we contributed to them.

We made every parade and every community ceremony that we could, in uniform. There were always moms with babies or still pregnant and you could practically see the desire in their eyes...can't wait to get their little boys into something like this.

Of course at all these things, there is a limit to the amount of 'order' one can bestow on a pack of cubs so for the most part, we let them be cubs - safely. And it is sooooo endearing to watch them play and cut up and eat. It is a contagious feeling that I was counting on in the rest of the community.

Fairly quickly the community knew about the pack and became interested. The enrollment naturally followed and with it came some really good adult leaders. I felt good when I eventually left for the scouts.

It was just getting 'out there' for all of us, part of the fun, and the cubs were able to do this without that awkward self-consciousness of the scout-age boys.

Yes there were some rough spots and I developed a healthy contempt for the DE and council but, looking back, I'd take the cubs again in a heartbeat.

Our district roundtable has a general session, where both boy and cub adults get information from district, on things like PWD, popcorn sales, etc. They do raffles, get paperwork done, etc.

Then we break out, Cubs to one room, Boys to another. In our Cub sessions, we talk about Cub specific things. Also, our chair has a table she has designated as "the sharing table", where you can bring in things your pack has done or things you have found and used. She does handouts on various items, emails regularly, and is always available to answer questions. (She is our former CC, and her assistant chair is a former DL.)

We don't publicize what each pack is doing, specifically, but we do discuss things that we do--I've gotten a lot of great ideas from other packs this way.