Issue with transfer scouts, any options?

Dear God, Basementdweller, I am not an idiot. Of course I could get contact information for the other unit. And district is involved, as I said, and they will not be making a supportive call. I am going to go with their example since they know the unit in question and I don't. I really do think at this point it is between the families and the other unit and that my pack and district have made a good faith effort. The families have said they are pleased with their experience with us so far. THAT is what will keep these families in scouting,in my opinion.

And FTR, I am on good terms with several of the neighboring packs. I don't know all of them. We have 10 packs within 2 miles of our CO and 20 within 5 miles. I'm sure I will know them all eventually. Transfers are common and usually painless.

While it might be good PR for a unit to rebate to a transferring family (or to the unit they transferred to) the amount of their unit dues covering the months they would not be members of that unit, they are in no way required to do so.

In fact, if I received a call from another unit telling me to "put my big boy pants on" and fork over money to them, I would politely decline, and never take another call from the fellow again.

I'd tell them I'd pro-rate the dues, I'm sorry, we have no record of what you did in the other unit, (and don't want one.) so sorry, We can't eat your dues, very sorry. Contacting thier Charter Organisatin Representative is probably the only resort.

Anybody can come to me and say "the other unit blah balh balh," but "Sorry, sorry, that isn't my problem." (You are!)

"Our collective fates are tied together..." Precisely. And the one party to all this which OUGHT to be most concerned with the collective image of Scouting is the council. The DE is in the best position to mediate this but has apparently washed his/her hands of it. At minimum, the DE should be the one calling the families and explaining to them that Sasha has nothing to do with the other pack.

I simply don't think it Sasha's responsibility or place to intervene between the families and the other pack.

Sasha - Good luck. These situations are never fun.

Side discussion...

twocubdad wrote: "When I was pack CC we had a Webelos II den of about four boys which refuesd to pay pack dues. The DL felt since they had already paid the BSA dues they didn't need to pay for the six or seven months until crossover (she was a bit wacko, never really understood what her issue was.) "

We've had those too. We usually resolved it by discussing pack expenses. The Webelos years are very expensive to the pack.

My 1st pack only charged 50% for the 2nd Webelos year because it was half a year and they were not rechartered to the pack. BUT, then I started seeing the expense reports. The Webelos years are expensive. Our pack has very few expenses for advancements for Tiger, Wolf and Bear ranks ... except belt loops. Webelos is expensive with $1.69 per pin. Plus special shoulder colors. Rank badge. Arrow of Light badge. Scout book. Graduation arrows (if pack purchases them). And belt loops too.

I get a kick out of your solution. If a whole den refuses to pay dues, then let them purchase and coordinate their own advancements. I'd work like heck to avoid that situation, but I do like it.

So explain to me how you made a good faith effort when you did not contact the other Pack directly????

We had a influx of 18 transfer scouts about 2 months ago....3 different Packs involved.

I emailed each cubmaster individually, CC'd the DE and DC. The email went something like this

BOB

Mr, B with Pack 123. Jim, johnny and billy scout have filled out transfer applications to join our Pack. There parents mentioned that they had paid a program fee to your Pack as part of their membership. I was hoping to have any remaining balance transferred with their membership. If you have any questions please call me to discuss this at 123-4567

YIS

Mr. B

If after a week no response my plan was to call, then a visit.

fred you are correct at the expenses at the various levels of cub scouting.

2012-13 we are doing exactly that. the tigers will be the least expensive, wolves and bears the same cost and the Webelos will be the most expensive with a $50 per scout advancement fee......$20 career arrow, $15 worth of pins, $5 for colors.......well you get my point.

Basementdweller - We just charge everyone the same and believe it all washes out to be fair in the end. For us, we decided that keeping it simple was more fair. But that's our pack and not a general rule.

The trouble with dues is that there's never really a balance. It's not a scout account. It goes into a general fund to be used to cover pack expenses. If other packs share the dues of people who transfer out of their pack, it's only through their good graces. There is no obligation.

Interesting thread.

>

They have been offered a reasonable deal, but they want more than that. They are being unreasonable.

I would suppose that they will NEVER be happy unless they get what they want. Who needs that?

Cut them loose and let them search for yet another pack.