Veterans Day And Pack Meetings

Pack meetings don't usually fall exactly on the day of a pack meeting, but I don't let that stop me from recognizing the day.

I review the history of Armistice Day/Veteran's Day, emphasizing it as a means of recognizing and remembering the service, hardships and deaths suffered by veterans and as a day set aside for the hop for peace.

I ask all veterans at a pack meeting to step forward and have their service recognized. Each is invited to recount the period of their service, branch of the military and add any additional remarks they may wish to make.

Monday we had one veteran from the Korean War and one from the Iraq/Afghanistan War. The second veteran of the Iraq/Afghanistan War was serving in Afghanistan a year ago in the Seabees. He wasn't present last night, but I invited his wife and three children to step forward and be recognized for the hardships they endured as a family missing their father/husband.

In addition to caring for those three children alone, the mom also chaired our popcorn sale last year and this year.

In earlier years our former Cubmaster stepped forward --- he had been a dentist assigned to the 82nd Airborne. And a Tiger Cub Den Leader was a Marine floating offshore in a Marine Amphibiou unit off the coast on Iraq during the Iraq/Kuwait war.

Pack meetings don't usually fall exactly on the day of a pack meeting, but I don't let that stop me from recognizing the day.

... do you mean "Holidays don't usually fall"?

Don't forget other holidays. I remember as a Cub being torqued that my pack ignored MLK Day. Presidents' Day can also be a good opportunity to discuss citizenship.