Same-aged den chief?

yet more incorrect rank advancement information.......

Unless your scout skipped grades it is not possible for him to get the Arrow of light before 10 1/2

the requirement reads.

1. Be active in your Webelos den for six months since completing the fourth grade (or for at least six moths since becoming 10 years old) and earn the Webelos badge.

This year my Web I boys are very young with birthdays in the spring of their fourth grade year so most of them are currently 9..........the earliest the could cross over into the troop is December of next year. Last year the majority of the boys had summer and fall birthdays, they all crossed over in March.

The boys scout book list 10 having earned the arrow of light, but the cub requirement to earn it is 10 1/2. More conflicting info.

The Arrow of Light requirement is 6 months after turning ten OR 6 months after completing fourth grade. My oldest did not skip any grades, entered school when he should have, and was eligible for Arrow of Light at 10 years and 2 months. A boy does NOT have to be 10 1/2 for Arrow of Light if he meets the 6 months after completing fourth grade criteria. The Boy Scout joining requirement is 11 years old or 10 years old with Arrow of Light.

I like the idea of letting him join the troop but informally drop in on den meetings to keep up with his friends. (Heck, if he likes Pack meetings he can come to those too -- red epaulets included!) No need to fabricate a position to let the little gomper know he's welcome.

Plus, he'll be the best advertisement a troop could have.

The good news is you've got time to think about it. Even in the spring he might just spend a couple of weeks trying out the troop before committing.

Well ana.

Just trying to get my head around the math here.

so if your son completed fourth grade plus six months and was 10 + 2 months for the aol.

May is typically when our school lets out making december the earliest crossover date. counting back 14 month means he was 8 years old in fourth grade with an October birthday????

My son also has an October birthday, He was 9 entering the fourth grade, having been enrolled as permitted by our schools. their cut off day is September 1 for birthdays. He turned 10 while in the fourth grade and crossed into the troop in april.

Your situation is not typical.

My oldest was still 8 at the beginning of 4th grade. I believe the cut off is Oct 1 around here. My middle child has a June birthday and qualified for Arrow of Light before 10 1/2 as well (as would boys with summer birthdays who weren't held back from starting school).

Actually, with many states having kindergarten entrance dates September 30 and later, it is quite typical to have a boy turn 10 years old in fifth grade, and cross into Boy Scouts with his AOL before he is 10 1/2.

In most states the rules are 5 before the cutoff date.

So while your son might be one of the oldest in his grade, and be well past 10.5 at crossover, someone born in September, or October (or later for states with Nov/Dec dates) would be some of the youngest, and might be just over 10.

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually done this, and it worked great. The boy saw that he could become Arrow-of-Light, cross over, and come to summer camp with us. After camp, he went back to the Den as Den chief. It brought the den into our Troop, they were all prepared well, and they all took turns and enjoyed being patrol leader. It made for a seamless transition, they all made Life, and 5 are eagles now. I'd do it again, any time.