Financing Cub Scout Resident Camp

Our district has an excellent day camp, and the council has an excellent resident camp.

Personally, I'm happy to see younger Scouts attend the day camp, but I'd like to see 1st and 2nd year Webelos attend the resident camp.

After attending day camp a couple of times, boys have done that and are ready for new challenges, and resident camp would allow them to earn significant parts of the Webelos badge requirements and make things easier for Webelos Den leaders, is my theory.

But financing the $170/Scout $100/adult cost is an issue. How do Cub Packs do that?

Camp card sales. Sell for $5 each; the troop gets back 2.50. We took the 2.50 and split it, so the boy got 1.25 and the troop 1.25. Each show n sell that the boy worked netted a percentage of the profits.

Also, there were prizes for selling a certain number of cards; 60 got you a cub day camp, for example. There were free trips to Webelos resident camp, etc.

My son earned enough to go to cub day camp for free (the prize) and paid for all but $24 of aquatics camp.

The ones we had this year had 4 tear off tabs: $5 off $50 purchase @ Publix; $5 off $20 purchase Tropical Smoothie; $10 off $30 purchase @ army/navy store; and buy 1 get 1 dinner 1/2 off at the local Brazilian steak house. Plus, 8 repeatable offers on the back: Chilis--free chips & salsa w/entree purchase; Adventure Landing bogo mini-golf; Larry's subs-free drink w/purchase; Cici's 2 meals for10.99; Lee's chicken--bogo bbq sandwich; Skate Station, free game tokens; Goodyear discounted lube/oil/filter; Pump it up, bogo.

Find out when payments are due for next year's camp. Let's say April. That gives prospective campers eight months to start fundraising. If a parent and son put aside $34 a month - $8.50 a week - they'll have the full $270 saved. And if it's just a boy going, it's $22 a month.

Split savings with popcorn sales, cards, pack fundraisers, and it becomes even more reasonable.

To provide an answer to my own question---

One pack in our district erects flags at people's homes for a fee ---- $20 to erect flags four times/year. I understand they pound a piece of rebar into the lawn and then use a piece of PVC as a pole to which the flag is attached.

I thought that was an interesting fund raiser.