Mini-First Aid Kits?

I grew up with my mom hoarding MOUNTAINS of those little 35mm film canisters. They held quarters for the arcade (remember the arcade? *sigh*), or for the ice cream man, or what have you, PERFECTLY!

They also were the base for the mini-first aid kits we made when I went to BALOO training. Very cool...and I'd like to do this with my Cubs at our kick-off and school nights.

BUT WHO HAS FILM CANISTERS, ANYMORE??? What can I use, instead???

Ask around if anybody is a Diabetic and has test strip containers. They are similar in size to film canisters but with a hinged top and are a heavier plastic. I keep mine and they accumulate fast.

Also ask your local pharmacy if they have any extra small pill bottles, I have gotten some stuff there as well.

Mini-MM tubes are slightly larger than a diameter of a nickel, I think. I agree the eating will be popular (step 1: eat MM's) and since they are a little longer they may store some other things better.

May not work as a necker thingie (to get technical).

When I did the mini-first aid kits in the dying days of the easy of find film canisters it was VERY popular. A couple boys made sure to bring it to the first camp-out. Make sure you get some red tape (I used electrical) so they could make the cross--that was a big hit.

I recall this was the same meeting (Tigers) we introduced the compass (amazing! One boy yelled "Is north always that way!") and the great round the block night hike.

(*clapping hands*) Ooooh! LOVE the Red Cross idea! Will do!!

And the night hike sounds really fun! You can't go wrong when they get to use flashlights. :0)

Edit: The ones we did at BALOO were on a string, so I'd probably try that instead of the necker-thing. The M&M containers would be really long for that, yes.(This message has been edited by annlaurelb)

Sounds like your sold on the m&m's.

But, as a practical matter, I've found that a snack-size ziplock in my pack has the added advantage that I can see when I need to restock without opening the container.

These kids aren't backpackers (yet), so it's a moot point. But, once they've made theirs, you may ask them to think about other containers that might work just as well.

Well, yeah. In my MOM BAG I carry Neosporin, band-aids, etc...in a ziploc. It's very...practical, I agree.

But my kid is 7 (8 tomorrow. *sniffle*). I'm aiming for the "Cool!" and "Fun!" and "CANDY!" aspect as an activity during our kick-off Pack/joint Den meeting.

I think the M&M's thing will work nicely, and I think the stuff WILL fit better. I know it was a slight challenge for us adults to get the wad rolled small enough to fit in the film canister.

The assembly-line of First Aid doo-dads will be easier for small (dirty, sticky, always) hands to manipulate into the longer containers. :0)

Ann

You can also use the smaller prescription plastic containers, they are the right size have a snap top, and with some fancy decoration, leather/plastic lace, and a good craft glue will make a great necker slide.

That's a neat idea; and I JUST handed back a GRIP of Rx containers. Although none of them were pop-tops.

I bet I could email the church list and ask the older folks to save 'em for us, if they use the non-childproof kind.

Thanks!

We used old spice jars. Those kind that come on the wooden racks? Perfect size for a couple of bandaids, gauze, alcohol and iodine pads and a safety pin. Took some leather cording and tied around the lip, then a loop on the other end, so they could thread them on their carbiners.

(I had the spice jars left from a housewarming gift from many years ago.)