Camping with cub scouts

Going on my first camping trip with my son and his pack. they are going to a council camp. How is cub camping different than Boy Scout? Boy scouts I remember hiking in for summer camps. Monthly camping trips we had the ten ton chuck boxes to take to each patrol campsite. When we family camp we stay at State parks with water/electricity. So what am I in for?

Thanks

Sean

Most likely closer to a car camping experience. Cub Camping (differentiated from Webelos den camping) is strictly family camping. There are guidelines (from BALOO training) which dictate the type of amenities that must be present, like toilets, showers, water, etc. As for your specific questions, many of those can only be answered by your pack leadership. Will they be using tents provided by the camp, the pack, or does each family need their own? Is each family responsible for providing its own food, or will there be cooking for the group?

Your pack should provide this sort of information, including a suggesting packing and equipment list, prior to the trip.

Have fun!

Cub Scouts are not independent like Boy Scouts are. There are no patrols in Cub Scouts. Cub Scouts is family oriented, and camping is family camping.

If this is a campout for just your Pack, then I recommend that you talk to the Pack person in charge of the campout for specifics.

Prior to the actual campout they should provide the families with a list of equipment/supplies they need to bring. There should be some kind of information on what to expect during the campout in the way of activities/program.

If this is a campout put on by your council/district for all area Packs, then your council office should have information, including contact information for the Camp Director.

On average, Cub Scouting camping typically is associated with

better restrooms

bigger tents

more group activities

more Scouts tenting with parents

less ruggedness

no snow

no backpacking

more focus on fun

better organized campfire programs

more family members

more large group meals

fewer instances of one "great big activity" and more variety in activities

fewer miles to travel to get to the campground

people arriving separately

more leader-planned activities

WEll, one difference with most council camps is that..as a parent, you are only there as a parent. Pretty much the staff handles all the details of meals, activities and functions. They were most likely planned out 6 months to a year ahead of time.

As a parent, you do about the sae as you would if you take your kid to a fair or carnival sans the wallet opening at each event.

This is alot different than most pack campouts where the leadership as well as many parents are the staff while camping.

THis is the kind of thing that makes you apreciate teh staff too- they have it all planed and worked out so you do not have to.

Well scout your making some assumptions. Your assuming that there is a council or district event scheduled......Did it ever occur to you that the Pack could just be renting a campsite.

The OP did not give us enough details to draw any conclusions or offer recommendations.

You are correct that it could be anything from cafeteria style dining to what I said which is cook for your family.

Big difference: Mom's!

Boys act differently with their mom'd around. In our Pack restroom quality issues dictated where we would have our cubscout campouts. We did food as dens--usually some dad likes to grill. We had a very big pack so when the boys and siblings came it was 150+ kids.

Have to be very careful with the cubs with things like fire, knives, and running between tents. Lots and lots of fun activities needed. Need to tire them out.

Another issue is that the proportion of parents with little camping experience is higher than in Boy Scouts so they will look to you as leader to be knowledgeable. I got good at setting up lots of different kinds of tents!

Sablank

Yea it is much more low key family oriented camping. In the past we showed Webelos and Bears how to make a dutch oven cobbler and they got to make one, and with adult supervision cooked it. One time we even did a snipe hunt with them, they had a blast.