We are in the process of planning a camp in for next month at our CO. We are doing this to introduce our families to camping, since many of them have never used a tent. Some parents are asking to drop their wolves and bears off and I do not think that is OK..since only Webelos can camp as dens. Even if it is a camp in, do we still have to adhere to the family camping policy and do I need to do a permit with council?

From the G2SS found here

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss03.aspx

Pack Overnighters

These are pack-organized overnight events involving more than one family from a single pack, focused on age-appropriate Cub Scout activities and conducted at council-approved locations (councils use Pack Overnighter Site Approval Form, No. 13-508). If nonmembers (siblings) participate, the event must be structured accordingly to accommodate them. BSA health and safety and Youth Protection guidelines apply. In most cases, each youth member will be under the supervision of a parent or guardian. In all cases, each youth participant is responsible to a specific adult.

At least one adult on a pack overnighter must have completed Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO, No. 34162) to properly understand the importance of program intent, Youth Protection guidelines, health and safety, site selection, age-appropriate activities, and sufficient adult participation. Permits for campouts shall be issued locally. Packs use Tour Plan, No. 680-014. Reference: Cub Scout Outdoor Program Guidelines, No. 510-631

So since Pack camping IS family camping, dropping off is not allowed.

in reference to Webelos again the G2SS states

■A Webelos Scout may participate in overnight den camping when supervised by an adult. In most cases, the Webelos Scout will be under the supervision of his parent or guardian. It is essential that each Webelos Scout be under the supervision of a parent-approved adult. (emphasis mine) Joint Webelos den/troop campouts including the parents of the Webelos Scouts are encouraged to strengthen ties between the pack and troop. Den leaders, pack leaders, and parents are expected to accompany the boys on approved trips.

Hi. We are NOT Baby Sitters of America. It is a FAMILY campout to ease parents and young Cubs into camping.

Hopefully, as stated by Eagle92, you are using your BALOO trained person to assist with the planning. They should have told you it is a No-No.

That being said, there are certain cercumstances that only you (or your Pack/Den) know of. Single family parents where the supporting parent must work... These can be handled on a case by case basis but each will have a responsible adult asssigned to them by the parents.

As to the "Tour Permit" Ask your Council. The hard and fast rule is there is no hard and fast rule (mine is submit it regardless to cover my behind but that is mine not BSA).

Plan for LOTS of events. Cubs will plan events that you do not want for any time not planned for them :-)

BTW, one month out is a rather short time for planning a PACK family overnight. Try to schedule next years soon after this one using the lessons learned.

Enjoy.

My $0.02

Rick(This message has been edited by ghermanno)

Scoutmom1068: Welcome back....

No, the charging of a fee to recoup your expenses does not make it a fundRAISER. You are, afterall, LOWERING your funds, yes?

I am interested in your arrangements for your "camp in". Are you "in" somewhere, or in your CO's back yard, or actually out in the woods? I have heard of a Cub Pack that had a "Camp In" where they set up their tents and everything in the church social hall and arranged all the halls and other rooms as places to go /see and do. They were building up to their first time "out in the woods" in the state park later that year. It was done very creatively and everyone had a great time and they learned how to do things. All the Cubs had appropriate camp chores (allbeit indoors!) and the inexperienced adults had their angst assuaged.

Remember, KiS MiF !!

Usually once a year I plan the set up of tents as a den competition at a pack meeting.

Each den gets a self supporting tent in a bag. At the signal, all the dens compete to set up the tent, get inside and give their den cheer the first.

Tiger Cub and Tiger Cub parents get to work together. Other dens can be helped by the den leader as needed.

It's always a fun activity.

I just need to clear this one thing up. What you describe is not in any way considered "Den Camping".

Den camping is den camping because only the den goes...without the rest of the pack. Not because parents want to drop off the scouts.

You are correct tha6t only Webelos can go den camping, but this

only means the Webelos den can go on an organized and BSA sanctioned camping trip without it being a pack event. No other dens or ranks are necessary for the Webelos to go camping.

The rest of the dens do not have this ability. If the rest of the dens want to go camping as a den, they cannot. THis is in the pack though, if only one den opts to go to a council camp or district camp, that is another matter alltogether.

But at that point, it is still not a den campout, but a district/council campout.

Now back to parenst dropping them off:

NO! But as mentioned above, if a parent cannot attend, they can make arrangements and see that the scout has a guardian for the trip who is responcible for that scout.

Personally, I'd get the parent to sign something to that extent just to CYA.

Pack Family Camp is the highlight of the year for my pack, or at least it is for me. :-) I'm not sure why planning needs to start a year or so in advance. We pick out a tentative date and location at our annual planning meeting, but it often isn't secured and confirmed until a couple of months before camping. Our activities vary, but always include lots of down time for the scouts to explore, work on different scout skills, and most importantly it seems, EAT!

Different packs, different leadership styles, different ways of doing the same event. :-)

I agree that a one month planning lead time is rather short notice, even for a camp-in. You still need to advertise the date, and get sign-ups from families so you know how many to plan for.

We do a roses/thorns at the Pack Leaders Meeting following our Pack campout, but do not set the date, or place, then for the next year. However, we do try to nail down dates as soon as we can, to get as much lead time as possible. We use County, and State Park, Youth Group Camp sites, and they fill up fast. We learned early on if we left it to only a month or two in advance we would not get the place, and/or date, we wanted.

Scoutmom, use your BALOO trained person to help you with the planning of your camp-in. Even though it is inside, they will know what is needed, and have plenty of program ideas as well.

Thanks All! This is something that I was sort of thrown into, not something I planned but something that I could not change and have to make work:) You might remember my situation from my previous posts.. It is actually inside, for whatever purpose that serves...lol Oh well, I think it will be fun, we have lots of activities planned but I want to cover all of my bases. It is proving to be a very interesting period!