Using Two Assistant Cub Masters ?

Okay, real short background here:

Our pack used to consist of basically the parents who steopped up to be leaders.

Most of them wore at least two hats, sometimes 3 or 4.

Our Cub Master was actually acting like a CC, Treasurer, secratary, Publicist, UC, and general Committee member.

Our ACM was pretty much acting as CM and ACM as well as a den leader.

Our DL's were doing great jobs as DL's but also pretty much handles the various committe sub-chair positions such as advancement, B&G, PWD, Camping, etc...

So, towards the end of last year, a dad who was on a committee in CA, decided to step up and be our CC.

WOW! He is doing a great job. We actually have a full committee made up of just committee members and not people wearing 3 hats.

I became CM in June this year, but have had a pretty easy job of stepping into the CM shoes compared to our last CM who did it for 6 1/2 - 7 years.

But as is normal, our ACM, CC and Pack Advancememnt chair will cross out this year.

What I am thinking of doing, while we have the willing parents, is ask 2 people to become ACM's.

One is awesome with creativity, activities and planning...but gets the "deer in the headlights" look if you ask him to sing or dance.

The other, well, he'll sign, dance, jumpup and down, etc... but might not be so good at the planning or enacting plans. He can follow a script or go along, but not necessarily create.

Both are great with kids, get along well with kids - but most importantly, they both have the ability to see and understand the kids point of view and mentality.

My thoughts are this: Use what you got before it slips away. These guy will definantly be a great benefit to the pack.

And if I could not attend a pack meeting or other events, I have no doubt that either one could take my place. And speaking of that, one is a Wolf dad and the other is a Bear dad compared to my being a first year Webelos dad.

So, have you had more than 1 Assit Cub Master before?

How did it work out?(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

No.

One ACM is a good idea as it provides an obvious line of succession and pack meetings go much more smoothly if you have a couple people breaking things up instead of the CM doing it all.

It seems to me if you have more than one ACM, the third one is probably filling what is really a committee function.

But it's really just a matter of semantics. It's rational to me to have the outings or camping committee chairman named as an ACM since so much of outings is program anyway, titles don't really matter. Reel 'em in, get 'em trained and on the job. As Grandpa always said, I don't care what you call me, just call me for dinner.

We have more then one ACM in our Pack. I think nothing of it. Some ACM are duel positions but if they can get on stage and help the CM keep the Pack meeting fun and exciting for the boys.. Fine. Troops have multiple ASM's? Why would it be strange for a pack to have multiple ACM's?

Nothing says you can't have more than one -- heck, I had three.

ACM #1 was there to oversee the Tiger program and bring them some cub scout "experience" (of course that was back when the Tiger program was "new" and not really part of the Pack).

ACM #2 has oversight on the Wolf & Bear program -- he was the "heir apparent."

ACM #3 was a former SM and old friend who looked over the two Webelos Dens (no Webelos I & II in those days -- we just had a large pack).

ACM #2 and I handled the Pack meetings ... while one was "on" the other was prepping for their next segment, and we always had a great time!

ACM #1 & 3 at the Pack meeting made sure that the Den's were prepared with their portion of the meeting, and kept them flowing in and out. (ACM #3's huge collection of Boy's Life magazines always helped when a Den was "stuck" for an idea.)

(This message has been edited by UCEagle72)

I have at least two, often three. They handle various projects, assist at pack meetings, lead events if I'm not going to be there, etc. I'm not sure what the purpose of limiting it to just one would be, unless you don't want additional uniformed leaders helping out? Often one will lead a specific campout, another might help with a service project, another might help out with a pack program, etc.

As far as I know, our pack has only ever had 1 ACM at a time.

But i'm thinking along the lines of the program here.

As much as we hate to admit it, over time, we might get stuck in a rut, get stuck along a limited line of thought or just plain rn out of fresh ideas.

I do not think I am there yet , or that I will be there any time soon, but then again...would I know it if I was?

By having two other people who are also very attuned to the kids...well, I'll have two other perspectives or fresh points of view.(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

We are a large Pack, but we also run with several ACMs. Much like Eagle's Pack, we have an ACM for Wolves & Bears who is usually the current CM's successor (We try to get a new CM every 2-3 years to prevent burnout). We also have a Tiger ACM to look over the Tiger Dens, this person usually just came out of Tigers and has the experience fresh in their mind. We also have a Webelos ACM who is responsible for coordinating the Webelos Dens and making sure that they are on track for a smooth transition to Boy Scouts, this is usually someone who has already has a Scout go through Webelos into Boy Scouts.

Hey Fish,

In general, I feel that it's great to get more folks involved, as long as everyone understands how each role fits into the big picture. There must be clear understanding by all on who is running the show at any individual moment.

In my tenure as ACM and later CM, I had several other leaders who would take the lead and run parts of a pack meeting or even the whole thing. We would usually get together for lunch or something ;-) in the weeks ahead of the activity to get the plan worked out. When it was working well, it helped keep the timing on track and hold back a little of the chaos.

I am one of two ACM's. I am also the one that is not the designated successor. I'm the floater.

I cover when the CM can't make a roundtable and chair a couple of the events we couldn't find chairs for (Space Derby, Raingutter Regatta). The past 2 years I coordinated the Cubs overnight summer camp while the CM and other ACM handled the Webelos camp.

When parents ask I am clear in my support of the CM and the other ACM when that change happens. I like to think two of us as ACM's are better able to help the CM from burning out and give the CM permission to take time off to love on his new baby without feeling he's letting down the pack.

I concur with the previous posts. Certainly, one ACM is good to have either for succession purposes and/or have someone to fill in for the CM when absent. Multiple ACM's can be utilized based on the needs of your Pack.

At one time, I had the dual role of serving as ACM and Den Leader. The majority of my time was spent in the DL role, but was ready to step in and lead Pack Meetings when the CM was absent. I also would make sure that I attended the monthly rountables if the CM was not going to be there.

We have a large(ish) pack. We have two ACMs. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and do a wonderful job at their respective areas.

I think too many volunteers should NEVER be a problem! A good scouting program needs all the "readymen" it can get!

• 4 weeks later...