BSA Swimmer Teat

Some background: I help keep track of our Webelos den achievements (busy DL, no ADL). And a lot of requirements are done independently.

So, I have been asked how a boy can pass the BSA Swimmer test. In G2SS, it just refers to a test administrator, but some things I've found on the web are stricter, like

"A BSA Lifeguard or Red Cross Lifeguard MUST administer this test."

Can a conscientious parent with the full guidelines administer this test? Does the rule vary by council? As an aside, when my son went to camp, he said a lot of kids who couldn't swim very well (in his opinion) still passed the test. But if a boy who doesn't go to camp and get a test is a competitive swimmer, shouldn't that count for something?

I don't want to call Council and make this more complicated than it should be, so I am really asking -- What would you do?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am unsure of testing outside of the summer camp test, as our troop was pretty much needed for camp, then for other troop water activity, we had our swimming merit badge counselor test them out.

But I also know that at our troop we usually have 2 to 5 active boy scouts that have the BSA Lifeguard training at camp so that they can act as lifeguard at troop swimming activities. My son was BSA & Red cross trained. Therefore ask around at some neighboring troops if they have BSA Trained Lifeguards, then asked if one of them could do the test for you.

The normal Boy Scout feel it's an honor to help in these type of activities. They take this training and then are unable to use it at summer camp (unless on staff).. Other activities have Lifeguards also. So their skills are used, but rarely.. They love a chance to utilize these skills they have worked hard to get.

It's been a while since I was a BSA Lifeguard, but I want to say that generally someone with Safe Swim Defense can certify the swimmer's test for advancement purposes. But don't quote me on that ;)

Now some council's do have strict requirements on who they will accept a swimmer's test from for council functions, i.e. summer camp, council camping activity with boating, etc.

For summer camp and activities like camporees and council cub camps, my council not only wants a certified lifeguard to conduct the test, but wants a copy of their certification to accompany the swim test list.

Oops, I should have put my question more clearly. I was thinking of boys have not passed the BSA Swimmer test at camp or other Scout venue, but still want to use it for one of the Webelos Aquanaut pin requirements. Can a parent give the BSA test? I know that if boys go to camp, they will be tested/retested, so my question is not a safety question, but an advancement/achievement question.

I don't have the G2SS in front of me, but I seem to recall that the first requirement on the test for both levels is to "jump into water over your head".

Presumably, if a Scout signs up to take the test, then he can probably at least dog paddle back to the dock, even if it turns out he's not able to pass the test. But as far as I can tell, there's no requirement for any kind of pre-screening.

So it seems to me that there ought to be at least one certified lifeguard present while the test is taking place, to pull out that Scout who doesn't even know how to dog paddle.

I need to think about these things. One of my new Pack's upcoming activities will involve swimming, and as far as I can tell, I'm the only one who's ever heard about buddy checks, ability levels, or the G2SS.

Hi Eliza,

For internal unit use, yeh can have anyone the unit leader feels is competent sign off on da Aquenaut requirements. As someone else pointed out, usually that would be the acting lifeguard for an event. Parents or boy's swim coach would be OK, too, if yeh felt that was appropriate.

Camps and other folks might be stricter in order to ensure the safety side, rather than the advancement side. Though the two should of course really line up! If you're using the swim test / Aquenaut badge for any of your own safety planning for den or pack events, that's particularly important. Will your lifeguards at any point let a boy who says he has the aquenaut badge into the deep end, because he "should" have passed the swim test? In that case, I'd think yeh would want to make sure the test was done well.

B

There are a lot of boys in our den who are decent swimmers -- competitive swimming (at local clubs/leagues, not USA Swimming). Wouldn't it be overly legalistic to say they had to take a BSA test administered by a BSA certified person for the Aquanaut pin? A typical situation would be a parent who says his son can pass the test, or a boy says he could pass it -- he swims regularly in his own pool or competes in a local club. But there is no actual documentation (the way there might be for a boy advancing through a YMCA program, where there is a checklist for each level).

I'd like to know what you all think.

My inclination would be:

BSA test at camp -- obvious YES

Y swimming equivalent or better, with paperwork -- YES

Swimming on a club/league team - probably yes

"My boy is a good swimmer." ""I could pass that test easily." -- ????????????????

Beavah -- thanks!

I was writing while you were posting. You answered my question -- and gave me the answer that I had hoped for, which is great! Our pack does not have any swim events, so there is no safety issue.

I can copy & paste the G2SS explanations (like "The 75 yards must not be the outer limit of the swimmer's ability....") and send to parents.

We have a parent who emailed me "My son earned the swimming pin." "Which one?" "The one in the book." "Can you tell me which requirements, so I can put it in our records?" "All the ones in the book." Not a great conversation, but it doesn't mean his son can't swim. Ugh! I am not the DL or gatekeeper, but I do have to do a little due diligence. And, yes, I always remind everybody to get their books signed (just in case anybody was wondering).

A few comments.

Clem,

Make sure a few folks take Safe Swim Defense (SSD) Online and follow. For whatever reason, I've found that a lot of packs don't think SSD applies to them, including my own. One thing I was able to rectify this past year.

Eliza,

If memory serves, at the Webelos level, parent's should not be signing off on stuff, unless designated byt eh WDL to do so. I though WDL training stated this as the purpose of ABs is to get them use to working with adults in Boy Scouts. So parents shouldn't sign off.

Clem -- I meant to quote your response in my last post, but it got left off.

Eagle92 -- The parents cannot sign off, absolutely not. But for some activities that are done outside of scout meetings (some of Aquanaut, some of Scholar, that type of thing), they will let me know because I do the TRAX for DL. Everything is shared with DL and he has final approval, obviously.

I know that, in an ideal world, boys would see DL first and he would give info to me. (I purchase awards as well keep track.) But there is almost never enough time for everything. So, basically, I am filling in when asked to, in a less than ideal world.

Eagle92

That is a great idea. I have talked to our local Y and they are willing to bend over backwards in terms of scheduling and fees in order to get scouts participating. Our pack is planning more off-site activities this year and I should bring swimming up as a possibility.

I could see a great time with swimmer test, beginner test, reach & throw, games, etc.

To reiterate and reinforce what Eagle92 said - make sure you advise your parents that the boys will likely have to do the swim test again the next time they go to camp, even if they have completed Aquanaut.

Working on summer camp staff, I remember a bit of confusion among Webelos parents and DLs about that. Their position was that the Webelos were already Aquanauts and shouldn't have to take the test again; the camp's position was basically "Sorry, tough. Swim by our rules or stay in the nonswimmer's section."