outdoor activity award

I think that when the parents get upset, then that is when you say the CM and his son are just real go getters. That we should be happy for them. And that next year, the boys can earn it. I would explain that the CM just wants the best for everyone and wants the boys to experience all the opportunites of scouting. If someone actually says the word "favoritism" then I would come right out and say it isn't favoritism if the kid earned it by doing all the requirements. The CM was able to be flexible in schedule for camp, while they weren't. I know you can't control how some parents feel, but that is kind of silly for them to be mad over. I wouldn't feed it.

And then maybe someone needs to chat with the CM that people are bristling at the pressure for bling and that while it is great to push the opportunities maybe he needs to phrase things a little differently. Other than that, if a parent comes out and criticizes the way things are run, that is the time to ask them to volunteer to step up and lead. ;)

I really think that the DL should think of something the boys can work on now so that they and their parents can get excited about it and that they will forget this patch. Like Leave No Trace Award or something else. Then they can see their sons earn that and not feel bad compared to the CM's son getting stuff.

Basically, I just think that the parents will have to deal with it. Parents who won't sign books or do their part, but expect to get everything anyway aren't going to be happy regardless. Though, I think it is great you are trying to find ways for the boys to succeed, you can't make everyone happy. Good luck with this! :)

denleader09 said exactly what I was going to say:

"I really think that the DL should think of something the boys can work on now so that they and their parents can get excited about it and that they will forget this patch. Like Leave No Trace Award or something else. Then they can see their sons earn that and not feel bad compared to the CM's son getting stuff."

Or a beltloop, pin, or activity badge. Pick something that requires no home support. It can be hard this time of year as the dens are nowhere near to the tiger, wolf, bear awards. Or even a patch for a small den event -- "bake sale?".

Remember, sons of leaders have more expected of them. They can't cancel at the last minute because their best friend scheduled his birthday party on a weekend scheduled for scouts, or some other reason. They have to share the attention of their parents with all the other boys and their parents. They stay late and arrive early and on and on.

If there is a lot of adult complaining, it may be time for an adult meeting with your den parents. Explain the advancement program philosophy (reuirements as written, standard is "do your best"). Set a goal to earn the outdoor patch next summmer. Ask the big complainers to lead that effort.

Really, folks who complain about this will then complain that they didn't know their son could earn a popcorn patch, or whatever.

Ak hit a very big point in that Leaders' Kids are at almost every activity, usually early and leaving late. They do not miss out on much when it comes to Scouting activities, although they miss out on others, and there are very big expectations on them as they are the "Leader's Kid". That is one of my wife's concerns about me taking on additional responsibilities.

I wouldn't lose to much sleep from those parents.

In our pack, the leaders kids also tend to get more awards..or at least attend more activitied even if there are no awards for it.

Why? Because we are the leaders, We are running the show. We are there even when each parent has a reason ( even legit ones) to miss that activity or event.

Pack camping? I am there even if the jones family isn't.

PWD..I'm there even if the smith family isn't.

Council camp...yep, I'm at that one too.

Matter of fact, with few exceptions, the leadership is there every single week doing what leaders do.

We have this same issue pop up every year, only difference is who the parents are.

One thing I did as the new CM is set up a 3'X4' dry erase board just inside the main entrance .

So every den, pack , or leaders meeting, there is a calendar of dates and events/activities, etc.. beside them. We also make announcements at pack meetings and DL's announce it at den meetings.

If that doesn't get the message across...well, it's not our fault!

If a parent doesn't know after all that..they are sleeping anyways.