Well Sad story about summer camp

Summer camp registration deadline approaching, CC I forgot his check book so jim and john can go to day camp could you pay it Mr. CM and I will pay you next week, well that was May. first meeting last week and I ask Mr. CC for the money. Guess what, he called our COR and just resigned.

So he stuck me for $150. Great, really ticks me off.

I am thinking about small calms court, but there is nothing in writing so I am screwed.

Just venting,

No good deed goes unpunished

BTW both his boys had a blast.

I would have directed them to the council office to pay late instead of paying for them, but that water under the bridge.

Personally, I think you you waited too long.

Follow it up with a letter requesting reimbursement for the camp and hope for the best.

In any state in the US oral contracts are enforceable to some degree. In most states you are also well within the Statute of Limitations also.

You should as soon as possible remind him about the debt. Then if he doesn't pay, you should ask for it in writing. If after a short period you get no response, file a Small Claim. If you have proof you paid for his kids, that would be big help.

Sad. Mad. Chagrin. Sympathy?

So is he an out of work steel worker or a over regulated bank VP?

Were there any witnesses to your act of friendship (it isn't charity because he didn't ask for that, only a "loan").

I would: 1) write a letter, a real paper letter (Make it registered, return reciept requested, keep acopy or two for yourself), and mention your good will (there's a Cub Scout phrase) and desire to keep him as a friend. . Remind him of YOUR poor financial condition, and how you are sure he wants to do the right thing. The mention of small claims court should NOT be mentioned. Say you'd like to talk to him at his convenience, invite to coffee.

2) After a reasonable period, two weeks perhaps, if he does not respond, or if he responds negatively and not to your satisfaction, You can do one of two things: A) Forgive him. Formally send him another letter, (R,RRR) and tell him you are sorry, you understand how hard it must be for him not to be able to fulfill his financial obligations, but times being what they are, etc. And then forgive his debt to you. Perhaps that would shake him up. Mebbe not.

OR...

B) you then go and make arrangements at small claims court. Be prepared to DOCUMENT the way the debt was incurred (witnesses?), where the check went (council receipt for his Cub not yours?), and what attempts you have made to remind him and collect the debt (phone calls, emails, letters, etc. ). He will be supoenaed, and must appear to face you in court. He will prove he has no debt to you or will be required to pay you, to the court's satisfaction and yours.

Good luck.

My dad had a long time business partner on only a handshake. Mr. Awkard did the trucks, my dad did the organizing. Taught me about friendship there.

Lesson learned, and a costly one at that. Always get the money up-front, no exceptions. If the money is not in hand, their son does not go. This leaves full responsibility on the parent. They can then explain to their kid why he isn't in the car on the way to camp.

I learned my lesson a long time ago and it only cost me $100. :) Must be inflation that has that number up to $150! Everyone either gets a heads up on this, or they pay the price, but we've all gone through it.

My former troop had a boy go to Philmont without paying the full amount, only partial. The SM took the mother to Small Claims Court and she didn't show up. The SM had a warrant issued for her arrest for contempt of court. Judge granted it and she was served. He got his money on the spot.

Stosh

Basementdweller: If it makes you feel any better, I (along with most of the folks here) would have done the same thing. Most of us have and many of us will again.

My line for some one like this is "If I knew your pride and honor were only worth $150, I'd have bought you years ago."

Well, seeing as how the dad turned out to be a jerk, at least you can feel good about helping a kid out.

No matter how bad the CC screwd you, the kid probably has no clue at all.

And I guess you could look at it this way: You still did a good thing even though it turned out bad in the end.

• 1 month later...

Let it go. That anger will just eat away at you inside. Sure, $150 is a couple months groceries for some people, but he's gone, he's (presumably) not coming back, it's not going to happen again, you're wiser (sadly) for the experience. Just forgive him and move on (which doesn't mean to do it all over again).

Maybe he's really having trouble making ends meet and doesn't want to admit it. Perhaps you kindly let him know that he can apply to the council for a sponsorship or maybe let him know that the boys have opportunities to fundraise to pay their own way or something.

It hurts, yeah, but is it worth having his two boys miss out on the rest of scouting simply because their parent is acting foolishly?

Pulled both boys and now they are members of another Pack, had a chat with the their new CM at round table and told him to make sure he got his money up front for camp. Left it at that, nothing gained by trashing him.

I ran into the dad at the gas station a couple of weeks ago, he acted like he didn't know me. Ridiculous. He completely ignored me and jumped in his car quick and left, not sure if he even pumped the gas he paid for.

Lesson learned for sure.