Training the Pack Trainer

Greetings Forum,

I did a search on the Pack Trainer position and how to become "Trained" at it (in the BSA sense). The thread I came up with was dated 2006 so I figured I would resurrect it by asking the same question again.

How do I become trained to do the Pack Trainer position?

I have seen a list of things I should do as PT - new parent orientation, new leader orientation, encourage attendance at Council Trainings, etc. - but is that it? I would assume that the method of accomplishing all these is not left up to me but is the topic of a BSA Training Module. I have done some work on the above list in a seat-of-the-pants sort of way, and with some tremendous input from various people on this forum, but I want to move on to the next step. I just don't know what it is.

With thanks for any help offered,

Mike

Mike,

One site states that "Pack trainers should be trained at a district or council trainer development conference."

While it's old here is a link to another job description link to Scouting.org

http://old.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-152.pdf

I'll be honest I have no idea what the position entails, or what resources are available.

Now me, I would have TDC as mentioned above, and EDGE as well. I would work with my District training chair to come up wiht a game plan to get folks trained ASAP, esp. with mandatory training headed our way. YP will be the biggest need as you need it to turn in an application.

Finally any Specific trainign you haven't done, I'd do. That way you can do one on one counseling/training as permitted in the BSA.

Being the pack trainer you don't have to actually train. Your job is to keep track of the records and make sure that the leadership is trained and to present them with opportunities.

Seems like a pretty easy job to me. Remember all you can do is present the dates it is up to the leadership to actually show up.

Thanks all,

I also just stumbled across another forum discussion on the Pack Trainer as well, and this one is more recent. I'll definitely have a chat with District Trainer as my first step. Thanks again.

Mike

I'm a Pack Trainer after having been a Den Leader for 2 years and a Cubmaster for 2 more. Basically, I see a Pack Trainer as the go-to person for any Pack-related training needs. This would include:

- publicizing upcoming district or council training dates, PowWow's, etc.

- update pack leaders on all the on-line training courses, helping with account setup, etc.

- having as a goal 100% trained status for all pack leaders (and publicize this as an expectation as new leaders come on board)

- making sure that leaders understand Youth Protection Guidelines and to a certain extent the Guide to Safe Scouting

- maintaining all the records of all the training for all the leaders in the pack (don't count on Council or District to do it right)

- publicizing supplemental training over and above the requirements (CPR, Phlimont Training Center, Wood Badge, etc...)

To answer your original question, a Pack Trainer is considered "trained" when he/she has completed:

- Fast Start Training (Pack Committee)

- This is Scouting

- Youth Protection

- Pack Trainer Position Specific Training (yes, there is such a class...I've taken it and seen the syllabus). In fact, it's mentioned at http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/Adults/Training/Trained%20Leader.aspx

The Trainer Development Conference (which is still a valid but VERY infrequently offered course) is also a good class and satisfies the requirement for the Pack Trainer knot. Note that the knot requirements says "a trainer development conference" in lower-case...not all caps, so I take it to mean that Trainer's EDGE (which is also a trainer development conference) could also be used for the knot requirements. See knot info at http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/13-083.pdf. I've never seen anything that says a trainer development conference is explicity required to be "trained".

Hope this helps.

Trainer Development Conference - has been changed to a new course titled EDGE. normally it will be offered at least once a year and with us it is at council level not district. This is because woodbadge staff need it.

In my council EDGE has been offered more frequently in the last year because all district course trainers need to have taken this course in order to continue to train, since it is new, the district staff as well as Woodbadge & Pack trainers need it, it is in hot demand right now. That will level out to once a year soon again.

There has not been an official announcement from national that Trainer's EDGE completely replaces the TDC. At this point, EDGE is only required for Wood Badge and NYLT staffs.

I wish they would come right out and say that, though.

Thanks JHankins, I will have to see if this EDGE required for district trainers is a rule of our council, or if my Trainers have it wrong. Most all of them are trained in my district but one, and he is hesitating committing himself to being a trainer in the Fall courses for fear that the EDGE program will not swing around again before that time.

Our EDGE training in the Fall was too big for them to run properly due to how many people tried to take it at once.

We also have a web page at our council about EDGE program, that the list of who should take it is as such..

WHO: Cub Scout Leaders, Pack Trainer (required), Boy Scout leaders, Committee members, Commissioners as well as District and Council Training team and Wood Badge Staff members

Hmm. They didn't even put NYLT staff, and I don't know why (required) is next to Pack trainer, and they didn't even do that for Wood Badge staff.

I think at least at my council confusion runs amuck!

YPT, This Is Scouting, Pack Committee specific and TDC are the required trainings for Pack Trainer to be considered TRAINED. EDGE is encouraged but not required.

Among my many hats, I'm also a Pack Trainer and just had to get my records cleared up with council regarding this issue.

rkfrance - if you took TDC "Trainer Development Conference" Before it moved to trainers EDGE, you are fine because you are "grandfathered" under the old course. New Pack trainers no longer have TDC as an option to take, so they can't be required to take it.

But regardless it sounds like it EDGE isn't required, even though it is the replacement course for TDC.

moosetracker-

TDC may not be an option in your council/district, but it certainly is in ours. It's still a valid course and either it (or Trainer's EDGE) can be used for training the Pack Trainer.

rkfrance-

I been unable to find anything that states that either TDC or Trainer's EDGE is required for a Pack Trainer to be "trained". If anyone has a reference, please post it. Trainer's EDGE is required for NYLT and WoodBadge staff to take, and has replaced TDC for that audience, but I can't find anything one way or the other regarding Pack Trainers.

I don't have a reference other than the council reports I also get being a District Commissioner.

My name came up on the Training Not Completed report in the Pack Trainer position. I had to cross reference the training codes to find out why. The requirement missing was D69 - Trainer Development Conference. I took TDC several years ago but was never credited for it in my training file. I happen to be one that keeps my training cards and sent the council registrar a copy, along with my commissioner basic training and a couple of others that hadn't been credited. The next month, we had another trained Pack Trainer on one of the other reports.

You can reference this page which "recommends" TDC but does not say it's required http://old.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-152.pdf

And to say one is "grandfathered" because they had a previous training does not keep you off the Training Not Completed file. Lots of issues with that, but that was already discussed in another thread.

Rob