Need some advice on these topics,

First have a young man who is going to be my a ASST. DL in the den with me (webelos), he has registered and even got a shirt, went pack camping with our pack. I am having a problem getting him to do his training aleast the online things, YP,etc....

I know the importance of this and made it clear if he is wanting to do this he needs to get this done!!With all that said, if he still does not have it done when our den starts meeting, can I or do I have any say that he can not help me since some or all his training not being done, especially YP as he is in direct contact boys?

now the other concern,

same young man involved, a mom has express comments about this young man, about being good looking, nothing has happened to my knowledge about a relationship involvement.

My concern is when we go den camping how to make sure their is no conact between the 2 and make sure this does not become a distraction when we are there for the boys and doing our program?

Don't think I could tell her she is not welcomed at the campouts, but have to put boys interest first. Any thoughts??

Enlist your CM and CC to push the training (at least YPT) issue. Don't get into a sweat about the mom's comment. It would certainly take a lot more than that to ban a parent from anything, in my book. That comment might seem strange to you, but it could easily have been innocent. Don't imagine trouble where there is none.

I would say the shove to get trained leaders is in the committees hands. Hopefully you have one with backbone.

Your nagging him will not help your bonding and being happy teammates. And you really don't have the authority to enforce anything with him.

Luck is on your side. With this years registration comes new rules that Leaders need to be trained to re-register. There is a one-year grace, which doesn't help at the Pack level because you jump in and out of Den positions with new requirements and new 1 year graces before the old grace period ended. Also by next month your specific training will be on-line.

But still your committee could use it to their benefit to enact new requirements for their leaders, and make sure that they are trained in on-line in x amt of mths with a longer deadline for the course programs. Maybe with a rule of not being able to be a leader on an event without Youth protection at the very least. Just in a proactive way of making sure they don't get caught on registration day with untrained leaders..

This would mean enforcing it on all Den leaders and Committee members too.. But, it certainly wouldn't hurt the pack any to get trained leaders. And since all your training will be on-line except for Webloes outdoor leader.. How much easier can it be to do it?

BearDad:

Need some advice on these topics,

First have a young man who is going to be my a ASST. DL in the den with me (webelos), he has registered and even got a shirt, went pack camping with our pack. I am having a problem getting him to do his training aleast the online things, YP,etc....

Response: send him a link to the online training. Tell him he can't work with the boys without it. The YPT is for his own safety in terms of liability.

BearDad:

I know the importance of this and made it clear if he is wanting to do this he needs to get this done!!With all that said, if he still does not have it done when our den starts meeting, can I or do I have any say that he can not help me since some or all his training not being done, especially YP as he is in direct contact boys?

IMHO, if a person isn't related to a kid in the pack, no YPT, no contact. The YPT online takes maybe half an hour. It's not major.

BearDad:

now the other concern,

same young man involved, a mom has express comments about this young man, about being good looking, nothing has happened to my knowledge about a relationship involvement.

Response:

It's none of your business.

BearDad:My concern is when we go den camping how to make sure their is no conact between the 2 and make sure this does not become a distraction when we are there for the boys and doing our program?

Response: Tell him that. Tell him if he has inappropriate behavior, you don't need the aggravation.

BearDad:Don't think I could tell her she is not welcomed at the campouts, but have to put boys interest first. Any thoughts??

Response: It's his responsibility to keep her at bay (or not). Parents are welcome at any Cub scout campout. If your helper can't concentrate, that's his fault, not hers.

Lisa BOB,Moosetracker

Thanks for the advice,Lisa the comment I was refering too was a little different from what was orginally said. There was someone who saw this lady as it was said to me " had her hands all over him" during and outing. I can not comment on that as I did not see it, and from whom witnessed it, not sure what the meant?

Not going to make a deal of it, but will tell you this young man went out and bought a single person tent, before this so HE and ONLY HIM SLEEPS IN IT! maybe he has a concern?

Moosetracker,

Yes I have told him he could do all his training on line, he has said he would but never has. He tells me that he will have it done by xxxx, not me asking but from his time frame, I am okay with that, just as long as he does it.

perdidochas:

What business is it of mine,

None- outside of scouts.

While we have scouts going on, meetings, campouts etc,, believe it is my business if the 2 of THEM, can't focas on what we are there for. No it is not all his fault, it takes 2.

Let me also make note the age I am referring to mom- in mid- to late 20's

boy 20

My comments about "his responsibility" are basically about the campouts. You can't ban a parent from a campout in Cub Scouts. You can ask a unregistered, untrained leader not to come on a campout.

Also, how reliable is your source about the young mom having her hands all over him? Could it be jealousy, or just somebody exaggerating to stir the pot?

Make sure all parents understand the rules for what is (or isn't) acceptable behavior at a camp out. You'd be amazed at what people suppose is just fine. Better to address with everybody before hand, than to have to deal with problems later. But don't single out this mom. You did not see what the previous interactions were, and you aren't sure of your source. So it could have been nothing at all.

About single tents - I really prefer the privacy of tenting by myself. I have a two-man tent, but if 2 adults were to sleep in it, we'd be mighty cozy. So it is effectively MY tent. Maybe this fellow feels the same way. Unless he makes the connection for you, I would not suppose that there's a link between him purchasing his own tent, and him wanting to avoid this mom. Unmarried adults of opposite sexes wouldn't be tenting together anyway.

Lisabob:

Make sure all parents understand the rules for what is (or isn't) acceptable behavior at a camp out. You'd be amazed at what people suppose is just fine. Better to address with everybody before hand, than to have to deal with problems later. But don't single out this mom. You did not see what the previous interactions were, and you aren't sure of your source. So it could have been nothing at all.

Response: Exactly true. When I was a Tiger Cub leader, I had a parent bring a cooler of beer. He had set up his tent away from mine, and in a quiet corner, so I never knew about it. I found out later, after a near disaster (he gave a beer to another parent, who had a reaction between alcohol and his prescription meds). After that, I laid down the law before any campout with parents that I didn't already tell that to.

Lisabob:

About single tents - I really prefer the privacy of tenting by myself. I have a two-man tent, but if 2 adults were to sleep in it, we'd be mighty cozy. So it is effectively MY tent. Maybe this fellow feels the same way. Unless he makes the connection for you, I would not suppose that there's a link between him purchasing his own tent, and him wanting to avoid this mom. Unmarried adults of opposite sexes wouldn't be tenting together anyway.

Response:

If this woman is really after him, as the OP thinks, a single man tent won't be a problem :-) (I agree totally about tents. Personally, I like at least a 3 man tent for myself)

I really don't see how purchasing a one-man tent is confirmation of anything. Why would he NOT sleep in his own tent? Why would you expect him to tent with some one else? Most leaders that I know (myself included) do not share their tent with other adults (unless it is a spouse).

Have you talked to this young man about what you were told? I suggest you do that before jumping to any conclusions about inappropriate relationships. I would also recommend following Lisa's advice, and do a parent/leader meeting, laying down the BSA rules of behavior.

As for training, you have every right to tell him that until he shows you the trained card from the end of his online training, he will not be allowed to attend any outings with the boys. If you want to get real serious, do not allow him to attend any den meetings either.

(This message has been edited by Scoutnut)

Moosetracker stated - "With this years registration comes new rules that Leaders need to be trained to re-register."

While this may be the rule in Moosetracker's council, it is not necessarily the rule in Bear Dad's council. There is currently no national training requirement for all councils.

Per the BSA Training Updates for May - "The plans for a national effort are still undetermined, as the outcome of the 20 pilot councils will greatly affect the direction we take in 2011 and beyond."

our council has informed us that to recharter come jan/feb that all leaders, dl,cm,cc,etc.. will have to be trained for their roles in order for us to recharter.

not sure if this is a national thing or what they are going to require?

Actually, it is not a "National thing" just yet.

There are 20 councils participating in a pilot program for required training. During this year (01/01/10-12/31/10) they are required to get all top unit leaders (CM, SM, etc) trained. Next year (2011) they will be required to have all direct contact leaders trained.

There are also many councils who, INDIVIDUALLY, are starting to require trained leadership.

National had noted that they were going to go nationwide (all councils other than the 20 pilots) with the top leaders in 2011, and then direct contact in 2012. Basically putting the rest of the country 1 year behind the 20 pilots. However, based on the quote I posted from the May BSA Training Updates, it seems that BSA is holding off from committing to nationwide required training until the results come in from the pilot councils. That rather makes sense. That is, after all, what pilots are for. It would be nice for BSA to work out the kinks BEFORE jumping headfirst into the deep end.