Deadline for Cub Scout Rank Advancement

Well, we have the situation in our pack of a kid who is homeschooled with a December birthday being placed a grade ahead by his mom, starting Tigers a year early. No one told her he could not start then. He learned to read when he was 4, thus the logic of jumping him a year. The computer did funny things at re-charter time, but ultimately accepted the fact that he is a Wolf, even though his age would put him to be a Tiger.

It's the Cubmaster's son, so I want to not hack them off. The kid is really not exceptional in anything for his age. I think he's going to run into problems down the road, due to his immaturity.

Yes, a 6-7 year old who is in 4th or 5th grade could be a Webelos.

The only problem he would have is he would not be able to cross to Boy Scouts with his den. He would have to either find something to do in the Pack for the next 3-4 years, or drop out until his 10th birthday.

Of course, I would have a lot of problems with a 1 or 2 year old in first grade. It would not matter if he was the greatest genius who ever lived, he would still be just a toddler in diapers without the physical abilities to complete any part of the BSA Cub Scout program.

Try wondering about something that makes a bit more sense.

Never said a 1 or 2 year old in school. But I work with a guy who's son is actually two grades ahead based on academic acheivement. He's not in scouting, he is active in afterschool science explorers or something like that.

Personally, I figured emotionaly and mentaly he would be held to the age and not grade level.

DYB-MIKE,

Do you have the Webelos Leader Guide by any chance?

Pages 5 and 6 have the Starting plan for 4th Grade Webelos. plan A starts in June. Plan B starts in September.

Now, here is the bigger issue:BSA inability to tie all mentions of a specific thing together instead of scattering them through 6 different books and guidlines. Why aren't the two different starting dates signified or at the very least, mentioned by asterick in the Cub Scout Cycle?

Anyways, if your pack follows September s the new year and the end of school as the end.. you have a (average of) 2 1/2 months to finish up?

Scoutfish, I admit that personally Im not up totally up to speed with the Webelos calendar. Our Webelos den leaders are handling that.

We did have a boy who joined as a Webelos late, but he worked hard and did earn his Webelos badge and now he is working on Arrow of Light. I believe he is on track to earn it before our Cross Over in May.

Ultimately Im inclined to give a boy as much time as I can to earn rank with a clear conscience. I had one den leader approach me about an active boy whom he wanted to award the Summertime Activity Award, but the boy did not honestly earn it and I would not allow it as Cubmaster. Fortunately it did not become an issue.

YIS

Mike

There are 2 different starting dates in the plan for the same reason there is a one year Webelos plan as well - Different CO's do things differently, and new boys can start at different times.

I checked with my District Director tonight. He says ScoutNet autopromotes Cubs T--->W, W--->B, B--->W on June 1 each year.

After that, well, it's how good a friend you are with your Registrar.