• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if there is a right answer to this!

Some thoughts.

1/ Ask yourself "Why are they doing this?"

Is it because they (The parents) are so busy that it is easier for them to do it than spent the time to work with their son?

Is it because they are afraid of failure? That is to say that they don't want to see their son fail? Or maybe look bad.

2/ Maybe at a Pack Meeting have the CM show everyone two "Whatevers??" One done by a Scout and one done by a parent (Maybe you?). Have him or her ask the parents which one was done by the young Lad? It more than lightly will be very clear! Then have him or her ask "Who learned the most from this project? The Scout who did the work? Or the Scout who watched his parent do the work?" What might follow could be an explanation that Cub Scouts don't fail, they do their best. But they need to be given the opportunity to do their best!

3/ When it becomes clear that a parent is doing all the stuff. Maybe it's time to take him or her aside and congratulate him on the wonderful job he is doing! While he is basking in the limelight hit him with the old "Hey your so great at this stuff you really ought to come and work with all the Scouts in the Den".

If he agrees you have some help.

If he backs away. Maybe he will get the message and be so scared that he is going to be the next adult that is selected to be a leader that he will just quit doing the stuff that his son will learn from?

Sad to say there are some parents who are as thick as two short planks and all you can do is your best for their kid and hope that maybe, just maybe? They will give the Lad room to grow.

Ea.

(I have used Webelos Scout 1 and Webelos Scout 2. Kinda like the uniform "Class A" and "Class B" thing.

At the end of the day as far as I'm concerned it something worth taking plenty of no notice of!)

Sure did but in response to your comment prior. That was the comment I was referring to as rude but I am not going to get in a silly who said what argument with you. You obviously feel the need to try to point out the silly things in someones post to try to show how much you *think* you know about Scouting so from this point on I have nothing to "say" to you.

Eamonn thanks for your extremely well thought out post...I really appreciate your advice and input!

Ed, have you not had enough ketchup lately? I hear it has natural mellowing agents. Might want to check that out. http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/2009/11/21/scripts/ketchup.shtml

(Seriously, give it a rest! Your gripe - which doesn't even apply to the original poster in a meaningful sense - is way off the point of the thread anyway. Behavior like this chases off posters with legitimate questions and kills useful discussion.)

Mom2Scouts06, I hope you will hang around the forum. Have a virtual cup of coffee and piece of cobbler with us. We'll slip that extra ketchup into Ed's piece and all will be well.

Ev,

Designating Webelos by I and II designation has been happening since Webelos became a 2 year program back in the day. It's comparable to calling the full Field Uniform "Class A" and variations of it 'Class B." Heck some national publications are getting aboard the "Class A" train.

I've also heard the young protoScouts referred to as "Junior Webelos and Senior Webelos"

Then too, I've often heard the local Webelos DL refer to his charges as "you guys". Very incorrect.

Motto for IOLS Camp Cooking Class: "There is no food so mediocre that it cannot be improved with Catsup/Ketchup."