Best tools for improving den behavior from the beginning?

m going to be DL for wolves next year, and as tigers, they have beem more or less off the wall uncontrollable. (partly due to kid personalities, partly due to unstructured meetings where they got bored, IMO)

I want to start next year right, and Id like any suggestions you have.

My plans are the following:

1) Start off with a code of conduct.

2) use conduct candle or conduct bead jar for violations of the code. (1 warning, 2nd they lose their bead or blow out candle/ 3rd violation they have to leave the meeting.)

3)use den doodle and denner system to recognize reward good behavior.

4) structured meetings

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Code of conduct - make sure the boys help write it, and have input into any consequences.

Conduct candle/bead jar - Go with the bead jar. Most CO's are not to fond of potential sources of fires. Also, do not make it just a negative reward. Positive rewards are more in keeping with the goals and methods of BSA, and simply work better. Mark the jar with tape at various doable intervals. Have the boys put a bead in when they do positive things, and take one out when they violate the code of conduct. When beads reach tape do something extra and fun with the boys. It can be as simple as a meeting in the playground.

Den Doodle - Used mainly to track award progress. Can be used in conjunction with conduct jar if you have enough "doodles" to use for everyone.

Denner - NOT a reward! This is a way for the boys to learn leadership, not a "beauty contest". If you have enough boys use a Denner and Asst Denner. Have boys vote for them. Most votes gets Denner (use Denner shoulder cord). Second most gets Asst Denner. Rotate Denners monthly. Asst Denner moves up to Denner (with Denner cord), boys vote for new Asst Denner (previous denners and asst denners names are not included). This gives every boy a chance to learn, and grow. Not just a select few.

Structured meetings - Good idea, as long as you don't structure all of the fun out. Remember that a meeting can be boring whether it is structured or not. Move things along. Sit down stuff mixed in with up and moving stuff, songs, and games. Don't spend the entire hour having the boys sitting at tables. The boys should not feel like they are attending just another hour of school.

I've never been a big fan of doo-hickies. Set the expectations early and consistently enforce them. I've always said if you want to be a Cub Scout and get to do all the stuff Cub Scouts get to do, then you have to behave like a Cub Scout. The decision is the Scout's -- either behave like a Scout or go home. And don't tell me you're going to behave, show me.

Having the Cubs help write the code of conduct of cool, but -- hopefully obviously -- the trick is that you are guiding the discussion so the code the boys come up with remarkably looks like the one you would have written. The process give the boys a buy in, but also makes reviewing the code an "activity" instead of you just reading it or handing it out.

Have scouts propose "den rules" to make sure they can do all the fun stuff that their DL has planned. My scouts proposed these rules at the start

1. Quiet when the sign goes up

2. Wait your turn

3. Raise your hand to speak.

Print these rules in large letters on a big white poster board "Den 7 Rules". Display rules poster prominently on one side of the American Flag and the den meeting agenda ("structured meeting") on the other side. Read rules aloud at start of meeting like in the "Dirty Dozen" or pick a scout, 'Chris Rule #3'. Break the rule, activity stops, and lawbreaker(s) read rules aloud and they quickly become aware less fun time.

As the year(s) progress, scouts add more rules to make the den meeting go smoother and so they have more fun time.

4. Respect others.

5. Safety first. (we were whittling at this point)

6. Obey your leaders (took them long enough!)

7. No whining.

8. Bring a hankerchief.

This approach has worked for my dens. I never did any lighted candle, beads, stickers, hourglass, talking stick, ..doo-hickies (good name). Also, I prefer the simple term "rules" as in you broke rule #2 over the mouthful "Code of Conduct". Some were more challenged than others in following these rules, but all understood that they were expected to follow their den rules. I never wasted time with snacks either, unless the den was cooking at the meeting.

Thanks for volunteering as a DL. Enjoy. One regret I had was not taking photos as I was so busy with the meeting itself. Maybe assign a parent to take photos.

My $0.02,

I like what Remember Schiff said.

Your leader:led ratio matters. You want an ADL. You WANT a Den Chief. That way, someone is working on the next part of the meeting even as one is executing the current part of the meeting.

Involve the parents. Remember, you're not the only AKELA. Parents are, too. This is not BabySitters of America. This is Cub Scouting.

Above all, manage the sugar level of your Scouts. If they come in, have cookies and Kool-Aid, ZING!!! Sugar High!!! You want any snack toward the end of the meeting.

Remember, Keep It Simple! Make It Fun! KISMIF!!!

All great things said. Here are some things that worked for me.

In my experience, I found that the boys settled through the year, so don't get too concerned if is a process.

Structure your meeting and if the structure is going to change go over the temporary or permanent change with boys (agenda on board good -- have a boy read it aloud.) Once the boys know the structure some of the craziness should calm down.

Get a good relationship with parents so that they understand the rules and consequences also.

Have lots of games in your back pocket that you can do at the end of the meeting, so that you can say "when we complete this I have a new game for you". Cooperative games worked best for my wolves. (Try tug of peace.)

I found the boys behaved best when all of them were in their uniform shirts. So I rewarded "golden meetings" with a small candy on the way out the door. Every boy had to have shirt and book for the group to have a "golden meeting".

Call them "scouts" instead of "boys". Seems to do something for them.

Anticipate problems, plan for them, and tell the boys what you expect beforehand. (We just went to the bowling alley and before we went I said that we were not going into the arcade room there. And no boy did!)

Praise boys often individually and collectively.

I agree that denners won't do much for these issues. (You are asking too much of a 7 yo boy to control another 7 yo boy.) You can use the denner election to have the boys list a boy leader would behave like (follows what the adults say, helps the den go, kind to everyone....). Denner cords are very compelling to the boys.

We did use a poster to show advancement and that helped the boys understand how the activities fit in with the awards they were working for.

Watch a 2nd grade teacher and you will see that they do not introduce a lot at once. Work on code of conduct, next meeting go over it and everyone signs it, then next meeting introduce topic of denners, then next do elections....

Remember to have fun. Good luck.

I think they are all great suggestions...

I have used the Code of Conduct (Have the scouts make the rules... they'll police themselves).

I have used the group reward candle (it stays lit until someone breaks a rule - one warning per meeting - them its blown out)... candle gets to the base - its a pizza party for next Den meeting !!

Those two items and a gentle reminder at the start of each meeting is really all it takes.

Also - I would advise having a game or two dispersed thru the meeting.

My den meetings always go like this:

Flag Salute

structured event / discussion / advancement task

High energy game

craft / build something

sharing / den leader's minute

High energy game

closing

snack / treat (only if all goes well)

The two big things to remember: 1) these kids are asked to sit and listen all day at school, the last thing they want in a den meeting is to sit still and listen, get them up and moving / "do-ing" as often as possible and attention spans increase and need for discipline decreases.

2) Most of the trouble comes with scouts all talking at once, talking over each other, or not taking turns. If this is an issue - make a den "talking stick". Nothing fancy, but try to get lettered beads and leather thongs or each scout to string their name on and tie it to the "talking stick". In doing so, they agree that whoever holds the talking stick has the floor and that it is THEIR turn when the stick is passed to them.

The Lord of the Flies "Conch" shell actually works very well to get them to listen and take turns.

Good luck and remember "Keep it simple, make it fun" KISMIF!