Arrows, BBs, Slingshots....ROCKS.

Okay! Cub Scouts have a new projectile to gain proficiency with... ROCKS!

Just learned that this new "range" sport has been active at several Council camps and will be offered at our CSDC next month!

Cub Scout Rock Throwing (at targets!)! BB Range Officer is appropriate, so I am told.

What say ye all?

Kind of strange. Yes kids throw rocks. Making it into a cub scout "sport" is odd though. Honestly, if my kid came home from cub day camp and I asked "what did you do today?" and his answer was "we learned how to throw rocks!" Then I would have a bunch of questions for the day camp organizers!

Fellas, the trend is there. If we forbid rock throwing as a safety issue, then why not make it a CONTROLED activity?

"A new area introduced in 2007 for Cub Scouts only. Scouts throw rocks in our specified rock throwing range at a variety of targets and are overseen by a trained range official."

((quote from a CSDC brochure))

Just a coupla Councils that list RT as a CSDC activity . NB:: It is always listed as a "CS ONLY" activity!

Great Rivers, Pittsburgh Area, Patriots Path. Blackhawk Area, NCAC....

Love the rock skipping... My record is 11. Too bad you can't go out and get the good skippers back (or can you?)

Maybe they can use the heli-parents as the targets :) (just kidding... well sort of....)

I could see it being a fun activity if there were pop cans to knock off of fence posts, etc. Slingshot, now there's a fun "first weapon" right of passage that I'd LOVE to see offered in a controlled environment.

I think someone in those councils are on to something. Don't ban the activity, instead TEACH the boys how to be safe and still have fun. Same could be said for paintballing, but national, the lawyers, and G2SS have already nailed the coffin shut on that one.

We had slingshots in our tents at scout camp when I was a scout (early 80's). Then again, it was Boy Scouts, not cubbies - and we were even allowed (if not encouraged) to bring sheath knives to camp in addition to pocket knives. Things have changed alot in the past 30 years... I wonder if the incidence of serious injury at BSA camps has actually gone down with the over-regulation / safety nazi mentality, or if the retained lawyers just got rich while the insurance companies charged higher premiuims for "perceived" dangers that are not really supported by sound data?

I say, Let them throw rocks.

"I say, Let them throw rocks. "

Yeah, but as an organized activity to be taught? Sheesh, that seems crazy to me. It is bad enough kids don't play pick up ball games anymore because they've become so accustomed to parents organizing everything. Now they can't even chuck rocks without parental organization and rules to tell them how? As long as they're not chucking them at each other, I just don't see the point here.

Here comes the email from our CSDC PDirector: listing supplies he is ordering... "4 - 40 lb bags landscaping river rocks" and then the yellow paint that will be used to make them highly visable . They have to be collected so they can be used again. Targets, range defined and roped off, proper backstop, it will alternate days with slingshot. Archery all days.

Should be fun...

SSScout-

I get your point, but if its the difference between a "regulated" activity and an outright ban, I'm in favor of having a "rock throwing" range. The idea of painting them yellow and having to pick all of them up is a little outrageous, but to each their own.

Its better than the last council Fun w/ Son I attended w/ my scout where the camp director let everyone know at the 1st nights campfire that, "Sticks are to be left on the ground... any scout swinging a stick like a lightsaber, sword, or baseball bat will be subject to discipline, up to and including being asked ot leave camp."

The smart-*ss in me wanted to ask if the rule applied to live branches ripped from a tree? After all, it wouldn't have been 'picked up' off the ground, therefore the rule should not apply, right? What if they picked up the stick and pretented to conduct an orchastra with it? Is that ok?

I say make it a fun, safe activity and let 'em go at it. I agree there is little need for a class on how to throw rocks, but some safety and oversight is fine. Its far better than showing up at the next campout and having the camp director announce, "Rocks are to be left on the ground... any scout picking up a rock and beginning a 'throwing' motion....."

See the point?

Now - for the 'rock throwing' belt loop and pin requirements.... it can only be earned at a BSA sponsored 'rock throwing' range, etc...(This message has been edited by DeanRx)