Tiger/ Parent Partnership Team

Concerning the Tiger/Parent partnership team. I understand how the ideal is for there to be a parent there to work with their son. I was a Den Leader for my second son. I assisted the Den Leaders for my first son. Now that I am a Scoutmaster, my wife is the partner for my 3rd son. I understand the system.

But...

Here is a situation where the Den Leaders hide behind the rules and the Scout loses. We had a recent Go See It with our Tiger Den to the library. A parent sends an Email to the other parents and Den Leaders informing them that the Husband is out of town on business and she is home sick for the last 3 days. She asks if another parent could take her son to the outing. Another parent responds saying that they would with no problem. Then comes the email from the leader stating the fact that: No, another parent could not bring the boy because then it would be one adult to two scouts and it was not allowed. The scout ended up not getting to get to go on the Go-See-It.

I'm sorry. This is just wrong. This is a case of the "rules" getting in the way of common sense. The parent was not abusing the system and just dropping of the kid. She was just looking for help so that her son could still get to go on a special outing with his Den. No additional burden was even being put upon the Den Leader.

In an instance like that, your Tiger Den Leader was wrong.

There was an emergency, another parent had agreed to accept the position of Tiger Partner for that one outing. Your Tiger Leader should have had the sick parent send along a permission slip, and all would have been fine.

Nowhere in the BSA rules does it say that 1 adult can not be in charge of 2 youth. I had a set of triplets a few years back whose dad was their only partner. He also often had to bring his little daughter with. The 5 of them did very well.

I am obviously new to Cub scouts and have already had many problems. My question on this is that I am the CM and my son is in a the tiger den. Why can't I give a permission slip to the 2 Tiger den leaders for my son to be there with them?

I know the Tiger year is supposed to be about parent/child but I think that if I as the Tiger's parent give my permission, what is the harm? I know the 2 den moms. I was told to go to the roundtable meeting to see how other Tiger dens handle this issue. Other working moms want their son in Tigers and the den moms were going to pick them up from after school care and take them to the Tiger Den meetings. Thoughts?

The BSA Tiger program is very specific, and different from every other Cub Scout program.

The central element of the Tiger program is the Tiger/Adult Partner TEAM. Tiger dens are run using SHARED LEADERSHIP between all of the den's Tiger TEAMS.

From the BSA Adult Application that you signed -

"I agree to comply with the Charter and Bylaws, and the Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America and the local council."

You are taking on a failing Cub Scout Pack as Cubmaster. Don't you think that it would be better for the Pack, and it's Cub Scouts, if you started off on the right foot, and set a good example by FOLLOWING the BSA programs, instead of making things up as you go?

Leaders have too much to do tho have to watch out after those young guys. the purpose of the Tiger adult/tiger team is to build a relationship together and also that at this age a one-on one is best. Sometimes if it's siblings it may be more.

Tigers is not drop and go program. Even if you are cubmaster. Send your spouse or a granparemt. If you are ill then a parent OTHER THAN THE LEADER can be assigned. Don't put one more thing on the leader.

She did not say that it was the leader that would be taking her son. She said that there would be another parent. I will have to find specifically where it is stated, but it said that the adult partner could be a parent, grandparent, other adult relative, or nieghbor (Yes I saw it and as sooon as can find it I will post my reference)

But if we are going to pick apart all of the little things. THen if a family has twins or triplets, do they have to have an adult for EVERY Tiger Cub. They might have to find another adult.

Lets use common sense here. If there is a situation like this, as long as there is an adult (Prefereably other than the Leader) that is willing to take responsibility and has the permission slip then why can the boy not attend. How many times a year do you repeat the same Go-See-Its.

First, thank you ALL for your sound advice. You are correct in saying that I am attempting to do things the RIGHT way and according to BSA rules. PERIOD.

Something doesn't make sense to me in this situation. If Tigers are about Tiger/Parent shared leadership, why do they say adults other than the parent can attend? If these adults other than the parent can attend then that defeats the purpose.

I was advised by the District Executive to look into how others are handling these things. The real issue is that the den moms are stay at home moms and want to have the meetings after school. They won't be the DL otherwise.

I guess that will just leave out alot of boys who want to join the program. I have about 5 boys who will not be able to join becuase of the meeting time.

Again, THANKS for this advice. It REALLY helps!

Newbie- the correct wording would be Tiger/Partner, since there is no requirement that the Adult Partner be the boy's parent. Nor does it say that it has to be the same person all the time, although that would be preferable. My son is a Tiger, and his mother and I are divorced. I have been at every meeting and event except 1, when I was in bed with a 101 degree fever, but other Tigers in his den are with whichever adult is able to attend. The OP is correct in that there is no stipulation that there has to be a 1 to 1 Scout/Adult ratio, and that in this case, the boy should have been allowed to participate in the Go-See-It. As for the DLs preferred schedules, if there is no one to lead, they are redundant. There needs to be a compromise somewhere. Around here, a stay at home Mom is the exception, so evening meetings are the norm. In your case however, there would be no Tiger/Adult Partner team on a regular basis. To me, that seems counter to the entire structure of the Tiger program.(This message has been edited by ned_rothstein)

Thank you ScoutNut. I could not remember where I saw the reference to the neighbor.

I think that if you are in the type of area/neighborhood where your know your neighbor and trust yoru neighbor, and that person is able to bring the Tiger in your absense, then why not. I would not say this is recommended for everytime, but there are certain circumstances.

Yes 5 boys is enough to start their own den. Maybe talk with the current leader and discuss splitting the den. These things can make for a better program if the schedule fits the leaders and parents time. I know of one pack in my area that meets on Sunday afternoon at thier chhurch, between worship and Sunday night activities.

I tell you that I would love it if some my Webelos den would meet at a different time. We would have a lot less boys running around the Cub Scout room. But things just work for the better right now. The Tigers that are in our den are meeting in a different location, but still on the same night.

Artirk, Good luck and I hope things work out for the best.