looking for ideas - 6 Cub day camps

I am the new Day Camp Director . We don't have a program director yet but hope to soon . This year our council is trying 6 day camps . 6 different locations over 6 weeks.

I have tons of ideas for all of them . The theme I see taking the most time to develop

is around the world . I am thinking 5 countries in 5 days , covering what scouting is like in those countries ,games , activities, etc . Thank you !

And you are in charge of all six of these week-long programs, at six different sites, with six different volunteer staffs? Wow. Uhm, good luck with that!

There was a thread on here about a year ago with ideas for knights/King Arthur-style programs.

For Mad Scientists, talk to your local university and see if you can get some science/education majors involved interested in trying some new things out. That one could be the most cost-intensive with the materials and supplies. The challenge will be not duplicating activities the boys have already done in school.

Without any more information, "Cubs & Bugs" seems like a very, very narrow theme. Kind of difficult to fit archery and BB guns into that category.

For the circus theme, that's perfect for skits and stunts. Clowning of course comes to mind (many areas have kids' "clown classes"), as does a bicycle rodeo.

>> "Cubs & Bugs" seems like a very, very narrow theme. Kind of difficult to fit archery and BB guns into that category.>>

Not really, they are Mosquitoes & Bees!

Some of your themes have been National Themes at one time or another. Check out past Program Helps, Roundtable resources, and Pow Wow books. Look at BALOO's Bugle on USSSP for ideas.

nwscouterlee: Welcome to the forummmmmms. Here, you will find ideas, encouragement and, perhaps most importantly, SYMPATHY!

Six Cub Scout Day Camps? Must be a large-economy- sized District ? Or perhaps a Council with several smaller Districts? I have to ask, why are you considering several seperate themes? Why not one theme thruout all the camps? I always favor the economy of size in such things.

Our Council coordinates CSDCs for several Districts. The Powers That Be use PODS, a private company that shuttles a portable storage unit between the sequentially scheduled camps. The POD carries the archery gear, craft tools, sports material, water jugs, etc. The "consumables" (tape, arrows, beads, craft stuff) are replenished between camps. Since the themes are the same, we can get the same type of hats, and Tshirts and such.

A few years ago, the theme was Wild, wild West. Each District interprets the theme as they will, we did the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Nature Pavilion did Flora and Fauna, discovery notebook keeping. As the week went by, we recounted the expedition in staff skits, monday was the outfitting, til friday was reaching the Pacific (water carnival). Don't tell the Cubs, but they might have learned some history along the way. We found a trick roper who did a lunch "special" , a riding club came by to show the horses, Crafts paviion made "salboat barges".

Shortridge has some good ideas for you. Get your core group together and sit down over some pizza and brainstorm. Lots of neat possibilities out there.

But seriously consider ONE theme for ALL camps over each week. Talk it up every chance you

can, at the Roundtables, at Unit meetings, over the web pages...Collect your staff as early as possible. Search these forums and other Scout pages for lots of good ideas.

Good Luck! Kis MiF YiS

My council has 6 day camps in 5 districs. One is a Webelos camp. EAch camp is in a different location in that district. Theme for all is the saem as well as patch. Each camp though is different as they each have a director that works it differently and chooses the activities. Last year was Cubs of the round Table, this year is World of Science.

My son did two camps one year but most just do one week and a few go to resident camp as well.Resident camp is a differnet theme- they do same prgram each session as pacsk onkly book one.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum I was the new day camp cord for our council. We had a blast as will you. We did 4 weeks each at diffrent locations. When you go to camp school ask for program helps. I did and I asked for all types of contacts we all still talk to one another and brain storm off each other. I did the Knights of the roundtable theme last year I think the discussions are still on this site there was a ton of great ideas.I also seached the web. Internet was a Godsend. We are doing Cubs in Space this year and things seem to be going well with planning. I also recived tons of help from the round table meetings and Ideas other cm's had I asked everyone if they had any suggestions and ideas to email them to me and everyone was so helpful.

Good Luck and Have Fun

Thanks for the great tips . Yes , the internet has been great . How did I ever survive with out it ? We went to a Space theme day camp a couple of years ago . I asked my boys what their favorite activity other than BB guns & archery was & they ALL said the the solar space ovens . They got personal pan pizza boxes from Pizza hut , lined the inside with foil , placed some'mores inside & set in the hot sun to cook .They loved it !

Having served on day camp staff for eight years, five as camp director and also teaching at day camp school, I would not try to do six different themes.

Honestly, the theme isn't that important. It really gives you something to build your decorations, t-shirts and patches around and maybe one or two programs. The core program, the stuff the kids really come for, doesn't change much -- aquatics, crafts, shooting sports, sports and games, etc. As far as keeping boys interest over mutiple camps, the differences in location and facilities are going to drive enough changes (and keep you busy enough) to make each camp unique.

One of the joys of working at day camp is having boys meet you at the mall and introduce you as "the man from camp who helped me catch my first fish," or go on and on about the climbing wall or water rockets. I've never had a Scout mention what a cool theme we had. That's just not what they are at camp for. Now the adults will focus on themes, but not the boys.

My personal opinion is that changing themes every week will be a ton of extra work for marginal benefit. I'd have a nice long talk with the folks at council who are pushing the idea.

• 2 months later...