Cub Scout Day Camp 09

As that's a fairly broad topic, I'd begin by looking at the other themes from the past and the future, and create a "No List" of activities or events. You don't want to copycat stuff that's been done in the past or is planned for future years. So adventures in space, or in the Wild West, may be out.

But the good news with such a broad topic is that you can cast a very wide net. Think Lewis & Clark, Indiana Jones, mapping, treasure hunts, meeting new cultures, exploring the world of animals, etc.

Are there certain program areas you're looking for ideas for?

Lewis and Clark: "I just got a $200. discount on my canoe insurance!"

Columbus: "But my Queen! If you want chow mein, I can get it quicker by sailing WEST to pick it up, than by sailing WEST!!"

Jack London, Robert Service, The Yukon Gold Rush,"Snow Dogs": "Mush! Mush!"

Go where the spirit leads you! Good possibilities! Crafty stuff as appropriate. Nature trail as led by discovery.

KiS MiF YiS

Depending on your day camp (three day/five day, all day/half day) you could use a different motif each day. Example:

Mon: Prarie day (have guest speaker from historical society talk about wagon trains and

transporting families out west.

Tue: Knights of Round Table. Have a member of the SCA for a guest speaker to talk of life

in the middle ages.

Wed: Space 2200. Do a fantasy space trip. Get research data from NASA (online maybe) for

backdrops.

Thu: Sailing with the Pilgrims. Talk about life in the 16th/17th century. How life on

ship was much more difficult than people understand as the ship had no power but wind

and limited cooking (fires not welcome on wooden ships). Lots of info available from

Mass Historic society and the Plymouth Plantation.

Fri: Aces over Europe. Discuss world war II. The end of the week compatition could be the

space race derby or egg drop both wich will fit into the daily theme. You could find

a veteren from the war to talk at lunch to the boys about comradeship, Scoutcraft

(compass/map/signaling/...)

Move items/change items to fit what you have available. This is only a suggestion.

The campfire will fit in well with anything. If you are going BBQ style, the western and the aces work well.

With boys of Cub Scout age. Life is an adventure. Just make it as much fun as possible and try to keep the crafts and skills simple (age appropriate). Everything else will work out in smiles.

Enjoy

Maybe you can try checking the past issues of the Baloos Bugle. There may be some theme based ideas there.

Amazing Adventures is a very broad theme. There are so many adventure that can be gone on.

Hope you have fun with this.