structure of communication with pack and leaders

As someone who eventually will take over the roll of CC, I am looking for input as to communicating between the pack and the leaders and some type of summary/monthly document that is a one stop shop for finding out what is going on and when.

1) we currently have a mix of methods, a website with a monthly calendar that is usually not current, a yahoo group for leaders and one for the pack and a monthly newsletter that has key stats.

2) when changes or additions happen it seems like we end up with a barrage of emails to our yahoo groups. This also becomes an inefficient way to handle any changes that need discussions (dates, locations, etc).

3) we have scout mate but have had no training on it and are looking at something called Troopmaster/packmaster.

4) the current CC kind of updates some stuff and creates the monthly newsletter and makes decisions on what next.

I need to note that this pack a mere 4 years ago had under 10 scouts - now we have close to 60.

I am getting very concerned about taking over this role as in my prior jobs as well as non profit work roles were really clearly defined. I know there is a lot of overall top down organization needed but I also dont want to argue with the "well its always worked for us before" theories.

input??? Thanks

YOU ARE BRAVE! (This is your mantra.)

Get together with your CM and make sure you can work together as a team.

1) Inventory the Commitee. Have everyone on the Pack Committee write a Position description for the position they hold now. Use these as a basis to see if there are gaps in the organization, postions not well defined, someone constantly acting contrary to the positon's name (rename the positon if necessary), etc.

2) Standardize the format of the job descriptions and then have the Committee vote on the whole package. Everyone now has a job description that you, the CM, and anyone else can refer to. Schedule a pack calendar meeting for leaders and committee members and plan out the next 18 months.

3) Decide the one way the pack communicates best and use it. Set the calendar and make non-emergency changes at your Pack Committee/Leaders meeting. If you have a small executive committee that includes you and the CM, let that group make emergency calendar changes, as in: the Camporee site flooded on Wednesday night shall we reschedule or have a day event instead?

4) All the packs/troops we've been with use Troop/Packmaster. It isn't that hard and is fairly intuitive, to me at least and hopefully your Advancement Chair, too. Play with it before a complete transition if you go that way.

Find out as much as possible about what you are expected to do as a CC from your COR, CO, and the district support team. Take advantage of any relevant training you can go to. Then, begin to make the job your own within those parameters.

Your pack has grown by leaps and bounds (kudos). Look at this as a time to firm up pack policies and procedures and get things written down and agreed to.

Nike gave you great advice.

About troopmaster - most troops around here use it. It can be great for advancement, rechartering, and membership data. I don't see us ever using it as a calendar tool though and doubt it would be useful to you in that capacity.

Regarding overall communication, it will help you a lot if you and the CM are in agreement on how you'll handle this. Ideally, you can set the standard and expectations for the committee, and the CM can do the same for the DLs (DLs answer to the CM, not you). DLs should be communicating up and down the chain with the parents in their dens, rather than sending parents straight to you. That reduces the # of people you need to deal with on a regular basis.

now my stress level is really up.

Most of the positions that would be "job description" type do not attend commitee meetings regularly, ie advancement, treasurer, or other. Is there a list of suggested positions?

I will be blunt - I went to our District commitee meeting and just wasnt that impressed. Basically it is pretty much controlled by one HUGE boy scout troop in that area which really isnt demographically similar to our pack. But it is huge and has been there forever.

I need to check into the job descriptions. The way I would phrase it is that basically in the past anything that no one else did or didnt want to do or never did, the CC filled in the blanks.

If you have a pack our size and could tell what positions exist and if they routinely come to commitee meetings it would be great.

I am kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The current CC is so well liked and knows everyone and also again basically does it all. Kind of the Pack Mom. I am more than 100% sure I cannot do all she has done but I just dont want to fall on my face.

Thanks for you input.

for our pack we had monthly leader meetings... the DL and all pack position people were to be there. occassionally things would come up and someone would have to miss it - if it was a DL then we asked that they send another adult from their den to be the meeting so they could take notes back to their leader.

the CC &/or CM would write up an agenda for the meeting... the secretary would take notes... after meeting the secretary would email out the minutes from the meeting.

basic agenda would be:

old business - past pack meeting - # attended, how did it go, changes for next year

committee member reports: treasure, advancement, fundraising, what ever you have

den leader reports: each leader give little note of what they've been doing or if they need help with an issue

next pack meeting final notes: update any info for the upcoming months pack meeting

upcoming pack meetings: set dates as soon as possible, let adults know what is going to take place, what is needed from who ever --- some are just little short info needed, other events need more work and therefore can really use a few months to just jot over until finally planned.

You want to know about the structure of the Pack Committee, who does what, and how it runs, I suggest you start here -

http://www.scouting.org/Applications/MyScoutingFull.aspx

Register, and then go to the E-Learning site. Take Cub Scout Pack Committee Fast Start Training, along with Youth Protection.

Then find out from your council when the next New Leader Essentials, and Cub Scout Leader Specific training will be, and sign up.

In the meantime you can check out this section on the Pack Committee at the BSA National site -

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/aboutcubscouts/thepack/pcomm.aspx

As you will learn in your training, the monthly Pack Leaders meeting is run by the CC, in conjunction with the CM, and all Pack Committee members and den leaders attend. Den leaders take information back to their dens.

A Pack newsletter (either hard copy, e-newsletter, or both for those who do not have the internet) works well. This can be created, and updated by the Pack Secretary. Any last minute changes should be transmitted to the den leaders to be transmitted to their den families.

You said you have Scout Mate, but have had no training on it. As far as I know there is no formal training for any of the Pack management programs. You simply get on, poke around, and start using it.

There are quite a few folks who like Scout Mate. The major problem I have with that program is that the site owners are no longer supporting the BSA side of the program. It is still out there, but no updates or changes are being made.

PackMaster has quite a loyal following. Troopmaster was one of the first programs, and many Troop use that program. It's one major drawback IMO is that you must purchase a CD disc and the program must be loaded onto any computer that will be using the program.

Scout Track and Scout Manage are both online based programs that do not need anything to be downloaded on a computer in order to be used. You simply go online and login. Both programs can have the parents go online to mark off their son's completed requirements.

We use Scout Manage. It includes a calendar program that will e-mail the appropriate people before the event as a reminder. It includes an online blog area where you can leave notes for members of the Pack, or ask questions. It also has a sort of home page interface that is nice.

With all of these programs you can have a free trial period to see how you like it.

Some would say that our pack/troop controls district as well, but then we are the largest units and have the most people willing to volunteer. But, activities are not subsumed to our scouts wishes and wants, unless no one else bothers to volunteer for committees. ;)

How about your district Roundtable? At ours the CS and BS split up and talk about programming and solutions. Maybe they could help you or at least be a sounding board.

You mentioned you attended a District Committee meeting. Why? As a unit CC, you will really have no role on the District Committee (although you can attend if you need another meeting to go to), unless you are elected as a District Member at Large (which I wouldn't recommend for unit leaders). Your COR is the one who should be attending, as they are ex officio members of the District Committee and have a vote. You mention that the District is "controlled" by one unit...this can't happen if all the CORs show up and do their jobs. As a unit CC, you should be attending monthly Cub Roundtable meetings, and as the others said, get trained ASAP.

A year ago, prior to becoming involved with a troop, I didn't understand how important training or going to roundtables is.

Want everyone on the committee on the same page with respect to the unit? Push training. I've found lots of adult leaders have a preconceived notion on how things should be run, but it might be an enlightening experience for them to hear directly about the program.

The online training is quick and painless (Fast Start, Youth Protection). New Leader Essentials and Position-specific training takes either a couple of evenings, or one weekend day. In our council, those are offered by one district or another on a quarterly basis.

One huge benefit of going to training, and the monthly roundtable, is the networking. You can hear directly about things that other units do. I get great ideas all the time. I'm not even that social of a person, but I have all sorts of new friends. The kind I can send an email or question or two every now and then.

Guy

it was a roundtable not a district committee meeting.

Also I am trained - have been through the CC and the leader training and the online training also. But since no one really goes "by the book" to the letter I was just looking for some real life examples.

thanks again

another note - when I had a real job pre kids one of the ways that you learned your job was to talk to other people in your position.

It just seems like in a large group like Scouts your first line of information would be folks in your job in other packs, NOT necessarily the district. They should be able to tell you what really happens and real world answers.

My perception is that this is not routine and I dont really understand it. - Does anyone else do this - We are in an area with 11 districts (in San Diego County) and I assume that this translates to a minimum of probably 50 to 60 packs?

It just seems like each pack has to re-invent the wheel on an ongoing basis.

"It just seems like in a large group like Scouts your first line of information would be folks in your job in other packs, NOT necessarily the district. They should be able to tell you what really happens and real world answers."

I get the impression that the roundtables are intended to work that way--a district-wide collection of Pack CCs, CMs & DLs hashing out how things work.

That's not what happens in my district--upcoming events are announced (awesome) then we have a presentation of this month's Baloo Bugle. The networking "what do y'all do differently?" kind of conversations just don't happen--unless it happens in whispers around the program.

In my pack, we don't communicate very well. Pretty much, all email announcements come from me (The CC). When the CM has something to tell everyone, or ask everyone, he emails me to handle the bulk emails.

After our committee meetings, I add my notes to the minutes & email to everyone that was and should have been at the meeting. We were supposed to have a Pack Secretary to do the minutes, but he sort of dropped away from that role. This way, at least, the information gets shared.

Then, I write a digest format for the whole Pack--basically the announcements from roundtable for district things, and whatever things the pack committee worked out, like campout dates and what-not.

We have monthly committee meetings and each den is supposed to be represented. Anyone wo can't be thee is supposed to submit updates.

We do an agenda which is emailed out to leaders and then the minutes are distributed by email afterwards. this way everyone is in the loop as to waht is and will be going on.

Items on it;

Den reports

Next pack meeting- theme when awards deadline/ den duites

pack meeting after that- brief theme discussion

any upcoming activites- who/what/where/deadlines

votes and discussion for any other activites

Training reports

council report

treasurers report

secretaty report

Round table info- share items

We give out lots of assignmnets for dens for pinewood- evetns/pack meetings. etc so the that is duscussed.

Any other general pack stuff as well- depends on time of year.

The details are left to individual committees to hammer out.

We try to keep meeting to 1 1/2 hours tops- this is still too long!!

I have found the newsletter this year works well. we have a website and use emails and brief discussion during pack meetings too.

if we have lots of evetns coming up I send out a calender.

Our wesite has a calander too.

If you use a website you need it to be up to date or it is no good.

Leaders need to communicate with their dens the info as well.

To start with many people remember different information different ways. One person might need to hear it. Another might need to see it. Again another might need to be the person passing on the information. It is because of this that I feel it's important to use many methods of communication. Use a newsletter, use a website, make announcements, send an email. The newsletter and website can be the responsiblity of the Secretary. The announcements the responsibility of Committee Chairman, Cubmaster, and/or Den Leaders. The email the responsibility of Committee Chairman or Cubmaster.

HOWEVER, make sure that any information you have in front of your leaders is accurate. A website that is not updated as of the information "passed" at your last Pack Leader's Meeting/Committee Meeting will do more harm than good. It will provide inaccurate information that some will surely relay on.

To get prepared for your job read the Cub Scout Leader's Book. There is a lot of information in the book. I'm not sure what your exact timeline is for assuming this position, but there are additional things that should/can be done. Present yourself to the Executive Officer. Become a friend of the Cubmaster...your partner in scouting. Continue attending Roundtable to get information from your district. Be willing to continue learning.

I liked the idea of job descriptions. I also liked the idea of having people write their own. However, something that I did for this charter year was write job descriptions based on the Scouting Material and I went over them with each of the Pack's volunteers. I made sure that they were comfortable taking on each responsiblity.

I know that the district can be controlled by a few large troops. BSA has it set up that COR's get a vote in District matters. However, I also know that there are COR's who are not involved. Who know little about their unit and even less about the district. I work with a COR who is active with our unit, but not active with the district. I live in a district where many of the VCs are not Chartered Org. Reps.