Paint for Cub Scouts

I just had a question about paints that Cub Scouts use. What does everyone reccommend. Tempera, Oil, or what.

I used spray paint on last years pinewood derby models, but I was wondering so that we can be ready for this year.

Any help would be appreciated.

Just had a discussion on this last nite with the other half after being shocked at how people are going overboard and selling ready-to-race PWD cars on ebay. Where's the fun in that?

Anyway she suggested using fingernail polish. You can get it in any color, it comes with a fine brush for detail work, and hardens into a smooth coat.

Eagle92

The only thing that comes to mind when I think about Ebay cars is "Down and Derby"

I watched that the other day, and I just kept laughing.

I am not talking just about PWD. What kind of paints for other crafts.

I prefer water color paints for Cub Scouts. Parents don't get quite so mad, or calm down pretty quickly when they realize all they have to do is pop their Cub Scout into a shower to wash the paint off.

Oh, wait - you weren't really asking about what kind of paint is best for painting Cub Scouts, were you? Nevermind.

CP

If the meeting is at MY house - water based Tempra paints.

If its at someone elses house - oil based, stains, and spar varnish are my first 3 choices...

Hee, Hee

BTW - When I paint the scouts, we use - Orange for Tigers, Yellow for Wolves, Blue for Bears, and Plaid for Webelos..... Duuuhhhhh !

We typically use acrylic craft paint. First coat is sealer, final is varnish - satin or gloss depending on the project. The scouts that live at my house use some model paint occasionally. The acrylic paint looks good, though, if it's finished appropriately.

As a former Cubmaster (and committed race official), I have seen it all. From airburshed lacquers (automotive quality paints), to out of the can sprays, to nail polish, water colors (you know the cheap kit with the trays) to magic markers---everything!

If it works, it works! This is all about the boys and the boys having fun and being proud of what they have done. If they can be satisified with watercolors, then God bless them! Highly refined paint and finish does not make a car go faster.

Thanks for the input so far. I was at a hobby shop today and saw something that I thought I would get. It is a Model paint kit. It has a compressed bottle and runs off of standard testors paint bottles. Looked pretty cool. I think that it $30. Not too bad for a air brush kit.

Great little kits. I know the ones you are talking about.

If you are really seeking a good looking finish, some quick tips:

1) Sand smooth. Use 120, 150, 180, and 220 grit papers for pine

2) Sand some more.

3) For good measure, do a little more sanding.

4) Coat with a water based "Sanding Sealer." (Paint or home imporvement store). This will seal the grain so it will not show through the paint.

5) Sand the sealer.

6) Apply a good sandable primer. This will all good adhesion and provide a smooth surface for a nice finish.

7) Yup, you guessed it. Sand some more (probably 220 or 320 grit).

8) Several coats of finish paint.

9) If you use a lacquer (not model enamels) after the first 3 coats, give it a good sanding with 320 or 400, before applying the last 2-3 coats.

I really like the lacquer, because it provides a smooth, non absorbant layer which resists being stained with graphite. I believe it is "faster" than enamels (by having reduced the friction points of the wheels against the body--this is oninion, not scientifically tested).

Make it fun. Let the boys do all the work safely. And again, have fun! I still have memories of making my car with my dad and older brother as a 3rd grader almost 35 years ago!

I would not recommend anything that is solvent based (oil, enamel, lacquer, spray paint etc..). There is no reason to expose cubs to these more hazardous materials when there are safer water based alternatives. I know that most of us grew up sniffing glue (indirectly I hope) and panting model cars and airplanes with enamel but read our posts and the damage is clear.

Seriously, school art rooms have banished most of these materials with good reason. It is unlikely that cubs are going to work with the type of ventilation and/or respirators needed and even nail polish requires acetone for cleanup.

Personally, I prefer acrylic paints but it does not come out of clothes so poster paint might be smarter.