Recommendations to help fix a bad day camp

We attended a day camp this weekend and we were disappointed with it in comparison to last years. Our pack was not the only one to notice this. I talked with the young man that was the Camp Director about it and came to learn some interesting things.

First he said that he had minimal help. That a lot of the planning was last minute and he had to do most of it because he was unable to recruit some help.

Second, he said that when he went to NCS they only had a 1 hour block of instruction on Cub Scout camping. He said that he was not that familiar with the Cub Scout camping, that he started in boy scouts and that he was unfamiliar with Cub Scouting Programs.

Third, The archery and BB Gun set ups had some well used equipment. I think that the arrows were used for many years in the past and the BB Gunshad considerable amounts of rust. Not that they are the highest quality bb guns, but they still look well used.

I told the young man that if he wanted to find out more about Cub Scouting, he could contact me. He lives in a nearby town so a face to face would not be too much work to do. And yes, I tried to recruit a leader.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I may be able to bring up to help make next years a better one.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you've answered your own question. Seems as if it is already better off for next year becuase this young leader has his first new volunteer... :)

Seriously, this is not directed at you but a statement in general. I am amazed each year at how many parents like to complain. I and many others are always willing to listen and learn. Generally, we try to take thier advice and implement when we can becuase some folks have great ideas.

However, many who are the first to complain are the last to volunteer. If you truly think it was that bad, and you are willing to help him, be a servant leader and step up to the plate. You obviously care more than most or you wouldn't be posting for help on the board.

I'm sure you will do an awesome job!

SctDad: Your nascent CSDC Director has learned his first lesson. The farther ahead the planning starts, the better.

Recruit help from the attenders: Note the folks that get involved and express an interest; call and bring them in. Go to roundtable and beat the drum. Go to the District leadership and make sure they know about the need.( wait a minute... this was a weekend camp? Winter time? Must be down south, I guess...) .

The gear for such camps is usually supplied/stored/supplied by the Council. Beat on their doors, too, to let them know about the need for equipment replacement. CSDC in our Council has a budget that is predicated on the camp fees, and a balance of what the Council can provide and what needs to be supplied (things that are used again and again and things that are used up).

CSDC are mostly fun rather than Scout Skill Competitions, so games and activities that provide a "wow" factor are desirable.

And don't forget to drag, er,recruit an assistant. Give him/her an appropriate title. "First Supreme Absolute Everything Else" might be good. They will recruit the "Specials". A CSDC Special is something in line with the theme if there is one. Or not. A visit from the State Police Helicopter. Fire and Rescue. Model airplane R/C club. Trick roper cowboy. Lots of possibilities, all ya gotta do is ask'em. The mention of Cub Scouts opens many doors.

And remember:

As that great philosopher , Bob the Tomato, once noted, "it's for the kids".

YiS

The best thing you can do is to sit down and write a thoughtful and courteous letter to the local council Scout Executive, and District Executive. Tell them what you observed, and what your recommendations are for improvement, and what you would be willing to do to help with those changes.

It could be anything from working on staff, helping with camp setup, maybe even helping with the Friends of Scouting Fundraising campaign so that the council can afford new equipment.

But other than that there is really not much you can do. You have no authority in the selection or development of the camp director. You have no say in the purchase of equipment, you have no say in the planning of the camp activities.

Your best contribution would be in a thoughtful evaluation of your experience at the camp, and your willingness to contribute in whatever way you can if called upon.

SctDad,

Although I agree with what has previously been stated, especially about volunteering, I am curious. Cub Scout Day Camp in December? Most camp schools (NCS included) train for Summer camp. Someone did not train your Camp Director properly. Also, was that the Program Director or the Camp Director? The Program Director is responsible for the Program and the Camp Director is responsible for the Camp (facilities/advertising/funding/and District provided equipment).

Best bet for next year is to volunteer early, plan early (plan for worst and hope for best), and get as many helpers as you can.

"he said that when he went to NCS they only had a 1 hour block of instruction on Cub Scout camping" ???

Not sure if we are on the same page?

I have (Be it some time back!!) Staffed the National Camp School Cubscout Day-Camp courses. (There used to be one for program Director and one for Camp Director,the last time I was on staff the two courses were combined)

The course deals only with Cub Scout Day Camp and is a very full weekend course. In fact it is at times hard to get everything that needs to be covered in and can at times run late into the night on Saturday.

Are you sure it was a District /Council Day Camp? If so there are standards that do have to be met and an inspection is done to ensure that the standards are in place and met.

I do find it odd that a Day Camp would be held this time of the year.

In our area Cub Scout Day Camps fall under the Council Camping Committee and are run by the District Camping /Outdoor Activities Committee. The inspection sheet does act as a tool to show what and where improvements are needed.

Planning for a Day Camp starts the second last years(This years.) camp ends if not before. Many of the positions that need to be filled are mandatory. The paperwork that shows what is going on and who is doing it along with what certifications they have is set by the Standards and is needed for the inspection.

I kinda think that this maybe wasn't a Day Camp? Maybe a District event for Cub Scouts?

This being the case I do question the wisdom of holding an event that requires so many volunteers this time of the year.

Most Cub Scouter's are parents of young children and December is a very busy time of the year.

The Shooting Sports equipment in most Councils is owned by the Council and looked after by the Camping Committee. If it is in not the best shape this should be brought to the attention of that committee.

Harsh as it might sound if the event didn't have enough volunteers that were needed to ensure the delivery of a good and safe program it should not have been allowed to go on.

It should have been canceled.

If you and the Pack were unhappy with the event you might want to have your COR bring this up at the next District Committee Meeting. I'm sure most District Committees would love to see a few more COR's.

Eamonn.

E,

Sounds to me like the local Council sent the Director to A NCS... not THE NCS covering Cub Scout Day Camping...

There are fixable issues here, many involving manpower and sweat equity. The are issues which will take qualifed people (rangemasters in particular), inspecting equipment at the point of issue and rejecting items not in order.

I think the biggest issues, planning and seeking volunteers, has already begun for the 2010 season.

BTW, those who do have gut-checks on quality of program delivered have a recourse: Through their CORs, get the attention of the District Chairman and the Council Camping Committee Chair.

Worn out old equipment is fairly standard for cub scout day camp shooting sports activities. I have been the shooting sports director for ours the past three years and most of my actual work time is fixing equipment. The teenage Jr. Range masters actually run the ranges. I oil, glue, and duct tape bb guns. Put new rubbers on wrist rockets and restring bows. We do have enough arrows but some of them do show their age. Some of the bb guns were so worn that if the gun was oriented downward the bb would roll out the muzzle. Others would loose their air charge. This is easily solvable with some cash. Club in a box kits are available from Daisey (Avanti) for $590 with 10 bb guns, glasses bb's, targets, along with a nice box to put them in. My idea was to purchase the kit and make them available to the campers to buy after day camp was over that way you could have new equipment every year and the boys would end up with a much nicer than normal bb gun for a reasonable price. No one else liked the idea though.

The other tip is on archery targets make your targets out of inexpensive Styrofoam with target faces applied and hold the targets up with sign stands 2 per target this eliminates all the archery cord and target stand collapse problems.

You just got sucked in to the vortex.

I mad ethe mistake of suggesting a camp module to our DE. Guess what? I'm on the planning team.

After noticing that many of the cubs and lots of parents don't really know proper flag etiquette, like shutting up when the flag is being raised, I suggested that we do some scout skills stuff, flags, fire building and a little bit of the cool stuff.

Due to a scheduling conflict, my kid won't be going to day camp this year, but I'll be there.

For all of those that were asking. Yes this was a day camp. We showed up in the morning and left in the evening.

Yes it was cold. The only complaints that I heard about were from some of my scout parents who, even after an extensive list of how to dress in layers and prepare for cold weather, still did not do it right. But I provided the right information for all that were going. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink.

Safety was never an issue with the Shooting sports. Everything worked safely, just things were showing age.

Thanks for the help so far. I am taking notes and looking to other things that people are mentioning.

But other than that there is really not much you can do. You have no authority in the selection or development of the camp director. You have no say in the purchase of equipment, you have no say in the planning of the camp activities.

If you volunteer at a high enough level (on the camping committee, as camp director, etc.), you could!

Like John-in-KC, I would doubt that this fellow was sent to the right NCS course. Making sure he got proper training would be the right first move.

What were the other primary problems, besides a lack of familiarity with CS programs and old equipment? Also, was the camp held at a council camp or at a state park or private campground?

shortridge

for some of your questions. Yes this was held at a council owned camp. It is one of the lesser used camps. I personally think that it could be used a little more. But htat is far above me.

As for the other issues, there was just not enough pre-planned rotation of events, and the crafts were not the best in my mind. Last year was great and many were disappointed. Not to mention, I think that they shafted the Day Camp because they did not even have patches for the boys. I told the parents that they gave them out last year.

They did do a short flag raising ceremony though, and that was an advancement that some of the boys needed.

Thanks for the help so far.

From the BSA Website

Day Camps

"Day camp is an organized one- to five-day program for Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts conducted by the council under certified leadership at an approved site. Day camps are conducted during daylight or early evening hours. Day camps do not include any overnight activities.

Check with your council and district leaders for day camp opportunities available in your area."

I do not know where the confusion about DAY CAMP. We went there in the morning, stayed during the Day, and left that evening. No overnight camp.

It is not that hard to understand.

SctDad,

I think most folks think of "day camp" as a five-day program during the summer - that's certainly what my experience has been. I admit I was surprised to find out that "day camp" includes one-day events.

In my council, there are occasional one-day events for Cubs during the year - in the fall and spring. Those aren't called "day camps," and thus don't require an NCS-certified director. They're usually run by miscellaneous volunteers, Campmasters and the camp staff Venturing crew.

Since you say it was held at a council camp, there may be deeper issues here. The shooting sports equipment used may have been the resident camp's own gear, which means the entire camp is in need of some help - not just a day camp issue.

How inexperienced was the camp director in general? Was this his first camp directing experience?