Arrow of Light question:

All,

This past weekend my District had Webelos in the Woods campout.

This event is a Boy Scout ran event where Troops through out the district man a station and teach the Webelos scout different scout skills to give them a taste of scouting.

The requirements state the following:

4. With your Webelos den, visit at least

o one Boy Scout troop meeting, and

o one Boy Scout-oriented outdoor activity.

(If you have already done this when you earned your Outdoorsman activity badge, you may not use it to fulfill requirements for your Arrow of Light Award requirements.)

5. Participate in a Webelos overnight campout or day hike.

(If you have already done this when you earned your Outdoorsman activity badge, you may not use it to fulfill requirements for your Arrow of Light Award requirements.)

Here is my question:

Would this event cover the second part of requirement 4 and also requirement 5?

Thanks for your help,

Mark M.

We call these things 'Webelorees" in my neck of the woods, and the event only covers requirement 5. Now I do know of a few units that take Webelos on two campouts, usually spring camporee and fall camporee. Way I've been told is that fall camporee covers outdoorsman, Webeloree handles AOL 5, and Spring camporee covers AOL 4b

Now a question, why are you trying to find ways to shortcut the requirements? Why not say, Hey! We have a chance to go see some Boy Scouts in action!?"

Why do you think I'm trying to shortcut requirements? I just wanted to make sure I understood the requirements and to make sure the scouts fulfill them or not. I want all my scouts to earn the rank honestly but not find out later that I misread a requirement and a boy(s) suffered because of it! Is that such a bad thing? Heck if I wanted to make shortcuts I would not have asked the question and just marked them down as complete!

Thanks all for answering the question,

Mark M.(This message has been edited by hendrickms24)

Yeah, Eagle92, we actually have one of each. Our Webeloree is held at our Council Camp, and is run by boy scout camp counselors. It's held the Th-Fr-Sat before the regular camp scheduele begins. It says "Here's a little taste of summer camp."

We have another event similar to the Webelos Woods others are talking about here in the fall. Well, actually it's been held the first weekend of December the last couple years so attendance has been a little thin. Webelos camp with their parents in one area, while the hosting boy scouts camp with their patrols about 1/4 mile away. The scouts form the Webelos into their own patrols, and lead them through a series of scoutcraft lessons, similar to the Troop Guide-New Scout Patrol model.

Two campouts. Two ideals.