Webelos Patrol Patches

Hi,

Quick question - does it matter if you let your Webelos den choose a patrol badge and name in Webelos 1 or 2? I know this is to prepare them more towards Boy Scouts but has anyone does this in Webelos 1?

Thanks

To be pedantic, they aren't choosing a "patrol" emblem or name, they are choosing a name and emblem for their den.

That said, my son's den opted to stay in blue and keep their number. The reason was that they didn't want to look like Boy Scouts.

Thanks. Yeah, I just phrased it wrong. I know they are still a den actually - they just choose a name for a patrol along with a patrol badge.

Can anyone else suggest if your Webelos den did this as 1 or 2?

Thanks

Well, to continue the pedantry, Webelos are Webelos - no such thing as 1 and 2 or Jr. and Sr. Just Webelos. Just because most packs have a den of 4th graders who are Webelos Scouts and another den of 5th graders who are Webelos Scouts, doesn't make a whit of difference, they're still all Webelos.

So, the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.

ok to actually answer your question - no it does not matter when, during their time as webelos, they choose an emblem and a name.

Ours could hardly wait and saw it as a way to distinguish themselves from the younger cubs. We used this, along with developing a new flag and yell, as a simple way to begin the slow transition from very much adult led cub scouting, to the more boy led flavor of boy scouting.

When I was a Webelos leader, we made the change when the boys asked about it. This process was part of those steps designed as LisaBob indicates of moving from adult to boy led emphasis.

Stosh

Thanks everyone for their replies. The reason I was asking is because no Webelos den has even done this before in our pack. Since I've also become committee chairman last year I've had the pack do alot more such as recognize the leaders for ther hard work and awards leader awards which has never been done. I am a Webelos den leader this coming year and while reading online for projects, I found out about the patrol names/badges.

Thanks

Our incoming Webelos dens pick their patrol emblem as the final thing in their Bear year. It is presented to them at our awards dinner in April. I can't think of any that were not excited about it...kind of a right of passage into Webelos thing for them.

Just a note. Den flags and yells are not reserved for Webelos. Every den should have them, from the Tigers on up.

They should be part of every pack meeting.

The den flag should be posted by the den's seating area at the pack meeting, and be used in the den meeting, along with the U.S. flag.

Den yells are great for recognizing a den's participation in the pack meeting; and for cheering den members when awards are presented.

For our Pack, it is done at the last Den meeting before our "bridging / advancement" Pack meeting where the Bears are promoted to Webelos. This year we handed out Den patches to the boys at that meeting.

The only rule we have is that the boys can't use Tigers, Wolves, Bears or whatever the two Webelos Dens ahead of them used.

When I was a Webelos den leader I generally had them become a Patrol in the 2nd year, however it doesn't really matter if you do it in the 1st or 2nd year. You should also be thinking when and how this can be used to encourage them to move into boy scouts. It is something like less then half of all cubs cross up. Off top of my head I don't know the real numbers but I am sure some one here does...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one resource at a time...