Our council (Clinton Valley) allows adult scouters to earn a "Merit Badge" at the council owned summer camp. Most of the requirements are based on the fact that the scouter should be actively involved, visiting all stations, help out, do a service project, sign up for next year, attend chapel services, etc. When earned, the adult scouter (Scoutmaster or Asst. Scoutmaster) has the opportunity to donate $3.00 to help fund a camp scholarship program to receive his merit badge.

I realize that this is one of those "council only" type awards, not official BSA, but my question is where, how or if I should wear the merit badge. I've seen some adults wear it as sort of a patrol patch on their right shoulder (beneath the flag). By the way, the merit badge depicts a rocking chair. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

If you are asking for the the technically correct answer.....

1. If as you say it is not an "official" badge, then it does not go anywhere onthe official unifor. it could be displayed on a vest, non-official jacket, scrap book, patch blanket etc.

2. If it meets the requirement of a locally produced district or council activity patch (ask you DE for the elements that the patch must contain) it could be worn on the right breast pocket only, as a temporary activity patch, and nowhere else on the uniform.

hope this helps,

Bob White

Our Council has a similar progam, actually has three levels, Scoutmaster Merit Badge,Advanced Scoutmaster Merit badge and Super Scouter merit badge The patch depicts more of a muscular Dudley Dooright in a scoutmaster uniform that anything else. Since it is a council program, our scouters wear them on the right breast pocket

Thanks for your responses. Your answers are what I expected (wear non-official badges as temporary insignia on the right breast pocket). It is just that the patch is just so small (the same size as the merit badges) that the temporary badge holders that I have (rectangular, round, square) are so much bigger! Just kidding of course. Thanks again.

Adults can earn ;the BSA Lifeguard (same requirements) and there are many high adventure and historic trails awards that any adult can earn. Many fo these are medals with ribbons. They make nice wall decorations for your office. Sure an easy way to find out which people you know are scouts.

I have noticed that in the troop that is the leading contender for my son to join next spring, the adult leaders wear a customized patrol patch (in the patrol patch position) reading "Old Goat Patrol." Technically proper? Clearly not, but it seems harmless. I have not asked about it, but my guess is that the "old goats" hanging out together became a joke within the troop, and they decided to wear the joke on their uniforms. (By the way, this may be a clue that this troop uses the patrol method, as the "old goats" are keeping to themselves on campouts rather than hanging out with the patrols. It may also indicate why all the leaders from this troop who I have met are men, as I have never met a woman who would refer to herself as an "old goat." :) )

Obviously I will recommend a unit to my son based on other considerations, such as do they use first class - first year (this one seems to, I have to have a more detailed talk with the scoutmaster), is it boy-run (apparently yes), do they have an active outdoor program (apparently yes), and does my son know other boys in the troop (yes, 9 boys from my pack crossed over to that troop this past spring.)(This message has been edited by NJCubScouter)