Rank graduation

There is really no such thing as a Webelos I or Webelos II. There are simply Webelos. One does not move from "Webleos I" to "Webelos II," one merely continues as a Webelos.

I don't believe that there are any pins, patches or anything that can be earned by a second year Webelos that can't be earned by a first year Webelos. I know that someone will yell, "What about AOL?" but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Parents create a distinction that doesn't exist in order to make themselves feel special and to make their kids feel special.

If you want to do anything, point out to the boys that they are beginning their last year of Cub Scouting and that soon they'll become Boy Scouts and that they are expected to lead by example.

I did start this topic with 'Webelos I' and 'Webelos II' usage. Notice that I did not use those specific terms in my last post. I have learned some from reading the many posts on this forum. Understanding that these are not official names, these are good terms to specify which year the Webelos are in. I want to include the boys moving into their 2nd year of Webelos so that they don't feel left out at year end. I don't see any problem using the I and II to distinguish the year in the Webelos program.

I am not a real big fan of the Webelos 1 and 2 designations, but I can live with them easier than "Webelo".

Ultimately they are simply ways for the Pack to differentiate between two different dens of scouts. While the Webelos program is one program, 18 months long, you do NOT typically have all of a Packs Webelos in one den, with boys entering and leaving that one den every year.

You could call them 4th Grade Webelos and 5th Grade Webelos, but, if they do not have den names (dragon den) it is easier, quicker, and just as descriptive to use Webelos 1 and 2 when talking about the Webelos dens in a Pack.

Our pack presents the boys with their new neckerchief, slide, and handbook when they graduate ranks. For the Webelos going into their second year, we present them with their new Den emblem patch that they have chosen before the ceremony. As our boys have a tendancy lately to come up with... er... creative den names, we have had to order or create custom patches. Last year's Webelos were the "Flying Pigs". I can't wait to see what they come up with this year.

I think Webelos I and II are perfectly fine shorthand, fwiw.

"You could call them 4th Grade Webelos and 5th Grade Webelos, but, if they do not have den names (dragon den) it is easier, quicker, and just as descriptive to use Webelos 1 and 2 when talking about the Webelos dens in a Pack."

What's wrong with saying "Den 5" and "Den 9"?