Going camping without a pack

I have to wonder why you'd want to go to District Camping event as a participant without your pack. There wouldn't be much for you to do.

You might want to consider volunteering to be on staff for the event. That way you'd have grown-ups to hang out with, have something do do, and get fed as well. At least at my district's events, the staff gets fed.

Also by being on staff, you'd cease to be that faceless guy from Pack 954 and you'd make contacts that could help you in the future.

Around here people do it all the time, for instance if you are from a small pack that can't get other families interested, or for a larger pack when you can't go the same weekend as the other families. You might want to find out who you are sharing a cabin with ahead of time so that you can introduce yourself, as you will probably want to hang around with them much of the time.

As long as the event is a district/council one, and does not specify that you can only register as a Pack, there should be no problem with individual registrations.

My council will, depending on the size of the site and the number registering, group each pack together on it's own site. The rest will get put into mixed groups.

It is a great way to meet new folks from around the district/council.

Even if it states on your forms to register as a Pack, talk to the event Chair. They will usually take your registration anyway as no one likes to turn away boys!

And I thought he wanted to go camping without a BACKPACK!

If he's talking about taking his den, I'd say definitely. And if he's talking about himself and his child, I'd still say definitely. And if he just means himself alone, I agree with volunteering to be on staff.

Don't miss out on something you'd love to do because others can't/aren't interested.

Like AnaMaria, I assumed the title meant going camping without a backpack. If you go car camping, you can pack all your stuff in any manner of container. I find rubbermaid tubs are definitely recommended.

But if you're going to the back-country without a pack, then you're doing real survival camping. Sort of like the shoe-box campouts. I guess you could do a bed-roll like they used to in the old days. Or you could use a bag and a tump line (that's one of my favorite words...tump...tump...tump).

But if you just want to go without your Cub Scout pack - well, sure, go right ahead. I'd encourage it, in fact.

What do you mean by, "can I go camping without a pack if the rest of the group does not want or can't attend a district camping event? Or even special cub scout days and different places?"

Are you going camping by yourself or is some of the "group" going with you? Who is in the group? You and your boy? You, your boy, and some adults and their boys who happen to be in the pack? Some Tiger Cubs and their adult partners? A Cub Scout den? A Webelos den?

Depending on who you mean by your "group" and the nature of the camping, some of the advice you've already been given may run you smack dab in violation of BSA policy. For example, Cub Scouts can not go on a den campout at a state park with the den leader and cubmaster. However, they may participate in a resident overnight camping program operating under BSA National Camping School-trained leadership and managed by the council or they can go family camping with two or more family members, including at least one BSA member (could be the boy) of that family where parents are responsible for the supervision of their children and youth protection guidelines apply.

As always refer to the camping section of the Guide to Safe Scouting... just google it... and read the camping section.(This message has been edited by MarkS)

manuelsmum - Since you are BALOO trained, I will assume that you know the rules for Cub Scout camping, and are not attempting to take your Tiger den on a den Campout.

You asked about attending a District camping event without the rest of your Pack - this should not be a problem. Even though Districts will sometimes say to register as a Pack, they will take a registration from your Tiger AND his Tiger Partner by yourselves.

You also asked about attending special cub scout days at different places. I am assuming you are talking about District Cub Fun Days, Scout discount days at sports events, or even Scout overnights at zoos, ball fields, etc. As long as the event is open to all Cub Scouts (including Tigers), and you and your Tiger register and attend together, again, there should be no problem.

When you and your Tiger do attend one of these events, make sure you take LOTS of pictures and purchase a patch if possible. Then, at the next Pack meeting put up a little display showing the fun things your son did at the event. Hopefully this will spark interest in some of the other boys and their families, and when the next event comes up there will be a bigger representation by Pack families!

And remember, if your family has the equipment, you can go camping as a family outside of Scouts too! Include picture of these trips as well in a display and maybe you can get your Pack families interested in going on some Pack family camping trips!

HAVE FUN!