Acquiring a Den Chief?

My husband, the CM, and I have been pondering something. There are two very good Troops nearby. Which should we go with when acquiring a Den Chief for our Pack? Are there any guidelines or rules that we should know about?

If it helps at all....Troop 1 has a scout that attends our school (the school is K-8) and is a really good leader. Have talked in person with SM of Troop 1 (he helps run the monthly roundtable). Troop 2, a family in our Pack attends the church where Troop 2 meets and knows scouts from there, but we (any of the leaders) have never had contact with them.

Check with both Scoutmasters if they have any boys that would like to be den Chiefs.

See which have been trained as Den Chiefs.

See which are available to meet durning the times the den meets.

Have the den leaders meet and Interview them.

A good Den Chief will most likely be a good recruiter for his troop

Typically a Den Chief will work with one den, although I have seen instances of the him taking on a Pack focus

Just as important is to be sure that the den leader knows how to use a den chief. Yes, it's important for a boy scout to go through DC training, but if the den leader doesn't use the lad effectively, the young man has a frustrating experience. It leaves a sour taste on both sides. There needs to be understanding and commitment from the den leader and the prospective den chief as to what level of involvement is desired and how they will work with each other. The den leader's one-hour-a-week is likely to expand just a wee bit.

CM Randy: Okay, that makes more sense. When we looked at the organizational chart, I guess it never occured to me that each Den would have it's own DC. Duh, sometimes the obvious things just get missed.

Wow, I think that getting a DC for each Den will be a HUGE asset to our little Pack!

I have some questions that might help answer your question a little better. Have the Webelos in the past typically joined one of the two Troops or do some join Troop "1" and some join Troop "2". If your pack considers itself a "feeder" Pack to one particular Scout Troop, then that is the Troop to approach about Den Chiefs. If your Pack is "feeding" both Scout Troops, then you should ask both Troops to consider supplying some Den Chiefs. From your post, it doesn't appear that either of these Troops is a "sister" unit (both sponsored by the same group).

That being asked, I see no problem with asking for Den Chiefs from both Troops. A good Den Chief is a recruiting tool for his home Troop. A GREAT Den Chief is a recruiting tool for the Boy Scouts and doesn't care what Troop a Webelos joins, just as long as he crosses over and joins A Troop.

Get your Pack a few Den Chief's Handbooks - and have your Den Leaders (and CM, and ACM, and CC) read them. They'll help a lot. Den Chiefs can be a great addition to the Den and Pack program - and Packs that understand the program and support their Den Chiefs tend to thrive.

Now - to take it a step further and become a GREAT Pack that Scouts clamor to join as Den Chiefs: Buy each of the Den Chiefs a Den Chief Handbook of their very own (instead of looking to the Den Chief or his unit to buy it). Offer (to the Troops) to purchase the Den Chief braids/position patches for the boys (Den Chief is a Troop POR for Rank - Troops would typically purchase these items for the Scouts - having the Pack offer to purchase/reimburse for these items goes a long way to building Pack/Troop relations and keeping the Troop interested in continuing to supply you with Den Chiefs in the future). Give the Den Chiefs meaningful responsibilities in the Den/Pack - they aren't baby sitters - they should be involved with the leadership team of the Den (in fact, they are part of the leadership team of the Pack/Den) - don't treat them as 12 year old Cub Scouts. At the first opportunity, offer to get them to Den Chief Training - most districts hold it at least once per year (often times at the same time as the Cub Scout PowWow) - and be willing to pay for it.

Now to REALLY shine - assign one person (and ACM works well for this, or the Den Leader Coach can do this) the task of mentoring the Den Chiefs through a full years service and the tasks required to earn the Den Chief Service Award. They don't take charge of the Den Chiefs - just help them to earn the award. There is no reason in the world that any Den Chief, other than not serving for a full one year, shouldn't earn the Den Chief Service Award.

CalicoPenn

Calico: Well, we just started last October. Brand new Pack! Not just the leaders. We are just now getting a den with some Webelos I boys. And no, we do not have a sister unit. At least not yet. Give us time to build up the Pack first. We have 9 boys!

Loved the ideas you posted though! Will definitely be using those to get our little Pack to become a great Pack!

You might find that, just because you WANT a den chief, doesn't mean you are going to GET a den chief from a particular troop. Being a den chief can be a lot of fun, but it does mean another meeting to go to every week for the boy (and his parents, assuming they're driving him). And teenage boys have pretty busy schedules already. So I think it makes sense to ask both troops, because I'd be surprised if you found 3 or 4 boys (one for each den?) who are able and willing, all in one troop.

And then - depending on the adult leaders in your pack, consider whether you truly want a DC for each den this year. If you have leaders who are gung ho and excited about it, great - go for it. If they're lukewarm or if you're excited about setting this up *for* them and they're not interested, it could be more problem than help.

You might also want to see if your council offers a University of Scouting anytime soon (ours are usually in the fall), and if they do, whether there are any classes for adult leaders like "how to use a den chief." That's a popular one around here. Our council frequently offers den chief training (for the youth) at U of S too.

Granted safe scouting rules apply,

But some of the very best Den Mothers (yes, I am that old) I knew went and picked up their Den Chiefs from Jr High School. They took care of the transportation. They kept at least one of his Troop T-shirts at their place so he could change.

They got together for working breakfasts on Saturday mornings, mapping out the plan of attack. She knew what games he'd do, he knew what her major activity for the meeting was.

Yes, you have to modify some of this for these days of YP and SS, and that's sad. The vital, concept though, is still the same: The DC is a trusted partner to the adult, and shares responsibility for the leadership tasks of the Den. He plans together with the Den Leader, together they give the Cubs a grand time.

In some Troops, a contributing Den Chief is so important to recruiting that he is excused from much of the Monday Night follies of Troop Meeting. Scoutmasters know he's getting it done, and he's bringing home recruits to his Troop.

LL, absolutely ask both Troops. It's a good way to measure who cares about your growth and their own future!