? Webelos neckerchiefs (old vs new)

Hi, I'm new to the job of advancement chair for our pack. I was handed down a box of stuff, including neckerchiefs. As part of our graduation ceremony, each scout is given their new neckerchief. Among the neckerchiefs are two types - one has a rectangular Webelo symbol on them, the other has the newer "cutout" shape. There are enough of the old style to use with the group that is moving up, but should I use them up or just retire them and get more of the newer style?

Any thoughts????

Thanks,

Carole

Those darn neckerchiefs are expensive. Since you have enough of one style for all the boys to have "uniform" neckerchiefs, then unless someone in your group has really strong feelings to the contrary, I'd use the old ones up. The boys are probably not going to care which webelos emblem is on the scarf!

And welcome to the job! I loved being adv. chair - it gave me a good excuse to get to know all the boys and find out what cool things each den was up to.

Lisa

At $6.25 each, how many do you have? A Scout is thrifty.

I don't know if they would notice or care if they had different styles. Or you could save them for a time when you need them

When I became Cubmaster several years ago, the committee chair gave me a box also. There must ahve been three different shades of gold for the wolf kneckers. Nobody has said anything

Thanks for the feedback. The next group of Webelos after this one will be too large, as was the one before these guys, to be matching so I am leaning toward giving the old ones to this group. They are getting them for free so they shouldn't complain, right? I guess I just wonder why they changed them in the first place - like maybe they didn't lay flat or something?!?

Carole

They changed them so the emblem on the scarf would match the newer tan oval-shaped webelos rank badge. Personally I'm really not convinced of the necessity but then again, I also don't see why they need a new neckerchief (at about $6 a pop) for each and every rank, either.

Lisa'bob

Our Council just opened a new mega Cub Scout camp. The price for sodas in the machine in the Council store just changed from $1. to $1.25. (20 oz.) Is there a connection here?

We had a similar situation. We had a mixed bag of Webelos neckerchiefs, some old style, some new style. They were already paid for and available.

We gave out the mismatching neckerchiefs. Nobody noticed. I have kids who wear the neckercheifs inside out so that no emblem shows.

If you have enough for a matched den, go for it. It can be one more way to build Den pride.