Campfire Startups

I have been looking for a good inovative way to begin our campfire for the spring Pack Campout.

I found several ways to start the fire however one way I am still having trouble doing.

I have read in several places that Pinesol and granulated chlorine (pool supplies) will produce a flame.

I have not had a flame yet. All I get is a smell of chlorine and heat, but no flame.

Any thoughts or ideas? Has anyone used this method? Is it safe? It seems that to much chlorine gas is produced.

I would avoid the use of poisonous chemicals on campouts.

My favorite fire starting trick was using the Magic Fire Wand. It was a small, sturdy branch with a convenient tri-fork, painted red and gaudily adorned with feathers, rabbit fur, beads, and oh, did I mention the strike-anywhere matches discreetly taped to each of the prongs? The patter was adapted from Native American lore, with a bit of Prometheus thrown in. From a distance of 15 feet, the rapid scrape of the match head against a bit of sandpaper (taped to a rock in the fire lay) is unnoticeable and magical.

Steel wool and a lantern battery works good. You need to make sure ou have a good "birdsnest" and kindling on top of the steel wool though. When it is time to light the fire , throw the ashes from the last campfire into the campfire as someone out of site touches the cables to the batteries

At our last pack camp-out, we had nothing particularly "magical" about starting our fire, but it was memorable. I assigned two leaders to be Keepers of the Flame for the evening. The boys gathered around the campfire, but it was not lit. We had the tinder, kindling, and logs laid, but not lit. Then I started with a little speech about how this is going to be YOUR campfire, from the first tiny sparks to the last cold ashes. The boys were intrigued. I gave them all a stick (actually it was a bamboo skewer), they approached the campfire ring, and the Keepers of the Flame lit their stick. They tossed it into the fire one by one. I said something about "As you place add your fire, be thankful for those who have gone before you and be hopeful for those who will follow after you." I used a whole theme of being grateful for Scouts who paved the way for you to be here today, and that you are setting the stage for future Scouts of tomorrow. With a little gentle "encouragement" from the Keepers of the Flame, we had a nice roaring fire in just minutes. It was great for the boys to watch it build from nothing as each of them added their stick.

Having 2 men assigned as Keepers of the Flames kept the boys from fooling with the fire (poking sticks, etc.). They knew they could not reach into the campfire ring - that was the job of the Keepers. It was great!

We had a beautiful flag retirement ceremony at the end of the campfire - that was magical. The next morning, I collected cold ashes into ziploc bags for all the boys. It truly was THEIR campfire, from the first spark to the last cold ash.

I'm having to play with this, too...

I'm setting up a skit for the "science camp" week at the Boy Scout camp... We've got some thoughts... and haven't quite decided what to do.

One idea that has been talked about, but I'm not fully sure is the "brightest" - Sodium (element form) on the top of the fire... add WATER... get fire.

I've also seen Model rocket engines and other pyrotechnics used... it looks cool, but I'm sure my copy of the G2SS has large, bold type warnings against that.... ;)

The car battery and steel works great. Especially if the person who mans the battery is out sight. If you use that method, immediately disconnect the battery from the leads that are on the ground - you want to be able to start your car to get home right? (I know someone who killed their battery on a campout this way)

Another option would be to appear that you are using the old fashioned Flint-n-Steel. Use the fire-starter Hot Spark kit to light a bird's nest of twine that will start the fire. Hide a couple of Fire-Starter sticks/blocks in the lay that the twine touches. This worked for us after it rained all day on the wood.