Song ideas needed for video

We're putting together a 12 minute slideshow/video for the B&G that will feature pictures of our departing webelos, beginning with when they were tigers and progressing through wolf, bear and webelos. We need 3 or 4 songs for the video as background music, but are struggling to come up with songs that talk about boys growing up. We think we'll use Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World." The only song we could come up with that talks about a boy growing up was "Cats in the Cradle," but in that song the dad and son never find time for each other, and that's not really the message we're trying to send! Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

We did a Webelos crossing video every year too. Background song was Barry Manilow "I am your child." Perhaps a bit mushy, but usually not a dry eye in the house. Also made a CD with slide show and song for the parents of Webelos.

I am your child

wherever you go, you take me too

whatever I know, I learned from you

whatever I do, you taught me do

I am your child

and so on...

dede,

Greetings!

There are plenty of songs out there to make a neat video to...

A couple of good songs I would recommend.

1) "Oh My Child" by Vaihi.

http://www.blackpearldesigns.net/vaihi-vaihi-my-child.html

2) Lucy and Linus (aka Charlie Brown Theme) by Vince Guaraldi Composer/Pianist.

During a Troop Court of Honor many years ago, I have seen a video on VHS tape (which was made by the United Way). The video used Cat Stevens "Cats in the Cradle", and similar to the "Got Milk?" add, this video only had white words on a black background. The bottom line to that video, was that it asked, "if you had enough time for your children" Then at the end of the two minute song it listed youth and family programs (one being the BSA) that the United Way supports. Another tear jerker, but it could encourage more fathers and families to participate in the Boy Scout Troop program as well.

Good Luck!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21_Adv

Adding music to a power point presentation is a great idea. Be careful that the music doesn't take away from the presentation.

How about using some TV themes?

The Addams Family?

The Greatest American Hero?

Dallas?

Miami Vice?

Hawaii Five O?

Taxi?

Mission Impossible?

You can find them all on TV Guide: 50 All-Time Favorite TV Themes ($13.99 from Amazon.com)

I also like a lot of Rod Stewart's stuff.

Amazon also has has some nice free down-loadable stuff.

Eamonn.

Thanks everyone...there are some great ideas to work with here. All sorts of things popped into my head when I thought about some of the songs you suggested, and I have most of those songs in my music library (as embarassing as it is to admit I still have the vinyl for Barry Manilow and Bobby Goldsboro). Keep the ideas coming! Thanks again.

The only song I can think of right now is "Friends are Friends Forever" by Micheal W Smith. Here is the chorus:

Friends are friends forever if the Lord's the Lord of them,

And a friend will not say never, if the welcome does not end.

Though it's hard to let you go, in the Father's hands we know,

That a lifetimes not to long to live as friends.

I know I have more, but I can not find my songbook right this minute. I will look tomorrow and see if I can not find it.

Paul Anka? Barry Manilow? Come on guys, we're talking about 5th graders, not our 25th wedding anniverary. Personally, I would go for an upbeat song, but it's your call.

Green Day - Good Riddance (Time of your life)

VITAMIN C - Graduation (Friends Forever)

Sheryl Crow - Soak up the Sun

Kelly Clarkson - A Moment Like This

Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband - Dream Big

And for some that are at least within their parent's generation -

Rod Stewart - Forever Young

Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes - Time of Our Lives (From Dirty Dancing)

REO Speedwagon - Time for me to Fly

Journey - Don't Stop Believin'

Steppenwolf - Born to be Wild !!!

If Christian music works for you, then

Michael W. Smith - Friends are Friends Forever

Several songs by Switchfoot

Or, you can go the patriotic route. Our kids loved Lee Greenwood's Proud to be an American. We used that for their B&G Slideshow.