Blue & Gold Ceremony Question

As I stated in my previous post about Blue & Gold crossover gifts, we have 6 boys bridging to Boy Scouts...but 2 of them will probably not receive Arrow of Light. We've never had this happen before. Any ideas on how to handle this during Blue & Gold Ceremonies?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the boys who will not receive the Arrow of Light 11 years old yet? If they're not 11 years old, they do not meet the age requirements of Boy Scouts, can not crossover, and can not joing Boy Scouts--until they get the Arrow of light or age out or finish fifth grade. If you're their den leader, you'll have to continue to lead them until they meet the Boy Scout age requirements.

If they are 11 then they can crossover. There are lots of bridging ceremonies that combine receiving the Arrow of Light and Crossover. Google for those, have the boys participate in the ceremony and just don't give them the award.

I second the question about the ages of the boys who have not yet earned the AOL. Is there some reason that they do not want to earn the award? Why wouldn't they take advantage of the 5 months remaining until they finish 5th grade to try to complete the requirements for AOL?

My experience in our pack is that boys who do not get their AOL by February do not cross over then and, instead, stay with the pack until the end of the school year. Can't say for sure how many of them have still gone on to earn the AOL at that point. It has been my impression that the few boys who did not earn the AOL generally did not continue on to Boy Scouts anyway.

If the boys who have not gotten the AOL meet the age requirements and want to cross over the Boy Scouts right then, I like Prairie_Scouter's idea.

We had this happen last year and just separated the cross-over from the AoL ceremonies. However, our pack has not had a W II program after February so *if* any of the boys who hadn't completed their AoL and weren't 11 years old had wanted to stay in the pack then they would've had to join the W I den . Telling the W II den leaders that they "have to" stay on with these boys would not have worked well at all in our case. One of our WII den leaders moved on to boy scouts with his son. The other den leader's son quit scouts to do sports, and his dad would almost certainly have refused to stay on without his son's involvement.

As long as everyone knows what to expect ahead of time, this can all be handled with minimal difficulty and no hurt feelings.

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!

Even though we dont know the age of the two boys who wont earn their AOL, it appears the consensus opinion is to have two ceremonies... Or in other words, if the boys are 10, lets have two ceremonies neither of which they can participate in.

Not that I have a problem with that. I've always been one to believe you have to earn the award to participate in the ceremony, but I got the impression Jill was looking for creative ideas to avoid excluding the boys.

Simple solution if they're 11, they can participate in crossover.

It's a little more complicated if they're 10 and want to be part of their banquet. Maybe they can be part of the opening and closing ceremonies, a skit, or something. At least they're involved even though they won't advance. Our pack doesn't try to get every boy involved in every skit, stunt, and ceremony at pack meetings, but we do put together meeting plans that allow each boy to get on center stage at least once and ham it up and show off.(This message has been edited by MarkS)

Mark, that's a good point. This is where "non-traditional" awards can come into play too. We usually used these as a way to thank and recognize adult volunteers but they can be adapted and used for the boys too. Things like the "top banana" award for a kid who can be counted on to try and do anything, no matter how goofy it might be, or the "big heart" (large heart-shaped wood or paper ornament, painted/decorated - you can get these at Michael's and other craft places) award for the kid who is always helping other people. These can be as silly, or serious, as you want them to be.

In the context of a B&G and for kids not advancing, I'd make sure they were something fairly meaningful. The DL has known these boys for some time and should be able to come up with some thoughtful recognitions along these lines. I think I'd also make sure that the boys who were not advancing were not the only boys to get an award of this type - so as not to single them out and make it seem like these are consolation prizes or something.

As for the awards themselves - they can be made for little money from simple craft supplies.

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!

First of all, I certainly appreciate everyone's feedback.

I looked into it a little further yesterday after reading your comments. One of the boys is already 11, so that solves that problem. The other one won't be 10 until May. We're trying to push him to finish his Arrow of Light before our Blue & Gold. Both boys have been active in scouts for several years but seem to be there more for the fun & not to earn anything. Part of this blame is on the parents & part on the den leader. This particular den leader is a really nice guy but has never been a go-getter. As a parent of one of these Webelos 2, I have been working with my own son at home to supplement what he earned in his den. The parent's of these 2 boys who have not achieved Arrow of Light have not worked with their boys outside of the den. Also, these 2 boys didn't attend the camps as Webelos so they missed out on a lot there.

I definitely believe that those earning AOL should receive special recognition. My big concern at this point has become that everyone at least be able to cross over.

Ms JillKB,

The younger boy: DON'T RUSH HIM!!!! He cannot bridge unless he's 10 1/2 and completed 5th grade anyway. HELP HIM EARN THE AOL AT HIS OWN PACE!!!

Scouting is a journey and a grand game, not a sprint or dash. Use the time for the young man's growth and development.

No panic JillKB, but the point that John-in-KC is trying to make is that Webelos #2 will NOT BE ABLE to cross over to Boy Scouts in February, even if he earns his AOL. He can NOT join a Boy Scout Troop until he reaches 10 years old & you say that will not happen until MAY.

From the Boy Scout Application :

"Your son can be a Scout if he is 11 years old (or has earned the Arrow of Light Award and is at least 10 years old, or has completed the fifth grade and is at least 10 years old), but has not reached age 18."

If a Webelos has his 10th birthday in May, then the ONLY time he is eligible to cross to a Boy Scout Troop would be after his birthday. If he has earned the AOL he can immediately cross over. If he has NOT earned his AOL, then he must wait until he has completed 5th grade.

Based on the context of this discussion, I suspect that "The other one won't be 10 until May" is a typo and Jill meant to say the boy won't be 11 until May.

A boy turning 10 in May would almost assuredly be a fourth grader and 1st year Webelos. Or one very bright boy!(This message has been edited by MarkS)