I am a 2nd year den leader. Last year I was with wolf, and this year is bear. I have completed Fast track, leader basic, and leader specific training. This fall I plan to attend the morning sesion of Pow Wow, but due to a wedding (not mine) I will have to miss the afternoon secion. What is the differance of Leader Specific when it comes to Bear -vs- Wolf? Could I pick up training at another Council if it has a date that I do not have schedule conflics with?

In my Council, Changing positions only requires a 1/2 hour "update" to retain your training status. I think, but cannot confirm that this is SOP elsewhere, as well.

Though, Jerry is right that Wolf DL to Bear DL is not considered a position change, I encourage our (now Bear) DLs to sit down with me (Pack Trainer) and/or last year's Bear DLs to talk about the differences and subtle changes between second graders and third graders, the somewhat minor changes in the Advancement process and the types of activities to plan.

Also, Briantshore, I didn't see any mention of YPT. IMHO, That's the most important of the basic 4.

jd

Pow Wow is not training itself. Pow wow is like a big version of roundtable, sometimes with specific themes and ideas, and sometimes a variety of things, that may include training. It is billed as the BE-ALL-END-ALL for training, but it's mostly for ideas (like roundtable).

Now would be the time to start looking at Webelos leader training and Webelos leader outdoor training. If you can have them done by next Spring, you'll be ready to go for Summer Camp and the Fall.

Also, you must check with your Council if training outside of your Council will be recognized. BALOO, as an example, must be completed within your Council. If you transfer to another Council, for whatever reason, you would have to retake it.

Side bar: Youth protection is not a part of basic trainig. It comes under Supplemental training. For a Wolf or Bear Den Leader to eran the Basic Training recognition they need to complete New Leader Essentials and Den Leader Specific training. While I agree they should certainly complete YP neither it nor Fast Start are a requirement for completing Basic Training.

Please return now to the regularly scheduled discussion.

When I attended BALOO training there was a fellow there from another council. My council made sure to give him the paperwork showing he had taken the course & he was good to go. I believe they also mailed something to his home council. BALOO is a National syllabus & should be the same all over.

Don't forget that you have completed all the requirements for Wood Badge. That training will help you not only with your Den but also with aspects of your "civilian" life. :)

It's a great experience and I hope you will consider it.