Summer break is over -- Back To Scouting!

I am looking for suggestions for a kick off/roundup to hold shortly after school starts, something like Back to School, maybe "Back to Scouting". Any suggestions on activities, maybe a couple of belt loop stations, a sign up table, snacks,

All suggestions welcome!

Kristi

This year's recruitment theme is "Race to Scouting". Why not use that.

Have a Cardboard Derby race. Either a relay type or one-on-one. You can supply the boxes & the materials & the kids & their parents make their cars.

Yes! Back to Scouting! I love this stuff!!

I am assuming that these activities that you are looking for are geared toward returning scouts vs. an effort to recruit new scouts? About the third week of September, we schedule a Family Camp. This not only allows current scouting familes to experience a little bit different program than the weekly one they are used to but allows new scouts the opportuntity to get to know many of those in the Pack in a laid back atmosphere. We usually have about a 50% attendance at this. As I would always like more, I am thinking of having a Family Picnic this year, to draw those who may be leery of camping. I would lean away a bit from the "structured" scouting requirement activities and opt for more of an open game time. They will get plenty of opportuntity to work on reqirements, belt loops, etc throughout the year. It will help remind them of how fun scouting is, especially if they didn't attend any of the Summer activities.

Although, keeping with the "Race In Scouting" theme, you may want to think about dragging your Derby track out, if your Pack has one, and have the boys bring their old cars. No real organized competition but just fun race time. This may be more of a hassle depending on how long it takes to put it up! :)

Jerry

Consider integrating your Pack Program and recruiting efforts together.

Your first Pack meeting can be one to get the Pack organized, appoint Den Leaders and start some contests to encourage the Scouts to bring their brothers and friends into Cub Scouting.

You can make up business cards with the name of the Scout on one side, and the date, time and location of your Scout night on the other. Each Scout gets three or four of these with his name on it. Any card returned at the Scout night by a new boys earns them a prize or award.

At your Scout night, sign the boys up and invite them to a Pack meeeting scheduled the next week. At the Pack Meeting, get the new Scouts into their Den and have a hike or Pack overnight planned so that new Scouts have the promise of Scouting to go hiking and camping redeemed.

Use the hike or overnight as a key marketing theme to attract new boys and keep them in the Pack.

Seattle Pioneer

A couple of ideas we do:

First is Fire Up for Scouting. Set up a table and display in front of the local fire station. Send out flyers to the local schools and churches. Have the station park a fire truck out in front and let the boys crawl over it while the parents sign up. Boys (and girls) and fire trucks, gotta love it.

Second we do an ice cream social right after the school year starts. We send out a flyer and give each boy invitations to hand out to at least two of their friends. The pack supplies the ice cream and we ask each family to bring a topping to share. We do it around 6:00 PM at a local park. A little ice cream and then some relay races for the kids while parents are signing up.

This year we are also going to try another potluck picnic. Had one in June which was a success and will do the same in August. We set up a barbecue pit. Pack supplies the coals and a hot grill, paper goods, condiments, and a drink cooler of punch. Each family brings something for the grill and a side to share. Games, tug-o-war and more games. Parents sign up.

CMM