Outdoor Activity Award

Being new here, I don't know if this question has been asked before (and sorry if it has been), but, do any of you have any experience with this new award/patch/pin? I have all of the information about it, just wondering if anyone has earned it yet.

No one can as of yet, unless their council offers a Day or Resident camp during the school year. The one requirement that is for all ranks is to attend Cub Scout day camp or Cub Scout/Webelos Scout resident camp anytime after September 1, 2004. Camps attended last summer did not count toward the award.

ScoutNut is spot on here.

We are doing what we can to help our Cubs earn it for 2005. As a Pack we have identified about 4 camping opportunities (some Day, some Resident) so boys can attend as a Pack.

We have also structured at least 2 Pack events per summer month so boys can earn the Summertime Pack award (an 'elective' toward the award).

There is more information available here:

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-228/

With the September 1 2004 date that means current WEBELOS II can not earn this award. They generally crossover to boy scouts before summer and will have no time to get that camp requirement in. If I'm wrong somebody please let me know! It would be GREAT if my WEBELOS II boys could get that award because they have completed all other requirements.

Angela

While we're at it, does anyone have an opinion on the timing of the award? If we have graduating Wolves who have completed all the Wolf requirements except camp, do they get the award after camp? Or do they need to satisfy the Bear requirements, as they become Bears at the start of the summer? For that rate, can the boys apply what they've done as Wolves, or do they need to fulfill the requirements while they are Bears?

It sure appears that the award is intended to be for 2005 and beyond.

Unless your Council has a fall or winter day/resident camp, your Webelos IIs would not be eligible as far as everything reads.

Since crossover is generally before camp, it seems your Wolves would need to do the Bear requirements.

Our Bears will be working toward it as Webelos Is.

Ponder this!

What if council has a Cub-o-Ree, or Spook-o-Ree, in th espring or fall. It is open to all Cubs and is held on Saturday. The activities at these events are the same as the activities at the camp during the summer.

My question is this, could this be considered a Day Camp?

I know I should have spun off but sorry!!!!

CMF

Fred

What exactly is the lesson?

"Look how we can twist the rules to get more badges!"

Day Camp or Resident Camp is not the same thing as a one day cub outing.

I think part of the reason for the award is to get more kids to attend the BSA camps.

I get rather frustrated as it seems many people are seeking ways to bend the rules (if not outright break them) in an organization that is supposed to be teaching boys to follow rules and be morally straight. Part of growing up is learning that we don't always get what we want. It also is learning that it is better to follow the rules and know in our hearts we did the right thing than to manipulate the system so we can unjustly wear a badge that others earned correctly. That demeans the boys that did the right thing and teaches nothing good to the boys that are being 'accommodated'.

The award pretty explicitly states it is for Day Camp or Resident Camp, which are fairly specific types of events. Either the 5-day Day Camp, or the 4-day Resident Camp, in our Council. Webelos II's would definitely not be eligible (in fact, many are crossing over to Boy Scouts even as we post on the forum). We have a Cub-Adult Overnighter during the summer, but that's not going to count. The intent of the award is clearly to get more people to go to summer camp. All of the other requirements are things you'd probably be doing anyway.

I do find it surprising that National announced the award so many months before anyone would be eligible to earn it. I guess you might argue that Wolves, who have worked on the requirements, would want to finish it up by going to Day Camp. But I'm going to treat it the way Torveaux suggests, and say that people can start working on this award once they cross over to the next rank.

Oak Tree

Oak Tree,

I understand that some councils have council day/resident camps outside the 'normal' summer period. This may be in areas with many year-around schools or weather conditions that make summer camping by Cubs a bit difficult. (Florida?)

I don't know if there is a list of them somewhere, but I suppose campers from outside the council would be welcome if there is room.

We share a summer camp with the Milwaukee County Council. (It is actually must closer to us than to them, but it is their camp.) They offer overnighters for Cubs and for Webelos, 4-day/3 night, 3 day daycamp, and 1 day daycamp. With the variety of dates available, you almost need to try for an excuse not to go. We also have a Council specific Camporee that is 4 days and 3 nights at our Boy Scout camp. It is for Tigers through Venturers (and families).

I suppose I should spin this part off, but does anyone know where you where the Summertime Pin if you have the Outdoor Activity Award? The Summertime award is one optional piece of the OAA, so it will likely be common that boys who have the OAA would also have the SPA. (gotta love acronyms, right?) :)

Torveaux,

Ok, I'll grant you that there could be Day Camp during the winter in Florida. Still, I'd think that the award, clearly designed to promote summer camp, could have picked a better time than September 1st to come into effect. But such is life. It seems like so many changes that National introduces just seem to be randomly spaced out with no coordination. For example, I scanned the Insignia Guide for 2005 (not real thoroughly, admittedly) and I didn't see the Outdoor Activity Award there, which is where I'd look for the answer to your other question. I asked that very question at Pow Wow, but they didn't know. So I'm saying, follow the instructions that we have, and wear the Summertime Award on top of the Outdoor Activity Award. They both go on the right pocket flap.

Oak Tree

We received a color flyer on this award along with our 75th Anniversary materials and round up info last August. At that time, the requirements did not include the "clarification" that day or resident camp attendance needed to occur after Sept. 1. As a matter of fact, our council is still distributing that same sheet without the amended requirements.

As we gave that version of the requirements to our Scouts last fall, we are honoring it and have given the award to several boys who have earned it. Frankly, I don't think attending camp this summer or last is that big of a deal. For the most part the same boys to to summer camp every year. But if you need some justification for it, a Scout who starts the requirements for a given award is generally allowed to complete the award under the original requirments, even if the requirements are changed.

Day camp could be a one day event. There is no time requirement as to what constitutes a camp. In my opinion, if your council or district does not have a week-long camp in the summer, a one-day event may suffice.

2CD writes:a Scout who starts the requirements for a given award is generally allowed to complete the award under the original requirments, even if the requirements are changed.That's true, but please explain to me honestly how a Cub went to day camp last summer to fulfill the requirement for this award, when the requirements for the award weren't even released and available to work on until after last summers camps were completed!?

Fred Goodwin

Alamo Area Council