I sure do miss it!

Though my Cub Scout involvement came to an end almost a month ago, I must be going through withdrawal! I miss it. My sons and husband are actively involved in a troop, and I'm a committee member there, but my heart is with Cub Scouting still. There's little need for me in the troop, which I think is a good thing, for there are many active adults and even more active youth. I'm surprised at how much I miss the boys and the program planning. Watching a show with our daughter, I saw some very simply, inexpensive, but fun crafts and models that could be adapted for Cub use. I get questions still from the new leadership of the pack, and I love helping in seeking out ideas, solutions, whatever. For reasons best not to go into here, that particular unit is one that I do not have a future with except behind the scenes--way behind the scenes. Today I ran into a boy who is a Wolf, and he made a point of talking with me, talking to my daughter (he knew her name which totally blew me away), and asked about my son who recently bridged. He seemed to want to keep talking, but I had to go. Truth be told, I'd have liked to keep talking with him too. I was the CA and then CM, but the pack was small enough that I got to know every family. What surprised me is that this boy was very shy, didn't talk much, and yet today he sure did talk. I hope in some way I was a positive influence on him as well as the others. I wish I didn't miss Cubs so much too. My life is chaotic, it's just that busy, yet there's a special place in my heart for Cubs--specific ones and the program as a whole. It was not fun, not all the time, but it sure was worth the time.(This message has been edited by Laurie)

Hold your horses, there, Laurie!

Where are you going so fast? Who says you need to leave Cub Scouting just because your sons have bridged over.

I can think of several places in Cub Scouting where your desires and skills can come in very handy that will also keep you close with packs and pack leaders (and the occaisional contact with boys.)

Volunteer to be the Cub Scout Roundtble Commissioner or on the Cub Roundtable Staff. Perhaps you could lead the den leader break out session each month . . . there IS supposed to be one of those.

If your council or district conducts a day camp, offer to be the volunteer director or program director for it.

If nothing else, I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that your district could use a unit commissioner who's expertise and love is in Cub Scout program . . .

Have a chat with your DE. Offer to take him/her out for coffee, lunch, breakfast, or evening breakfast (non-uniform of course) to see where you can help. If you're uncomfortable doing that with the DE, approach the District Chairman or Commissioner.

If, when stuck with a pin, you bleed blue and gold with diamonds and animal shapes -- you're probably a Cub Scout person. Cub Scout people (who represent 2/3rds of BSA membership) are of high value.

Unc.

Laurie,

I enjoy the program and the projects, simple, developmentally correct, and fun. I know what I experienced as a Scout and I remember how it helped me to learn and to grow. I was able share with Scouts as an adult and many times while teaching, I experience the satisfaction of it again. I keep returning.

I hope your search leads to your joy.

FB

Laurie,

why not look around a bit talk to the Pack, the District even the Council...dolars to donuts, if the old Pack truly doesn't need you there is another pack out there that will trade two cranky cubs and a first round draft pick for a dedicated Cubber...

Both of my boys have been out of Cubs for 5 and 7 years now and a few nights ago, I was up there on stage as we crossed another group of Webelos to the Troop...I had the distinct pleasure of wearing two hats because the Troops SM had a last minute work 'issue' and was not going to make the pack meeting...I got to do my Assistant Cub Master stuff and then finish up by welcoming the new BOY SCOUTS into MY troop...don't cha love it!

If you love Cub Scouting - Don't Stop! FIND A WAY TO STAY ACTIVE. It keeps you young!

Thanks for the encouragement to stay involved. I am surprised at how much I miss Cubs. I knew I would, but due to some not-so-pleasant circumstances, I should be relieved to be done. Most people in the district move on from Cubs once their sons bridge. Then they stay with Boy Scouts for what seems like forever :) There seems to always be a shortage of Cub Scout leaders in any capacity due to turnover and bridging, so I had hoped that I could help in some way with that issue, but it's not to be. It was asked who told me I had to move on. The DE did, though he's now the former DE, so maybe this will change. Anyway, I posted here because I figured fellow Scouters would understand that my heart is with Cubs even when I no longer am.

anarchist, what a fun time that must have been for you! As for feeling young, no worries there--I've an active 3-year-old at home, and so long as I can keep up with her, I remain impressed with my ability to get around at my old age (and according to my sons, at 40-something, I am wayyyy old!)

While the details of why you stood down and how you were treated are yours, and I don't think this is yet the time or the place to go into them. I was overjoyed to see you back!!

I do have a problem with people trying to do things behind the scenes.

Many years ago my old Scoutmaster was forced to leave Scouting under a very big black cloud. He was an outstanding leader who ran an outstanding troop. He was dumb enough to break the rules and that was the end of him. I really loved this man and really did hero worship him.

When I took over the troop, I would meet him after the meeting in the local pub. At first I looked to him for his help and advise, over time I started to see that he was running the Troop from a bar stool. In time I became my own leader and didn't follow his every word. Once that started we began to drift apart. He began to resent that I wasn't following his advise and I began to resent the fact that he was still trying to be the leader. Over time I developed my own "Leadership Team" most know my old SM, but had never had anything to do with him. It took a little while for the Troop to become the powerhouse that it once was and I am thankful to him not only for the things that he did right when he was SM, but also for the things that he done wrong I learned a lot from both.

Sad to say our friendship did suffer and today we just exchange cards at Christmas.

Laurie, you know what I have said about going out there and holding your head high. If not in the District that you are in maybe the District next door is looking for someone with your many talents. I know that the District that I'm in would welcome you with open arms and you could expect a big hug from me.

Go ahead let your little light shine, be the beacon on the hill. Leave the Turkeys down in the dirt and fly with the Eagles. I know you can dazzle them with your commitment and love of Cub Scouting.

Still you will do what you think is best and I'm glad to see you back.

Your Pal

Eamonn.

Eamonn, thank you. I have no desire to work from behind the scenes though my "way back behind the scenes" could look that way. At this point, I'm just tying up loose ends, but along with the new CM and the CR together.

What I hope for is that the change in DE will lead to a change in thinking and that those who would like to stay in Cubs can do so, even after their youngest sons bridge. And Unc, I happen to be friends with the new DC (another change in the district), but I haven't told him that I miss Cubs. Maybe I should? Right now I'm putting together a CD for him of many items I had drafted over the past two years to help out the pack. He is interested in them, so it's nice to know that work done can continue to be helpful.

"Both of my boys have been out of Cubs for 5 and 7 years now"

Hey - Anarchist, BTDT! My guy has been out 5 yrs too!

Laurie - If you truly want to stay with Cubs, go for it! That is what I did. I saw a need in our Pack's Tiger program and became the permanent Tiger Den Leader. I love watching those little guys discover Scouting. It is also fun watching the parents become "Cubbers" and finding the ones who, so obviously, belong as Wolf Leaders!

You could also talk to your District Training Chair and get involved in Cub training & running of District Cub events. With all of your ideas you would be great in training!

And keep in mind, even if you decide to slow down a bit with BSA, in 2-3 years you can start all over again with GSUSA! LOL!!!