Two questions regarding Cub Scout hats

1) Is the hat a required part of the uniform (specifically for a scout in Bears)?

2) Does a scout (again a Bear) have to remove his hat when a) performing a flag ceremony and, b) when saluting the flag and saying the Pledge of Allegiance (both indoors)?

Answers would be great but answers with official references would be preferred.

Thanks.

It depends on how complete you want the uniform to be. The hat is an official part of the uniform, but I don't view it as essential. No one in our pack has the hats. In fact, I don't know of anyone who has the pants. Since it is affiliated with a Catholic School and the school uniform pants are blue, no one feels the need to go get another pair of blue pants.

As for wearing it during flag ceremonies, the answer is in the Bobcat section of any rank book. You do not have to remove the hat during ceremonies, inside or out. Now, if you are teaching that hats are not to be worn indoors, that's a different matter.

The hat is part of the Cub Scout uniform. In my opinion, for a Cub Scout to be in full uniform, he needs to wear the correct hat. (Note that using the word "required" here will get you into a semantic debate which will run 50 or 60 post.)

As to the second part of the question, it is proper for a Scout to keep his hat on in all those situations. Scouts need to understand that there is a difference in wearing a hat as part of a uniform and just wearing any old hat.

In response to question #2, here is a reference (an excellent resource which I highly recommend and refer to often) in response. From the book Your Flag, Everything You Want to Know About the Flag of the United States of America by the Boy Scouts of America...

Page 33:

Saluting

When in uniform, with your head covered or uncovered, either indoors or outdoors, stand at attention and salute with your right hand when

*The national anthem is played.

*The colors are raised or lowered.

*Reciting of the Pledge of Allegiance.

* The flag pases by in a parade or review.

*A flag-draped coffin is passing.

*"Taps" is sounded at a funeral.

When not in uniform, stand at attention and place your right hand over your heart. A man wearing a hat should remove his hat with his right hand and hold it at his left shoulder, with his hand over his heart.

In athletic costume, remove hat or helmet and stand at attention. Hold hat or helmet in right hand."

Page 45:

Carrying the Colors Into Buildings

Color guards, if wearing hats or caps, do not remove them when carrying the colors until they are seated, even if the building is a house of worship.

In response to your first question (I'm backwards :)) ...

In the Bear Handbook, page 20 in the old book & page 23 in the new book, the cap is mentioned as one of the parts of the uniform. In the Cub Scout Leader Handbook, page 12-2, the cap is listed as part of the uniform. On the uniform inspection sheet, which you can view on-line at http://scoutstuff.org/ under uniforms, the cap is listed as part of the uniform. It is not listed as optional in any of these resources. I hope this helps.

Welcome to the forums!

The BSA book on flag ettiquette is excellent and is used by other organizations as well.

The basis of the book, and the part about saluting with a hat on when in uniform is found in the United States Flag Code . . . which until recently I had never read.

The code also says who may order flags at half staff and on which days it should be done.

DS

Ah, the old hat question!

A hat is a part of the the uniform for the Cub Scout and Boy Scout program (Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelos and all Boy Scout ranks). The Cub Scout program has specific hats for each rank. The Boy Scout program allows Troops to select their headgear style; visored cap (baseball) or campaign style. While headgear is not an optional part of the uniform, a uniform is not required for Scouts.

As stated previously, a uniform may be worn during a flag ceremony - indoors, outdoors, in church, etc. The proper placement for uniform headgear is - you guessed it, one's head. When not in uniform, it is customary to remove one's hat, especially for males, in church or during a flag ceremony.

Insignia Guide 2002-2003, Special Regulations, Headgear (page 3):

Official headgear may be worn while the unit or individual is participating in an indoor formal ceremony or service duty, except in religious institutions where custom forbids. Typical indoor activities of this type are flag ceremonies, inspections, orderly duty, or ushering service. In any informal indoor activity where no official ceremony is involved, the headgear is removed as when in street clothes."

Personally, I think the rule of ettiquette that says a gentleman must doff his hat when he enters a building is out of date and should be retired -- come to think of it, the word "doff" should probably go with it. What is the purpose of removing one's hat? Courtesy? Respect? I agree that for the Pledge of Allegience or a prayer, removing one's hat shows deference and/or respect to the flag or the Almighty. But to whom are we showing respect when we enter a building?

The best reason for keeping your hat on is practical. What do you do with it when you take it off? If we required all our Cub Scouts to take their hats off and keep track of them for the duration of a pack meeting, I guarantee we would have a 20% loss rate at every meeting. Back in the day, every building and home had a hat rack inside the door. How many of you have sufficient spaces for every boy to hang their hat in your meeting space?

If you got 'em, wear 'em.

"Personally, I think the rule of ettiquette that says a gentleman must doff his hat when he enters a building is out of date and should be retired -- come to think of it, the word "doff" should probably go with it"

Why do you take your hat off indoors? One reason is so that you don't obstruct the view of others. Another is so that others don't have to dodge the brim of your hat in close quarters.

What do you do with your hat when you take it off? You hang it up or give it to the hat check person. If you are wearing a cap, you can fold it an tuck into a pocket.

Big hats no one can see around, a hat-check person by the door (I always get them confused with the cigarette girl). FOG, you're living in a Bogart movie!

Current caps don't fold to fit in a pocket, although the old field cap and barets tucked nicely under the belt. I've also been told to tuck the bill of the hat in the back of your pants, but I find it uncomfortable to sit like that and it squashes the hat.

And if the bill of my hat is in your way, you're too dang close!