Are Gas Lanterns OK for Cub Scout Campouts?

Just curious, are gas lanterns OK for Cub Scout campouts as long as they are handled by an adult? I could swear I read somewhere that they were not. Perhaps I read that the Cubs can't handle it, but I'm not sure. Flashlights are great for somethings, but not for putting up a tent in the dark. Been there, done that! I know they make the battery lanterns, but I don't want to buy both kinds.....one for Cub campouts and another for personal campouts unless I have to.

sctmom,

I wasn't poking fun at you. I agree. It is the same people who don't know that you are not supposed to use a blowdryer in the tub. Hence, all the "stupid" sounding common sense warning tags on everything we buy.

kwc, that's fine, I didn't think you were. I was very reliefed to see you knew why.

Yep, I like the don't use the hair dryer in the bathtub or while sleeping tags.

Also, some people don't know that the flashlight in the tent throws shadows and everyone else gets a silleohoute of you changing clothes. AND tents are NOT sound proof.

sctmom,

Hey, maybe the Scout Shop can start selling the Bill Engvall "here's your sign" signs to clueless campers. I very well know that tents are not sound proof. We had a one nighter a few weeks ago and had snorers all around us. Also, the kid in the tent next to us had a couple of cans of beenie weenies that night and kept "sounding off" late into the night. This campout did not have designated campgrounds per pack, all campers were in on huge open area. As far as the flashlight and silleohoutes, maybe I need to stay up later and wait for the show! :)

While National allows the use of liquid fuels, some councils - mine included - prohibit them. Check with your council camping chair to see what the policy is. Propane with younger kids is safer.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10