Finally have this figured out (I think)

At least I have the next 2 months figured out.

In November, my brother is going to come in and teach the boys how to tie knots. He has already taught my son how to do most of them. He spent 18 years in the Navy and taught himself a lot.

In December, we are going to work on the "Chips and Shavings". Unless I can find something other than Ivory for them to carve with, my husband will have to handle those months as the Ivory sets me off to sneazing something awful.

Katrina

For carving, you may want to try making blocks of plaster of paris. I think you mix vermiculite (like for potting plants) with it. Also, have heard of soaking the plaster pieces in water before carving so they are a little softer.

A hint about knot tying that I recently learned and seems to work well. Buy cotton rope and some RIT dye in blue & red. Cut the cotton rope in pieces about 2 feet long. Dye one end red and one end blue one each piece of rope. Then when explaining the knots instead of saying "right hand" you say "the red end". The boys only have to remember right and left when the first pick up the rope; make sure everyone has the red end in the same hand.

I've carry my rope pieces to every den meeting and campouts. We are slowly learning the knots. They seem to remember the square knot at this point. Now we are working on two half hitches.

May have to try dying the ends. But my brother has a story to go with most of the knots. He said that when he was in the Navy it was the only way to teach most of them the knots. They (full grown men) couldn't remember most of them so he came up with ways for them to. He is going to write the stories down for me before our meeting and I am going to type them up for the boys to look at and keep. He is even going to supply the rope for each boy.

My son is also going to help the other boys as they need it. Since his uncle taught him the last of the knots last night and he seems to practice all the time.

Katrina

The stories sound like a great idea. Could I get a copy via email? Sure would appreciate it.

The practicing a lot is important. I let the boys my den each have a piece of the practice rope in case they wanted to practice at home. Also, the boys teaching each other works well -- the learn about teaching and about knots and about listening to each other.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

If you die the ends of the rope, DO NOT make sure that the boys all have the color of rope in the same hand (i.e. red in left, blue in right).

I am a left handed SM and Webelos Den Leader (no snide comments please). I don't make knots the same way as right handed people. I would suggest that the boys put the red end in their dominant hand, the blue in the other. Then instruct the boys.

I can tie the knots very well, thank you very much, but when I instruct the boys I try to get them to visualize the knots and don't use left or right references. If you have a den of 100% righties (my condolences) you can ignore this post.

Acco40, my son's friend is left handed but he can tie the knots the same as a rightie. I forget the whole leftie/rightie issue because even though I am right handed, I can do most everything by write with my left hand. Right handers hate me too because I don't see what the problem is with their left hand.

The son's friend, the leftie, was pointed out something very interesting about the square knot. I told him to do the first part of the knot, now take the "opposite" end and put it on top. He said "but it's the same rope, not the opposite". Try it, you will see what he is saying.

The Bear Handbook says to tie the knot and explain its uses. I take it at its literal meaning and don't require the Bears to "learn" how to tie the knot. Do you agree or disagree with my take on this?

PS Don't forget to whip the end of the rope to prevent them from unravelling.

PPS The knot illustrations in the Boy Scout Handbook are far superior to those in the Bear Handbook.

Cubsrgr8, I agree with you. I hope to keep practicing the knots so the bears remember them. I feel pretty excited that my kids have remembered the square knot. I keep my ropes handy so they can play with them when we need a filler for time. Helps them becomes familiar with handling the rope and they learn on their own that a granny knot is hard to untie. They are also helping each other with the square knot.

I didn't read it the same way. I read it from the perspective that the requirements are speaking to the boys and not the leaders. If they are telling th boys what to do, then they are supposed to tie the knot and tell what it is used for.

Does this make sense? Let's go to Achievement 9 (a). It says "Wit an adult, bake cookies." It is telling the Scoutr what to do, so would that not meen that Achievement 22 is telling the Scout to (a) Whip the ends of a rpoe.", "Tie a square knot, bowline, sheet bend, two half hitchesm and a slip knot. Tell how each is used.", etc.

Someone please let me know if I am wrong and I will also research it somewhere else.

Katrina