My son who is 15, soon to be Star and is a Patrol Leader wants to be a grade school teacher (grades 2-4). I was thinking of getting him involved as a Den Chief in a Wolf Pack, just to let him know what to expect. To you Cub Scouters would a Den Chief be useful to you, or get in your way?

I never had a den chief to assist me when I was a Webelos den leader, but I did serve as a den chief as a scout. It was a great experience. It is also a good oppportunity for a boy who may be motivated towards teaching to find out if he likes working with younger kids. Not only will your son provide a valuable service, but he will learn and grow too. He should go for it.

I believe that if you use the Den Cheif, they are useful. But if you look at them like another boy, they will seem to be in your way. Den Cheifs are very useful to each den, but it is up to the Den Leader to make them part of the program. Plus it helps the boys to see someone in Boy Scouts. This will also help with Webelos to Scout transition. This year I will be trying to get a Den Chief for each one of our dens. Good Luck

Tim Dyer

UC

You might find the discussion on this thread useful: http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=10096. However, I would add that being a den chief is at least as much work as being a patrol leader. That's because a den chief does more than crowd control. He works with the den leader to plan and carry out his specific assignments at the den meetings AND he attends pack meetings and other pack activities. It is a significant time commitment. Therefore, he should (IMHO) only do one job at a time.(This message has been edited by CubsRgr8)

• 2 months later...