Summer Activities

Here are the summertime activities that our Pack is planning this year. I would love to hear what other Packs are doing.

Massing of the Colors

Joint activity with the Troop. This is a local custom where the military is honored by vetern groups and scouts.

Bowling

The pack rents out a local bowling alley (real small only 10 lanes) for several hours.

Putt Putt tournament.

Canoe Trip and Campout

Trip to the local Planaterium

Arena Football Game

Triple A Baseball game with Cub Scouts camping out in the infield after the game.

Pack Picnic

Day Camp

Webelos Resident Camp

We try to have two activites per month.

ScouterPaul,

Sounds like a great summer. Your cubs should have lots of fun.

I will caution you on the canoeing for cub scouts however. There are very strict regulations on Cubs canoeing. Please review the Cub Leaders Handbook and the Guide to Safe Scouting.

A trip is almost impossible because Cubs (including Webelos Scouts) are limited to canoeing and rafting at council/district events on flat water ponds or controlled lake areas free of powerboats and sailboats.

In addition they must have passed the Boy Scout swimmer test or have a certified lifeguard in the canoe with them.

Safety First,

Bob

Thanks for you concern Bob. The canoe trip is strictly a family acitvity with at least one parent in the canoe with their child. We've done this event for 3 years and it is one of the summers best events. Council has given their "blessing" on the activity as long as it is a family activity.

Paul

Well, we are planning a day full of wet and/or sloppy events. The boys will compete as dens against each other.

Some of the event planned are:

Wet sponge or water ballon toss

Mudskipper marathon

Den Leader dunk tank

Cheese ball stickem

Taget practice with water ballons

Raw Egg Toss

We are still planning the event. It will be held in August, so getting wet will keep everyone cool.

Mudskipper marathon was my idea. Get a couple of wading pools filled up with mud. Throw some diving rings in the bottom. The boys run down and find 1 ring using only thier feet. then return to let the next boy go. Relay style.

For a fun twist, have the den leaders race as well.

Any other events you would like to know about?

Any new event suggestions?

Tim Dyer

Pack 56

• 2 months later...

Twice a month?? Good grief. I can't even manage once a month during the summer. It does sound like your boys will have fun, but it certainly requires a lot of effort and organization on the leaders. Frankly, I look forward to the break each time that summer arrives. I am a single mom, and with tons of yardwork and working full time - I need a break.

We realize that summer is busy for everyone. It is our hope that by offering two outings each boy would have the opportunity to make at least one.

We distrubuted a flyer during the last week of school inviting anyone interested in Scouts to call one of the leaders and to attend any of our outings. We have signed up 5 new Scouts since the end of the school year!!!