The purpose of Merit Badges

Opinions vary, but I see the purpose of merit badges as an opportunity to experience many skills, and learn about careers in those fields. If a scout, although not proficient in those skills comes out with a real interest in that discipline........WOW. A job well done. At least that is how I see the big picture. Half the time when you as a boy later if they remember the badge they won't remember everything, even if they read the book, but if they still pursue the activity I for one am pleased. Thoughts.......

My understanding of the purpose of merit badges is similar to Yarrow's. It is not about becoming proficient in a skill. It is about being exposed to skills and activities that may lead the scout to a career choice or to a life time hobby. Also the scout gets to interact with an individual who is knowledgeable in that field.

I concur with the above, A merit badge is not intended to teach a skill as much as provide a well rounded introduction to the subject.

Perhaps that's why I feel weird when I see a merit badge counselor who "does" several disperate merit badges or a scout with several merit badges from a single counselor (perhaps a parent) makes me wonder how much of an "expert" they are in these fields. (I know once the blue card is signed, the badge must be given)

Its a huge world out there and the merit badge program is a door to many of very interesting topics and its best done with a true "expert" counsleor and not just an adult who read the book along with the scout.

Although in some areas a true expert maynot be possible

OGE, Being an Expert is not a requirement to be a merit badge counselor, only knowledgable. That can be through education, profession or hobbyist. I am certified in Red Cross Family and Community First Aid. I have the knowledge to be a First Aid Merit Badge Counselor, but I am in no way a medical expert.

Bob White

I agree with all the posts.

Bob,

While one doesn't need to be an expert to be a merit badge counselor, being very proficient at the badges one teaches only benefits the Scout.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Ed

I don't disagree that the more you knowledge you have, the more you can share with the scout. my only point was that merit badge counselors are only required to be knowledgeable, not expert or professional. Yhat is why the MB is not expected to leave a scout with proficiency in the skill or activity area. It is meant to show that they have exposure and knowledge of the area.

Bob

Bob, if you notice in my original post I put the word "expert" in quotes, I was implying that the counselor needs to have more than just a passing knowledge of the subject, more than just reading the MB book, nothing more.

While Sister Mary Elizabeth always told me I needed to work on my reading comprehension, Brother Richards said I should be more clear in my composition. Sorry I wasnt more lucid(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)