Changing summer camps: To do or not to do?

Most of the troops in this council rotate camps every year. All of the camps in Va and NC are within a days' drive, so that means a scout can age out and never go to the same place twice.

In regards to supporting your local camp, we sometimes have more out-of-council-troops than we do in-council. As long as there's a scout in every cot, who cares? And most councils charge a surcharge for OOC troops.

I gotta ask, Philmont, Northern Tier and Sea base are fine, but the Jamboree costs to much? What is your Council charging for the jamboree that makes it cost prohibitive but yet your guys will go to Philmont et al? I do not wish to badger you, but from the surface it sounds down right weird

The troop I serve seems to have been going to the Council Camp since as long as anyone can remember. We have become a fixture at the week we attned with another couple of troops and at this point, its alsmost like a reunion seeing everyone "again". The adults like it so far, we know where everyting is, know most of the staff having seen them grow up the line of responsibility in the Camp. It also didnt hurt/help that the Scout's Executive son was in our troop and the exec would attend camp as an ASM for the Troop. He always said he was there as a volunteer, but gosh the camp spiffed up from MOnday to Friday each year. The older kids come to camp to chill, not that I really like it, but I am glad they are there and are hatching memories for the future. If the spend all day making a fire, and they want to do it, why not?

We rotate (4 camps, thinking about adding a 5th). We do have our Council on our rotation, but we push hard on them after an unfortunate incident from several years ago when we were kicked out of our week (after paying and making plans) because the LDS troops wanted a 100% LDS camp. The Council's Camp staff did not handle this well, and we took our camping elsewhere. We found that the rotation really gets the boys excited, and older Scouts keep coming back for the new places.