Southern Appalachian Summer Camps

Buck Toms is my councils camp, but I have not been since I was a kid to summer camp there. I believe the leaders guide should be coming out next month, if you pm me with you name and address, I will get with our district camping chair and get you a copy and what ever else he can through in.

Thanks Sir Scoutalot. Having been to Skymont last summer, that gives me a pretty good impression of their facilities. I am curious about the program, but as we have settled on Woodruff for this year, we will wait before evaluating next year's program.

(I can't believe I am trying to evaluate programs 18+ months before summer camp season!?!)

For those that asked . . . I haven't been in Scouts long enough to know the camps. From what I can find out, there's enough year-to-year variability to make it uncertain what you'll encounter in any give year or session.

I HAVE encountered Scouts who've acquired MBs from both Sidney Dew and Skymont, but who have a total absence of the required skills. I no longer assume that an MB from either camp is any indication that a Scout actually possesses any of the skills required by the MB. However, I gather that the same problem exists with most Scout camps.

GaHillBilly

Buck Toms is my council's camp. It has ~700 acres on Watts Bar Lake. The weather is 80's - 90's in the days with often 60's at night. Usually, there are late afternoon rains though recent years have seen a severe drought. The lake is a TVA lake and is part of a navigable system from the Mississippi to Knoxville where the confluence of the Holston and French Broad rivers forms the Tennessee river. Nice waterfront on a cove. New campfire amphitheater overlooking the lake. relatively new mess hall. We like to have visiting troops and have several each year.

We also have a primitive camp, Pellissippi, on Norris lake. It is ~300 acres on a gorgeous lake. It does not offer a summer program but is a great place to camp. Good for flat water canoeing. Just below Norris dam is a nice river, the Clinch, for some mild whitewater canoeing. Put in below the dam is ~5 miles from the camp. Take out is at Clinton, Tennessee about 12 miles from camp.

The council website is: http://www.bsa-gsmc.org/

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Oh, I should pitch for Camp Powhatan, Blue Ridge Mtn Council, near Galax, VA. (Hiwassee just doesn't ring too many bells.) My son's going back with his old troop this summer. He better get his watch off the bottom of Claytor Lake.