A change in attitude about summer camp

We are heading off to Camp Old Indian (Blue Ridge Council, SC) this Sunday. Something is different with our Scouts this year. I was filling out the activity sheet for check-in and noticed that the guys have really changed direction on what they pick for merit badges to do. In the past, our Scouts almost always picked Eagle required badges which to me seemed like turning camp into a merit badge factory. I just couldn't understand why the guys chose to sit in a classroom and take, for instance, the Citizenship badges (I really wish camp would discontinue teaching those).

For the past few years I've tried to encourage the Scouts to choose fun and challenging activities. It's been a hard sell for a while, especially with some parents who see advancement opportunities, but this summer is different. While they were picking what to do, I overheard a few older Scouts talking to younger Scouts saying, "oh, you don't want to do that one, we can do that here, why don't you do this one, it's really fun."

They also came up with a few theme days for lunch assembly. One day is Hawaiian day when they will all wear Hawaiian shirts and flower leis. Indiana Jones day is planned complete with a boulder and a golden artifact. The third day is based on Monty Python and one Scout will gallop into assembly riding a stick horse while the others clap coconut halves behind him.

I just love summer camp!

See. I was going to put in the "You know when you are getting old" thread something about recognizing lines from Monty Python and I have found out most youth know the dialogue better than I do. Perhaps that is when you know you are getting old, when the youth know the Monty Python lines better than you do.

Anyway, Gwd, a tip of the hat to you and will the boys be lashing together that sedan chair to provide you with transportation this year?

I was happy to see that there were few classroom badges on our list, and instead the boys are hitting the outdoors ones. The only issue that while we are situated on a lake, few signed up for water sports related badges!

I will admit that I encourage my Scouts to take the Eagle Required outdoors badges at Summer Camp (encouraged several to switch over to Camping MB, for example). My own son will take Camping and Lifesaving this year, getting him another step further along on the Trail to Eagle.

As for Monty Python, we have a Patrol named: The Knights who say Ni!

It's good to hear that the older scouts are leading the less experienced towards the fun. I'd say that bodes well for the future.

Are the theme days camp-wide, or do they just involve your troop. Either way, it sounds like fun. And don't leave out the Ministry of Silly Walks!

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

Theme days are just for our troop. It's just something silly and fun to do. Last year for Saturday breakfast we all came down in goofy pajamas. Admit it was my idea, but it was done in an effort to get these guys to stop taking themselves so seriously. During assembly and just after our SPL gave the troop report all the boys yelled out, "we're too tired" and dropped to the ground. I didn't know they were going to do that and it was great that they came up with the idea on their own. Last year's nudge worked because this year they came up with the themes all on their own.

Horizon - our guys do take some of the Eagle required badges, especially swimming and lifesaving. First Aid is done particularly well at our camp. I was referring to discouraging the more classroom type badges.

Now, where did I put that holy hand grenade...

Always thought this would be a great campfire skit

Father Hello, my son and I would like to buy a tent, please.

Mr Lambert : Certainly sir, I'll get someone to help you

Father: thank you

Lambert: Mr Verity!

Mr Verity : Can I help you, sir?

Father : Yes, we'd like a tent , and I wondered if you'd got one for about fifty pounds.

Verity: Oh no, I'm afraid not, sir. Our cheapest tent is eight hundred pounds, sir.

Father & Scout: Eight hundred pounds?

Lambert: Excuse me, sir, but before I go, I ought to have told you that Mr Verity does tend to exaggerate. Every figure he gives you will be ten times too high.

Father : I see.

Lambert: Otherwise he's perfectly all right.

Father : I see. Er... your cheapest tent then is eighty pounds?

Verity: Eight hundred pounds, yes, sir.

Father : I see. And how wide is it?

Verity: It's sixty feet wide.

Father : Yes...

Scout: (whispers) Sixty feet!

Father : (whispers) Six foot wide, you see.

Scout: (whispers) Oh.

Father : ...and the length?

Verity: The length is ... er ... just a moment. Mr Lambert, what is the length of the Sierra Deluxe?

Lambert: Ah. Two foot long.

Father : Two foot long?

Verity: Yes, remembering of course that you have to multiply everything Mr Lambert says by three. It's nothing he can help, you understand. Otherwise he's perfectly all right.

Father : I see, I'm sorry.

Verity: But it does mean that when he says a tent is two foot long, it is in fact sixty foot long, all right?

Father : Yes, I see.

Verity: That's without the ground cloth of course.

Father : How much is that?

Verity: Er, Mr Lambert will be able to tell you that. Lambert! Could you show these twenty good people the dog kennels, please?

Father : Dog kennels? No, no, the ground cloths!

Verity: I'm sorry, you have to say 'dog kennel' to Mr Lambert, because if you say ground cloths ' he puts a bucket* over his head. I should have explained. Otherwise he's perfectly all right.

Father : Oh. Ah. I see. Er, excuse me, could you show us the dog kennels, please, hm?

Lambert: Dog kennels?

Father : Yes, we want to look at the dog kennels, hm.

Lambert: Ah yes, well that's the pets' department, second floor.

Father : No, no, no, we want to see the DOG KENNELS.

Lambert (irritated): Yes, second floor.

Father : No, we don't want to see dog kennels, it's just that Mr Verity said that...

Lambert: Oh dear, what's he been telling you now?

Father : Well, he said we should say 'dog kennels' instead of saying ' ground cloths '.

(Lambert puts bucket on his head)

Father : Oh dear. Hello? Hello? Hello?

Verity: (approaching) Did you say ground cloths

Father : Well, yes, er...

Lambert: (muffled) I'm not coming out!

Verity: I did ask you not to say ground cloths, didn't I?

Father : But I mean, er...

Lambert: (muffled) I'm not!

Father : Oh.

Verity: Now I've got to get him to the fish tank and sing.

Father : Oh.

Verity: (sings) And did those feet, in ancient time...

Another assistant: (walking up, hearing the singing) Oh dear, did somebody say ground cloths to Mr Lambert?

Father : Yes, I did.

(Assistant gives nasty look at Father )

Verity: (still singing) ...walk upon England's mountains green...

(Assistant joins in) ...and was the Holy Lamb of God...

(Lambert removes bucket; Verity and Assistant immediately stop singing; assistant leaves.)

Verity: He should be all right now, but don't...you know...*don't*!

Father : No, no. (to Lambert) Excuse me, could we see the dog kennels please?

Lambert (irritated): Yes, pets department, second floor.

Father : No, no, no. Those dog kennels, like that. You see?

Lambert: ground cloth?

Father : (relieved) Yes.

Lambert: But if you want a ground cloth, why not say ground cloth?

Father : (nervously) Ha ha, I mean...

Lambert: I mean, it's a little confusing for me when you say 'dog kennel' if you want a ground cloth. Why not just say ground cloth?

Father : But you put a bucket over your head last time we said ground cloth

(Lambert puts the bucket over his head again)

Verity: (running on the scene again) Oh dear! (sings) And did those feet...

Assistant: (to Father ) We did ask!

(duet) ...in ancient times, walk upon England's mountains green...

(singing continues throughout the next few lines of dialogue)

Yet another assistant: (running in) Did somebody say ground cloths to Mr Lambert?

(Cleese points angrily towards the Father and Scout)

Verity: Twice!

Other Assistant: (shouting throughout the store) Hey, everybody! Somebody said ground cloths to Mr Lambert -- twice! (joins in the singing)

(they carry on singing)

Verity: It's not working, we need more!

_(The entire troop begins to sing in the background. eventually Lambert removes the bucket again and they stop singing)_

Lambert: I'm sorry, can I help you?

Scout: (brightly) We want a ground cloth

_(Lambert puts the bucket over his head again. Verity, Father and assistants all groan and glare accusingly at scout)_

Scout: But it's my only line!!!