Help! Parent meeting TONIGHT

I could use a little help, on the qt. Found out just recently that I'm supposed to be doing a pre-camp parent meeting in about 3 hours. I have run summer camps in the past but I haven't gone to BSA camp in the past myself. Could use some quick/short thoughts on what to tell these people!

Here's my list so far, off the top of my head and in no particular order:

On Gear and packing it:

1. You can never have too many pairs of extra socks and if your son doesn't pack rain gear, it'll be guaranteed to rain the whole week.

2. If it doesn't have a name on it, don't expect it to come home.

3. Don't send clothing or other items that you'd be upset if they don't come home in pristine condition.

4. Summer camp isn't the best place for family heirlooms or expensive electronics.

5. Your son should pack his own stuff. But it would help if you encouraged him to use the checklist we gave him.

6. Your son has a list of the recommended pre-reqs for the mbs he chose. Hopefully he'll read those and bring the recommended items with him.

On rules, expectations, etc.

1. Everybody follows camp rules, adults too. No exceptions!

2. No self-medication (exceptions for inhalers, etc.) - everything gets turned in as a matter of state law.

3. If there's a medical or behavioral issue we need to know about as leaders, PLEASE TELL US AHEAD OF TIME.

4. Boys won't be making phone calls home and they won't be available to take calls either, except in true emergencies. They'll be too busy having fun.

5. Write letters and send them early, but keep them positive.

6. Parents are welcome to come for day visits. Please arrange this with the troop prior to departure for camp so we know when to expect you. And if you promised your son you'd come, make sure you're there. Note that boys won't be leaving camp with their parents mid-week.

I want to keep it short and you can see I'm struggling already! There are about 1000 things I COULD include - which of these (or others) would you say are crucial?

By the way we have about 30 boys going, 10 of which will be first-time BSA campers and another 8 or so who did not do traditional BSA camp last year. So many parents are going to be new to this.

Lisa'bob

You hit my key points. I don't have access to my notes for our annual meeting, but you've hit the high points. Medical rules vary from camp-to-camp and state-to-state. So I can't help you there.

We discourage mid-week visits, but encourage them to visit family night. We too have the "no going home" rule. Our saying is "go home Friday, don't come back Monday"... a little harsh, but it gets the point across.

We talk about discipline as well. We generally follow the three strikes approach. One problem, we talk to him and tell parents about it after camp - second problem, we call parents to get input/advice - third problem, parents need to come take him home. We've only had to make a phone call once, and we did not have to send him home. (Problems here refer to significant issues like fighting, arguing with leaders, destruction of property, etc..., Also, major discipline issues may cause an immediate dismissal from camp - such as pulling a knife on someone.)

Don't you just love that last minute stuff?

Your list hits the high points. Only things I would add are: water bottle, sun screen and bug spray. Three items always needed, but often forgotten, by our guys each summer.

Have fun!

Zip lock baggies are your friends. Socks and shirts fit in them for the boys. That way they stay dry and don't get filthy w/ everything else in their tote. We recommend our boys use Rubbermaid totes for their camp gear. Zip lock baggies also hold sunblock, shampoo, and soap for the duration of camp. They hold bug spray too, but that is something our boys actually use, as opposed to the 5 S's above.

You'll do fine.

YiS

Michelle

HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE!!

That means water, maybe a little Propel or Gatorade, and water. Water is ESSENTIAL. Water! Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!

Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!Water!

Did I mention, water is a pretty good idea?

Not to sound too obvious, but the two camps we went to in the last 3 years had all this information posted on their web sites, as part of the camp 'packet'. Perhaps your camp has something similar posted on their web site ( if they have one, or perhaps the councils ) and you won't have to reinvent the wheel.

However, a couple anecdotes from my experience.

1) Yes, you can have too many socks. These guys don't change hardly ANY of their clothing the entire week. I've seen kids pack 4 t-shirts and wear only one the entire week, and they blend in with the dirt so well its hard to find them at weeks end! :-)

2) Don't pack anything WHITE. ( see above )

3) Mandatory shower on Friday night ( see above ).

Have fun! :-)

Don't over pack! You can have too much underwear & too many socks!

Bring a couple water bottles!

Don't bring food! Critters like snacks more than you do!

Bring shower stuff. You will be taking them!

Good shoes for trails!

Rain gear! It will rain!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

(This message has been edited by evmori)

Thanks everyone for the tips, they were helpful. Things went fine. The camp we're going to has voluminous amounts of (frequently contradictory) information but no parent guides.

Lisa'bob