What is your favorite way to be welcomed home after a week of camping?

This thread brought back a most memorable homecoming of a first year scout and his mom. We had been over a Camp Easton on Lake Coeur d Alene. The young scout had earned his finger carving merit badge. His father was along and took him into the town of Coeur d Alene to be stitched up. He had his figure all wrapped up in a big white bandage.

I rode back with him and his dad in a 14 passenger van that his dad had borrowed. After crossing the whole state of Washington and getting to half mile from church, smoke poured from the engine. We pulled into a mini-mart parking lot. We called his mom to rescue us and ferry us to the church.

His mom rolled up and the new scout ran to greet her, waving his bandaged finger. She about fainted on the spot. It seems Dad hadnt called to inform her. I took the rest of the scouts across the lot so they could have some family time

Thanks for this thread Laurie. I got some wonderful ideas for when my son comes home. He goes to camp next Sunday and it'll be his first week away. I'm happy your son has such a great experience. Let us know as more of the details come out!

Oh, I hope your son has as much fun as my son had! The details keep coming, and I'm proud of how he did, so thanks for giving me a venue to share :)

First, a caution. Be aware that not all that goes to camp will come home again. I knew this, and I chose carefully when it came to certain things. For instance, the brand new jacket stayed home in favor of an old rather worn jacket. Good move--he left it behind. Along with most of his socks (what a puzzle that is!), a sweatshirt, and a smashed camping lamp. Oh a toothbrush too, though that may have been lost early in the week--ewwwww. In my opinion, that is fantastic for packing.

My husband's opinion was different. He felt that our son was not responsible, that he didn't do what we expected. That got our son from a happy confident self (something I haven't seen for years) to a crying ready to quit self. So, if you have expectations, either ditch them or make them with your son.

I did not have expectations, other than those I always have for him: be respectful, try to remember to be clean (no mom, no shower--hooray!), things like that. I suspected that he would not follow through on at least 1 MB because it was too "bookish" for his liking; he did not follow through. He is not a swimmer; I hoped he would take swimming lessons, even pushed that, but suggested that at a minimum he have someone in his troop help him learn to swim. He spent every day but one (it rained) in the pool with his patrol leader, and it sounds as though he knows a lot about swimming now. It wasn't the lessons offered, but it was a start; he has been afraid to swim since he was a baby. He announced that no way would he go horseback riding (terrified of animals) or caving (just not interested). It turned out that he now wants to earn his horsemanship MB and he enjoyed the caving. He also adjusted his own expectations; he learned what camp was about and what MBs are like.

Remember I said he got emotional and was ready to quit? He and I have been talking...a lot. (Could you tell I'm a talker? hee hee) Most importantly, I've been listening carefully. Drawing him out. Learning the details. This child was not irresponsible when it came to the lamp. He loaned it out, then it got passed around, then someone broke it and offered to replace it for him. He said no, that it was his responsibility and he's have to take care of it, but thanks. He didn't do all of astronomy because he was tired; observation was at 11pm and he wanted to sleep. These 2 incidents alone show me that our son practiced good judgement. I told him so, and though he and I both know he needs to work on honesty, he knows that my praise of his actions was sincere. He needed to receive it; I needed to give it. These aren't just Scouting lessons; these are life lessons. Fun that leads to a more grown up boy who is more prepared to deal with the world around him--wow, it doesn't get better than that.

Encourage your son (I'm sure you do already) and don't be surprised if he comes home a rather different kid than when he left :) I know our son wanted his dad's approval more than mine; oh how that showed to me. I hope that comes soon. In the meantime, he and I have been able to talk about how to prepare for future trips--with him taking the lead and telling me how he thinks he can do better. He just needed the freedom to forget a thing or two, to change his schedule, and to have a mishap.

And just give him that hug--even in front of the whole troop! The other kids were a site for this mom, all of them looking mighty good to me too. And encourage, encourage, encourage. Find things to praise him for, and then heap it on with sincerity. This is a huge step for a young boy.

Fresh sheets on the bed, taking on the unpacking and laundry for him once we reached our driveway, having an easy to prepare favorite food ready to make if wanted, and having clean clothes for him--that's what mattered. Also, a long hot soak in the tub with an assortment of soaps and big thick towels. The willingness to let him go out on his own and quietly readjust though I was longing for details. He appreciated all of this.(This message has been edited by Laurie)

Laurie, you brought tears to my eyes! Someone said it earlier (I can't remember who), and I agree, it sounds like you're a great Mom. I'm excited for Jon to go to camp. I miss him like crazy, but I can't wait to see how he does. He's not as anxious as I am, in fact he's having some anxiety over the whole idea. I trust his leaders completely and I know they will watch out for him.

Thank you, Laurie, for sharing such a great story, and also for reminding me of the pride and delight I felt when my sons first went off to camp and did well.

My youngest just graduated from high school and will leave soon for college, so as you can imagine, he has been much on my mind. He did so well as a Scout, and it carried over to his other activities as well.

I did have to laugh about the missing items. If we could magically recover all the clothing my son lost at Scout camp, music camp, sports camps, high school music trips, and just plain going to school, we could outfit a small country. You come to expect it. Although it was a shock when he went to the Boundary Lakes and his glasses blew away in a sudden storm. (His father is up there now; wonder if he will find them?)

My husband and I have had lively discussions about many of the topics in this forum, but this is the first time I have been tempted to reply. Thanks again, Laurie.

mrs. r.f.

Laurie,

Your son "survived" his first summer camp! Next year, have dad attend with son and the son can "teach" dad a few things. That should change the tune of both dad and son. Congrats.

Reading this thread has reminded me of many happy homecomings from troop campouts, summer camp, and even college and other far-flung trips (six weeks in Peru while in college.) Thank you for the happy memories.

My thought waxes philosophical -- Webelos to Scout Transition is optional. Many do not progress to the ranks of Boy Scouting.

But boy to man transition is not optional. It is a part of life. I for one, think that the transition is off to a good start when it begins with a week at Boy Scout Summer Camp.

I'm not a parent, so I really don't understand how hard it is to let go. But having successfully made the boy to man transition, I can tell you that I appreciate my parents for letting me go in an admiring and dignified fashion.

And when I got home, I wanted the hug and a good long nap.

DS

mrs red feather: your post made me laugh! Our son has glasses, and I wasn't sure they'd come home (thinking they could easily be broken--he is very good with them--but a week in a tent is a big change!), so we took a broken back-up pair to the doctor to have ready for him when he came home--just in case :) Outfitting a small country--that has had me laughing as I pack up for another trip!

ds: our son only just turned 11, and I've been praying and preparing for 12 years now to be able to let him go bit by bit. It is not easy, but there is no greater joy than seeing my baby first learn to walk with teetering first steps, then to read and write, then to go out on his own for a bit. He actually told me this week that he feels more confident, that he learned he could really take care of himself. That is priceless--that is yet one more step toward growing up.

Thanks to all for sharing this fun time with me :)