How to promote uniform pride

My son fights wearing his uniform, or at least he doesn't want to wear any more of the uniform than anyone else in the troop. I know that boys seem to only want to wear as much as everyone else and don't want to stick out. Troops that wear more of the full uniform seem to have most of the boys doing the same. Our troop seems to only wear shirts. Getting him to wear the tie and slide is a battle. I insist that for boards and courts and as Den Chief at Pack meetings he wear the whole nine yards but it's a battle. He hates the fit of the pants (cut classically/traditionally) and feels that he looks overdone in the full uniform and that at least the Cubs will not want to join "his" troop if they think they have to dress that way. I, of course, think that the younger boys like to see the full uniform and think it's cool. Anyone else fight this battle?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yarrow,

I think we have all experienced the same problem at one time or another.

In my Troop, I only require full uniforms at special functions like Courts of Honor, Scout Sunday, etc. For Troop meetings, I require our Troop 1 shirts. This seems to "take the pressure off". However, I do require my SPL & APSL to be in full uniform Troop meetings. Setting the example for the rest of the Scouts. I am always in full uniform for all Scout functions.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

With the high cost of uniform pants and the rate that a 11-14 year old outgrows them, our troop requires that the boys wear the uniform shirt and troop neckerchief to our troop meetings with a clean, neat pair of jeans. No sweat pants, cutoffs, or jeans with holes, tears, studs, chains, etc. If they want to wear shorts, they have to be official scout shorts. They all must have a complete summer uniform to wear for Summer Camp and/or High Adventure trips. At special occasions we require them to wear the summer uniform even in the winter. They can wear sweats over them and take them off at the meeting place. This seems to work well and we get very little complaints from either the scouts or parents.

We've had some success in our troop by having periodic uniform inspection and awarding an official uniform inspection patch. We've also awarded one Hershey's kiss for each uniform part that is worn: shirt, pants, belt, socks, neckerchief, cap, insignia. That way everybody gets at least one treat.

We have also, in the past, come to an agreement with the Scouts about uniform. Sometimes none, other times shirts only, other times full uniform. If it was an issue we have tried a 'wear what you think our uniform should be' night ... at the meeting explain your reasons and have a troop discussion. Some very reasonable discussions ensued and usually a Troop policy that all agreed on.

Did I say 'in the past'.... seems that I have slipped! I started a new troop 1 year ago and haven't worked on this issue. Is that why one or two are rebelling on uniform? I can be thick sometimes. Thanks for the reminder - I'll talk to the P/L's next meeting.

One thing we do is explain to the scouts and parents from the day they join that the scout uniform consists of official shirt, pants, belt, and socks. That the only options are hat and neckerchief. We opt not to wear the hat and we provide the neckerchief and all the patches for the uniform.

Where I see units getting in poor uniform habits is when they stary from BSA uniform policies. Pants for instance is not a locally controlled option. Wearing jeans with a scout uniform is no different then wearing a sweaqt shirt with scout pants. Either one is out of uniform.

The purpose is not to look alike within the unit. It is to be consistant as a program. The things we are trying to teach with the uniform, like good grooming, and a sense of belonging, can't be taught as effectively in just a shirt.

I don't think boy's who have not yet gotten the entire uniform should be punished but, should we lower our expectation by setting unauthorized uniform rules in the unit?

Positive reinforcement for complete correct uniforming is a great idea. I laso suggest that for a court of honor you bring in a Police officer, Fire fighter, Football player, baseball player, Adult in a suit and a scout in a full and correct uniform and have them stand near each other. then have an adult in a uniform shirt with, jeans, tennis shoes, stand in line with them. You will see very quickly that there is a differnce between weaqring the scout shirt and wearing the scout uniform.

I am a fairly new Scout Master with mostly brand new scouts. I don't think it would be a problem to get any of them to wear the proper uniform (in fact, I think they all want to wear the uniform), the problem is getting them a uniform. Does anyone know anything about the C.U.B. CodyAK web site? Has anyone done business with them? Are they still up and running?

We do monthly uniform inspections, and I recently realized that we were giving the same credit for a troop t-shirt as we were for the official BSA shirt with all insignia properly affixed; ditto for the pants...same points for a pair of jeans and the official pants/belt. My internal "foul buzzer" went off, and we've changed our inspection criteria so you get extra points for official shirt vs. t-shirt, official pants vs. jeans, and so on. So what? Well, we're starting a "patrol of the month" recognition system modeled after the B-P Patrol Award criteria, of which uniform wear is a part. My plan is, if we get the patrols vying for POM, they'll qualify for the B-P Patrol Award, too.

Why not just require full uniforming? I've said this on other threads, might as well get on the soap box again. If BSA isn't willing to make a full uniform a joining requirement, or EVER require a uniform for that matter, how much leverage do we have at the unit level to require full uniforms? None, that's how much.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the "too expensive" argument, especially when the same parents complaining about the cost don't blink over the $150 Nikes they just bought for Junior. Granted, the items aren't cheap, and part of that is BSA's fault, but there are options other than "buy it new at the Scout store" like thrift shops, EBay auctions, etc. Uncomfortable? Sorry, don't buy that one either. My son plays football, and he'll be the first to tell you the pads, cup, and helmet are anything but comfortable. But, once he gets on the field, he's so focused on the game and how much fun he's having, he doesn't even notice the equipment. I'm not saying it's mind over matter, but what I am saying is that if the program's fun, the fit of the pants will become insignificant. One thing my son does say, and he's no whiner, is that the shorts are too short -- way too much leg sticking out of those things. I don't know what to do except let the hem out as far as we can and hope for the best.

KoreaScouter,

The BSA does require a full uniform. They just don't require it to join. But know where does the BSA say "wear jeans if you want" or "you can wear something that looks alot like a scout uniform, that's OK"

If scouters and scouts units set local rules in spite of the uniform policies, how will saying you need to have the uniform when you join be any different?

The quickest, most effective way to promote correct uniforming?

Local units and volunteers need to wear the correct uniform-set the right example-stop making lame excuses to not wear the official uniform.

As was said before, the best way for a leader to get correct uniforming is by wearing the correct uniform themselves. The previous SM of our troop wore a full uniform for the first few years he was SM and encouraged but didn't require it of the kids. Our uniforming during those days was ok, but not great. A couple of years back, the SM gained a chunk of weight so he only wore the shirt and changed his tune quite a bit. Consequently, the kids went to wearing just their shirts (not tucking them in or barely buttoning them, etc.) I've always worn a full uniform (short of a hat, which I always have with me but don't like to wear) and expect the same from the kids in the troop. Now, all of the kids wear their shirts correctly, their troop neckerchiefs, belts, and about half wear the correct pants. There have been several threads discussing this. As I've said before, in my troop over the years, plus watching different units (as an OA unit elections official), the best troops I've seen were always the ones that were the best uniformed.

• 10 months later...

KS,

You mentioned buying $150 Nikes for the kid, but not paying however much for the official uniform...

Well, I beleive you are right to some extent. Paying $150 for shoes in crazy, but so is paying $100-110 for a uniform. Especially if the pants couldnt withstand a campout. I know paying for new sporting gear is coming soon, and I feel that sporting gear does get used more sometimes and will need replacement sooner. Also, sporting gear is usually going to be worth it.

Please forgive me for resending this reply. I sent it to a similar discussion last week and maybe a few didn't see it. I hope it suggest a few ideas that will help.

The uniform gives identity. It is an equalizer in that everyone starts equal by wearing it. The poor are equal with the rich. The Catholic is equal with the Jew. A boy from California looks no different from the boy from New York. You wont have to feel intimidation to try looking as important as the other guy does. The uniform also gives self-identity. A scout can set himself apart from the other scout by rank, leadership, patrol and even elite organizations like OA. While we start out as equals, our character and personalities sets us on different paths in life. The patches on the uniform identify our goals, dreams, experiences and rewards. Each scout is an individual when he wears the uniform.

The scout uniform gives a perception. An elderly womens car breaks down late at night in an unfamiliar part of town. Two boys approach her from opposite sides of the street. Only one is in a Boy Scout uniform. Who will she pick to ask for help? Why? Once while traveling to Backpack in the Pecos, we stop to visit the Santa Fe art festival. Our scouts asked for a break from uniforms but the adults wore theirs. Our scouts were very impressed when we adults were given free lunches by the venders. They said it was a way of saying thanks. But it was more than that, out of crowd of thousands of people, we were identified as people of higher respect. Its fair to admit your scout's friends in school may not be seen wearing a scout uniform, but if they were to ask the qualities of a scout, more than likely character, trustworthy, and leader would come up, even from their friends. The Boy Scout uniform is well respected by most all.

The uniform is a tool to build character. Sit down with your PLC and ask them what is the proper uniform. As an adult, you do not need to answer, and in fact more than likely you would be wrong too. After the discussion has been beat in the ground, ask the SPL to read the proper uniform from his handbook. At another time, ask the scouts about making decisions, when is it ok to make good ones, bad ones and so on. Mention the saying of Character is what you have when nobody is looking. Ask the scouts for examples of that. Youre given the incorrect change at a store, or you see someone who needs help opening a door. Is it fair to say that we can develop the habit of making bad decisions as well as good ones? Yes, in fact that is our job is to practice good habits in the troop. If a scout decides to not wear the uniform described in the book, is that a good decision, or bad. What habit is he feeding?

Barry

• 4 months later...

You all seem to have some very good input on the subject. I have been in scouting for fifteen years and have noticed that the uniform hasn't really changed and that the price doesn't reflect a nonprofit organization of youth both of which doesn't suggest haven't money to pay for expensive clothing that is usually out grown. While uniform exchages are good I think that it would also be usefull if there were an option to buy the zip off pants. This and double as pants or shorts and are very helpfull when hiking. I have suggests that my troop adopt this idea and that national do that same my troop took all to easily and I haven't heard from national. I thought I would see what some other poeple have to say.